PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Nova

Dazstap
18-02-09, 02:01 PM
Hello,

I'm new here, but feel that this could be the place to get advice. I have been storing a silk violet Nova Sola (the one with the electric roof) in my garage for the last couple of years. Just before I parked it in there it was featured in owners cars in Total Vauxhall (2006). Shortly after it failed its MOT so was stored as I didn't have the time to get it back on the road.

Well here we are now and it's about to go off for another MOT as I want it back on the road in time for the Billing Show.

My questions are these:

Once it's got a MOT I intend to get some remedial work done to get the body back to new condition. Does anyone know of decent suppliers of body panels? Doors, front slam panel, front crossmember, rear arches.

Secondly, I don't really want to change its appearance from original save for small differences. I am looking for the utopia of interiors - Late GSI in charcoal, how hard are these to get nowadays?

Can anyone advise me on the best way to repair the front crossmember? It has rot, but not right through near to where the rad fits. Is it better to just replace the whole crossmember?

How difficult is it to fit GSI instruments?

I hope to hear back, I dare say I will have more questions later!

Hope you are well today.

Darren

NovaBoi92
18-02-09, 02:08 PM
beavers panels mate, good pattern parts :)

Shaun_O'Donnell
18-02-09, 02:11 PM
Welcome to PNG Darren,

Nice to see another Nova being saved.

Beavers (http://www.beeversautopanels.co.uk/) do decent panels, I have bought from them and been very pleased.

If you intend to go GSI interior, these come up for sale now and again so you shouldn't have any bother getting your hands on, you'll probably have to travel though as sellers tend not to want to post large bulky items. If the interior you have is in good nick, you may want to keep it in as original equipment is becoming very popular.

Have a search for front panel repairs as it's a common job and undertaken a lot.

Shaun.

Mazz
18-02-09, 03:19 PM
If you join the club, i'm sure Beavers offers free P&P, might save you a few quid...

burgo
18-02-09, 03:24 PM
imo if you want to change the front panel you may aswell get one with the crossmember and change it all in one go

Jay
18-02-09, 03:24 PM
imo if you want to change the front panel you may aswell get one with the crossmember and change it all in one go

:thumb:

ant_tay
18-02-09, 03:32 PM
raymond has a gsi interior for sale

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114075

^^^link to his thread^^^

dj_wudgey
18-02-09, 04:17 PM
there used to be one off those around here but it was a right nail!!

ade
18-02-09, 04:45 PM
cross members come in various guises. Theres the complete panel skin (which includes the lower rad section and the light housings), theres the lower cross member skin and the lower cross members with reinforcing box section behind it.

Dpending on how bad it is dependson the ease of work. A local gareg completed my whole lower cross section using a Beaver Auto panels pattern part and they said it was a superb fit! Removing its a bugger though because who bit is a structuural part so its well welded in place however its not impossible. It's just removing the lower section means you have to detatch it from the upper section. Probably easierr replacing the who upper and lower panels in a oner - at least then you have full new metal at the front.

re the gsi clocks, make sure you get the gsi ones and not the gte ones - the plugs (so I'm told) are different on the back. You'll also need to run a green wire from the coil to the clocks to get the volt meter to work...not sure about the oil guage...

And if youre ordering a wad of panels it will be much cheaper if you join the club. Beaver usually charge £10 for every delivery - and that just happens to be the sunscription fee to the club! It also means you can get discounts off club tickets to events (such as Performance Vauxhall, Trax and hopefully VBOA) - so you'll get much more back in return!

Ade
(PNG pimp)

stuartyj21
19-02-09, 06:29 AM
welcome to the png mate...

AlexW
19-02-09, 10:24 AM
Welcome to PNG.

Paul has a GSI interior for sale and hes from southend.

Where abouts in essex are you?

Dazstap
19-02-09, 07:22 PM
Super stuff, I'm in Chelmsford.

Thaks for all of your replies.:thumb:

Graeme
19-02-09, 08:18 PM
Good luck with the Sola, a special spec for the London crowd

AlexW
19-02-09, 09:09 PM
Super stuff, I'm in Chelmsford.

Thaks for all of your replies.:thumb:

AH just up the road from me then. Let me know you if you need help with anything, would love to see the sola too.

Simon 1867
19-02-09, 09:51 PM
might be of help mate
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOVA-GSI-INTERIOR-rear-seats-and-side-panels-SRi_W0QQitemZ140302023451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item140302023451&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1701%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318