PDA

View Full Version : Big valve head price

wilson_sri
18-02-09, 06:49 PM
Got a quote from Cylinder head developments to big valve spec my cylinder head today. Dont have a clue what a decent price is for the work on a nova 8 valve head though, so thought some of the oldies on here might? Quote was £511 including VAT, and included the following work.

strip head
abd chemically clean
fully open up and flow inlet and exhaust ports
3 angle valve seats
stainless steel oversize inlet and exhaust valves
polish and balance combustion chambers
skim headface
valve stem oil seals
rebuild head

That seem fair? What about the head skimming? Surely it wont be good for my compression?

krobinson
18-02-09, 07:08 PM
Cost me £650 for my 1.3 head to be heavily ported and upgraded to group A valves. But that price included solid lifters too.

wilson_sri
18-02-09, 08:26 PM
So yo reckon its a fair price? The guys seem to have a good reputation, so would rather pay a wee bit extra for it to be done properly.

Are the gains really worth it?

novaxe235
18-02-09, 08:27 PM
my 16v head on my old nova was bought from andy and i think i paid 750 inc postage and vat same spec head as you've been quoted for .depending on your engine spec yes the gains are worth it .

Dar
18-02-09, 08:30 PM
Seems like a fair price to me.

John
18-02-09, 08:34 PM
I've seen a cylinder head dev xe head, work was top notch! That cost about £700 iirc, so i'd say your price is fair.

Stuart
18-02-09, 08:46 PM
make sure you get a before and after flow bench test :D otherwise they could simply wave a dremmel at the head and say "yep thats ported"

novasrikev
18-02-09, 09:07 PM
that is a good price dude

Sloth
18-02-09, 09:14 PM
as stu said, before and after ftw

krobinson
18-02-09, 09:21 PM
Yeah thats a good price. Gains can be massive on an N/A engine if used with a good cam and twin carbs.

Should make an excellent improvement on your turbo!

Stuart
18-02-09, 09:34 PM
Yeah thats a good price. Gains can be massive on an N/A engine if used with a good cam and twin carbs.

Should make an excellent improvement on your turbo!

with the right cam ;) ie NOT an N/A high rev spec

krobinson
18-02-09, 09:36 PM
with the right cam ;) ie NOT an N/A high rev spec

N/A engines make power by putting the powerband higher up the rev range.

Stuart
18-02-09, 09:43 PM
N/A engines make power by putting the powerband higher up the rev range.

but on a turbo you dont want the overlap that gives an N/A its higher rev range power.

burgo
18-02-09, 09:52 PM
sounds good to me

wilson_sri
18-02-09, 10:23 PM
but on a turbo you dont want the overlap that gives an N/A its higher rev range power.
Sooo will it be worthwhile doing on my engine? Dont want to go wasting money lol

What about the head skimming? Surely im better off not doing this, as will raise the compression?

_JH_
18-02-09, 11:58 PM
If you state you want it refaced, with the minimum possible removed, then the minute compression change is a great trade-off when you consider the consequences if the head isn't true.

If they're as good as people say, then they're the best people to discuss it with

I can't imagine they'd let it out of their hands without a reface.

GRUNT 16V
19-02-09, 08:25 AM
Its About What I Paid For My Old Blydenstien B+ Head About 5 Years Ago !!!!