PDA

View Full Version : speedlines on a SR

Joe Richardson
18-02-09, 11:25 PM
hello all:)

If i was to put speedlines on my standard SR,which has been lowered just a bit,would i have to do anything to the arches,so that the wheel doesn't touch.

looking forward to the comments:thumb:

Joe

Jay
18-02-09, 11:29 PM
Dont do it!

Joe Richardson
18-02-09, 11:33 PM
Dont do it!

lol

I knew someone would say that,they look stunning on them though!!!

Jay
18-02-09, 11:38 PM
Everyone on this site will say it, your car is uber mint and adding the most popular wheels for a nova will just kill it IMO.

Joe Richardson
18-02-09, 11:41 PM
Everyone on this site will say it, your car is uber mint and adding the most popular wheels for a nova will just kill it IMO.

know what you are saying Jay:thumb:

andrew1988
19-02-09, 09:02 AM
**** everyone else joe, i think it'll look good. Never had speedlines on my cars but my cav slabs needed the arch lip bending up with 50 profile tyres.

Pistol Pete
19-02-09, 09:05 AM
You will need to tuck the lip on the arches IIRC. But, yeah fit them by all means. I think they will look good. Its your car do what YOU want to do.

ade
19-02-09, 10:34 AM
speedlines do look good on a Nova - regardless of the model.

Before you attempt to fit them though, check the inner arch (just run your finger along the edge) - if its all rough and sharp (be careful re cutr fingers) then your lips have gone and it might be too much hastle rolling them - rolling them up will mean water will sit in the trough you create - if you seal them you're just encasing the rust thats already there - which will continue to spread.

Be careful whel rolling too so you dont crack the paint on the lips...

Andy
19-02-09, 10:56 AM
Whats wrong with just grinding away the necessary room required?
Rather than folding the lip which will cause it to rust as ade pointed out

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 10:59 AM
lol

I knew someone would say that,they look stunning on them though!!!

i would say go for it but keep your sr alloys aswell my speedlines may go back on mine soon like!! but just depends how low it is i had to take mine off at a 60mm drop beacause the osr just sat on the arch when i lowerd the jack lol

ade
19-02-09, 11:00 AM
be careful when gringinf not to go beyond the welds. Grinding is okay but you then have to reseal the edges - which is just encasing the existing rot.

It all depends on how much they catch by...

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 11:02 AM
Whats wrong with just grinding away the necessary room required?
Rather than folding the lip which will cause it to rust as ade pointed out

i allways got told to do that but never wanted to as i thought it was a bad idea so i brought it up with my mate who ownes killer customs (paul) he has had hundreds off novas he said that the rear arches provide some off the strength to the rear off the car but basicly he said to do that would be pretty stupid!! id just have them rolled if its going to be allot off work if there fooked fit some new ones lol but i would have rather have stayed with the small wheels than cut my arches lol

Andy
19-02-09, 11:09 AM
i allways got told to do that and when i brought it up to my mate who ownes killer customs (paul) he has had hundreds off novas he said that the rear arches provide some off the strength to the rear off the car but basicly he said to do that would be pretty stupid!!
Nah its not stupid,its much neater.The arches provide strength? I dont think so

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 11:10 AM
i dont know like but thats what i got told id rather have them rolled any way me!!

Andy
19-02-09, 11:13 AM
i dont know like but thats what i got told id rather have them rolled any way me!!
And then rust your nice car into oblivion.Because when its rolled its like a water channel,think of your house gutter,as thats what its like:thumb:

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 11:15 AM
well no beacause my sr only comes out in the dry and i couldent really give a sh*t if my gte rusted lol but id still rather roll them they werent that bad on the grey nova i had and they were rolled!!

Andy
19-02-09, 11:18 AM
well no beacause my car only comes out in the dry
It always puzzles me when i hear people say that-what happens if theres a sudden thunderstorm when your driving home from miles away?
Your car will obviously carry water then,
Do front arches need work to take speedlines etc?

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 11:21 AM
It always puzzles me when i hear people say that-what happens if theres a sudden thunderstorm when your driving home from miles away?
Your car will obviously carry water then,
Do front arches need work to take speedlines etc?

to be honest the only time the car is out on road when its wet is when its on its way to shows lol most off the time it does well f*ck all!! it can get wet on my drive but usually its all coverd up!!

not really well i had the front of one off mine droped 60mm and didnt have any problems!!

but to be totally honest i would not have either off these methods done to my sr f*ck rolling them beacause i know it can be done wrong! and f*ck cutting it the arches they stay how they are lol

see if they f*ck it up joe you could be stuck with getting new rear arches and then you'd have to get the vinly replaced this is why i would not have either method done!! hopefully they will fit under but they will rub!!! go for 195/40/16 aswell dont go for 45's this may save your arches some but this depends on how low it is!!

