PDA

View Full Version : Ffs !!!

draper
18-02-09, 05:00 PM
just had a letter from the insurance regarding my claim (from 7months ago) and there not going to pay out :mad: basically there trying to say that because i wasnt living at the house my stuff isnt covered under the policy, surely thats not right ? trip to CAB methinks tomorrow !!

absolute ****ing disgrace - why would they send assesors and loss adjusters out since from the first reporteing they'd of known all this

dj_wudgey
18-02-09, 05:03 PM
beacuase they are time wasting loosers matey!!

Sloth
18-02-09, 05:08 PM
cab mate and a lawyer aswell mate and bill them for it. im sorry to hear there cocking you about..

Spudly
18-02-09, 06:39 PM
As above mate cab and keep at it, insurers will always try to find a way to not pay out so keep at them bud:thumb:

Southie
18-02-09, 06:40 PM
All I can say is that there ... :tosser:

Andy
18-02-09, 10:10 PM
Whatever next, honestly ive heard it all today............

stuartyj21
19-02-09, 06:38 AM
sorry to hear that draper, dont let them away with it...

draper
19-02-09, 06:41 AM
sorry to hear that draper, dont let them away with it...

dont worry mate they wont (hopefully) i have a plan ;)

meritlover
19-02-09, 09:02 AM
basically there trying to say that because i wasnt living at the house my stuff isnt covered under the policy, surely thats not right ?

that is correct. if you tell them you live somewhere when you actually live somewhere else, then your details are incorrect/lies/false.
it would be like anyone else lieing about where they live in order to get a cheaper postcode.

you have to keep your details correct or they wount pay out. that is the game

Tidy Max
19-02-09, 09:56 AM
sorry to be dense but what is cab?

General Baxter
19-02-09, 10:38 AM
lol, we have had a leak in the roof for years, been claming for years, a few months ago they put the scafolding up to have a look, damp has got thru into the house and ****ed all the walls up ect:

now there not oing to repair the outside, but on the inside, rip the roof and walls down, replace it all lol

but the waters still going to come in lol

J4MES
19-02-09, 10:47 AM
lol, we have had a leak in the roof for years, been claming for years, a few months ago they put the scafolding up to have a look, damp has got thru into the house and ****ed all the walls up ect:

now there not oing to repair the outside, but on the inside, rip the roof and walls down, replace it all lol

but the waters still going to come in lol

You'll have to be careful Baxter, after they've finished the work your next renewel will be massive, they might not even insure you!!

My parents got flooded in december and they've not recieved a penny yet and next year they might not be able to get insurance or have a 25k excess on flooding!!

Robbing cnuts...

NOVA-KID-93
19-02-09, 10:53 AM
sorry to be dense but what is cab?

i think its Citizens Advice Bureau!:)

ade
19-02-09, 10:54 AM
cab = citizens advice bureau.

Sorry to hear that mate, however Meritlover has a point - most insurance companies have a clause called "limited unoccupancy" - many state if youre not living there for 60 consecutive days or more, or if youre not living at the address at all but own it, they will put restrictions on the property if you tell them - usually removing contents from the policy. Many will just cancel the policy due to the risk.

It's all to do with the house being left unoccupied = more tempting for burglers who will know if its occupied or not.

Where you living there?

I kow the insurance company I work for - theyre biggest problem just now is people deliberately reducing the level of contents cover in a bid to save money. We had a woman set up a net quote on a 6 bedroom house in Sussex and claimed she only had £15k's worth of contents with £5k's worth of high risk items. I'm sorry but just to kit out a 6 bed house is going to cost at least £40k!

What most people dont realise is that insurance companies use a thing called "averaging" which states if you under insure yourself they will only actually pay out fraction of whats been stolen. theres some mad calculation but basically its less than 1/2 the insured amount - simpy because youve under-insured yourself!

Make sure you're fully covered - go round each room and add up how much all the items cost in that room (as a guide if you tipped your house upside down and shook it - everything that isnt bolted down and falls out is contents). make sure you include clothes, bed linen, towels - cutlery - sofas, beds, pillows, lamps, hi fi's - everything!

If you insured your contents, theres usually a split between whats classed as high risk (stuff thats easily stolen and of value like tv's, dvds, cd's, cameras etc) and stuff thats standard contents (like your sofa, tables, chairs, clothes etc). Its usually 2/3 contents to 1/3 high risk.

Anything thats usually over £1500 (excluding big bulky items like sofas) is usually classed as high risk (eg plasma tv's, computers, push bikes etc). Anything over £2500 is usually specified and most insurers will ask for a receipt or valuation for the latter (eg jewellery, watches etc).

If you have specified items that total over so maky k's mostinsurers will usually exclude these unless theyre kept in a locked safe when not in use.

Also - many insurers will insist on an alarm fitted and used.

You'd be surprised how much contents you have and when you add it all up I bet most of you (or your parents) are under insured!

In this current climate - believe me theft is on the rise and it just isnt worth it...

Hope this helps for future...

ade
19-02-09, 10:58 AM
You'll have to be careful Baxter, after they've finished the work your next renewel will be massive, they might not even insure you!!

My parents got flooded in december and they've not recieved a penny yet and next year they might not be able to get insurance or have a 25k excess on flooding!!

Robbing cnuts...

J4mes - if youre parentrs got flooded out last year because of the flooding in the UK your current insurance company HAVE to insure you because the initially took on the risk. Its all part of some government thing which means that the insurer must stick with you.

Premiums may go up but if theyre in a flood risk area thats to be expected...

Saying that though - they say 65% of the UK is now classed as a "flood risk". Theres a site you can go on that tells you the current water tables in the UK and wheher you're home is at risk...

General Baxter
19-02-09, 11:01 AM
its all to do with the flat roof we got :(

but they took the policy on knowing full well we got a flat roof :)

Jack
19-02-09, 11:47 AM
Saying that though - they say 65% of the UK is now classed as a "flood risk". Theres a site you can go on that tells you the current water tables in the UK and wheher you're home is at risk...
Thats because in an effort to build cheaper housing, developers are buying (or, more often than not, being allocated by the council) cheaper land. Flood plains are cheap as chips, doesn't take a genius to work out why.

House buyers are usually too preoccupied looking for houses they can actually afford, so most don't take stock of the fact that come the next high tide their swish new pad will be a full size aquarium.

Tidy Max
19-02-09, 12:27 PM
ahh, it all makes sense now, cheers

dj_wudgey
19-02-09, 12:40 PM
its all to do with the flat roof we got :(

but they took the policy on knowing full well we got a flat roof :)

well if they did they should be f*cked!!

kelbelle
19-02-09, 02:16 PM
Thats because in an effort to build cheaper housing, developers are buying (or, more often than not, being allocated by the council) cheaper land. Flood plains are cheap as chips, doesn't take a genius to work out why.

House buyers are usually too preoccupied looking for houses they can actually afford, so most don't take stock of the fact that come the next high tide their swish new pad will be a full size aquarium.

Yeah I dont think im classed as a flood plain but my housing association house is right next to a river. The river has got to raise by about 5 metres or so before it gets to me tho lol

ade
19-02-09, 04:50 PM
the future is in canal barges!

no council tax to pay either!

lol

Jack
19-02-09, 05:24 PM
Yeah I dont think im classed as a flood plain but my housing association house is right next to a river. The river has got to raise by about 5 metres or so before it gets to me tho lol
Consider yourself lucky, I think all of Somerset is a flood plain. lol