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 11:48 AM
And then rust your nice car into oblivion.Because when its rolled its like a water channel,think of your house gutter,as thats what its like:thumb:

not trying to be funny or owt like dude its just my preferance!! but tbh dude id rather have neither done!! out off the 2 id rather roll but thats beacause i dont like the thought off cutting it but id do neither to my sr F*CK that!!

Andy
19-02-09, 12:19 PM
not trying to be funny or owt like dude its just my preferance!! but tbh dude id rather have neither done!! out off the 2 id rather roll but thats beacause i dont like the thought off cutting it but id do neither to my sr F*CK that!!
I wasnt either:) I was just saying what it would be like:thumb:

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 12:31 PM
I wasnt either:) I was just saying what it would be like:thumb:

yea dont worry i wouldent get doing it to my sr like id do neither just incase!!

but i dont know its just what i got told but i dont really like the thought off either!! i supose when my speedlines go back on my gte id be beter off cutting them as that will get driven every day and its cheaper than rolling beacause i can do it and it wont rust the new arches i will have put on!!

Matt
19-02-09, 12:50 PM
Doubt they'll catch on the arch lip tbh if you run 195/45 tyres, although I think the Mk1's do have a slightly wider lip than Mk2's. The wheels are most likely to rub on the inside of the arch. If you find it does rub, just remove the wheel and you'll be able to see inside the arch where the tyre has been rubbing. A few wacks with a hammer (which is perfectly fine) should sort it out. If you do have trouble with them catching on the arch lip then get some sealent stuck behind the lip and have them folded properly!

I think you should go with the speedline btw and keep the 3 spokes so you can put it back to standard if you want to. 3 spokes in general look naff imo.

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 01:14 PM
Doubt they'll catch on the arch lip tbh if you run 195/45 tyres, although I think the Mk1's do have a slightly wider lip than Mk2's. The wheels are most likely to rub on the inside of the arch. If you find it does rub, just remove the wheel and you'll be able to see inside the arch where the tyre has been rubbing. A few wacks with a hammer (which is perfectly fine) should sort it out. If you do have trouble with them catching on the arch lip then get some sealent stuck behind the lip and have them folded properly!

I think you should go with the speedline btw and keep the 3 spokes so you can put it back to standard if you want to. 3 spokes in general look naff imo.

they did catch on mine like matey!! id say do it aswell as the 3 spokes dont look that good like but i have them on mine at the moment but thats beacause ive got 90mm springs on the back now!! im going to go for some smaller wheels on the sr so i dont have to modify my arches as i dont think its worth it!!!

the speedlines will have to go on my gte lol or a sallon when i get one!!

Matt
19-02-09, 04:10 PM
they did catch on mine like matey!!

Aye, some will catch, some wont. No two shells are the same due to the shocking tolerances on Novas when they were built. Best bet is to just try them and see. You might be lucky, they might not catch atall!

Spudly
19-02-09, 07:04 PM
Aye, some will catch, some wont. No two shells are the same due to the shocking tolerances on Novas when they were built. Best bet is to just try them and see. You might be lucky, they might not catch atall!

+Rep for actually understanding novas and having real knowledge:thumb:

If youre only lowering a small amount say -35 or -40mm then no you will be fine aslong as youre running 195-45 tyres on them, tbh you could find you dont have problems dropping it -60mm as my mates old SRi was dropped -60 and had speedlines on and didnt catch, i used to run an XE with speedlines and that didnt catch either (was down about -40mm but unsure as it was on coilovers)

Try it and see but im pretty confident if youre only lowering a small amount as you said then you will have no need for arch mods!

SKoob
19-02-09, 07:05 PM
I say put some anthracite 15" Compomotive MOs on there

Nick J
19-02-09, 07:06 PM
As some have said above no two novas are the same, At the rear many have more clearance at one side than the other, If your car is only lowered a small amount Id say you'll have no problem with the inner arches at the rear as its only with quite substantial drops that this happens. The outer lip on the rear probably will catch however. If you grind a small amount off the lip It would then have to be repainted just as If you have the arches folded. I would advise folding as this is a proper method when sealed and waxoiled properly to prevent water sitting in there you wont have any problems. A good panel beater should be able to sort this without any filling being necessary too. The front arch lips also can cause problems dependant again on how low the car is. Grinding these imo is a no no as the wings lose all strength and become as floppy as a clio plastic wing! Again imo folding is the correct way as you retain the wings strength and gain the clearance you need. If you fold all four arches you will probably be able to lower the car 60-80mm all round until you will have inner arch problems at the rear. I have allesios using 195/40 tyres and the car is lowered approx 80mm all round. All arches are folded and I have no problems. 45 series tyres on the front occasionally caught the front wing slightly when I had them on the car previously. Hope this helps.

Nick.

mk2maniac
21-02-09, 07:56 PM
some of them have a differen offset so sometimes could prove difficult without doing arches