PDA

View Full Version : Army

General Lee
18-02-09, 01:05 PM
Hi,

Been thinking for a while to carry out my life long ambition, just asking if anyone has been in the army and what it's like?

Cheers
Nath :thumb:

NovaBoi92
18-02-09, 01:07 PM
one of my best friends is in the army. he really enjoys it but is very physically challenging (to be expected lol) he doesnt regret it one bit. go for it

GRUNT 16V
18-02-09, 01:30 PM
I Regret Not Joining !!!! Wishing I Was In The Marines Right Now !!!!!

General Lee
18-02-09, 01:39 PM

Thats what i don't want to do, i'm 21 and i'm allready regreting not going in when i was 16.

Andy
18-02-09, 01:41 PM
Probably my lifes biggest regret not joining when i was young.Ive got a family now so its not even an option anymore

hc coupe
18-02-09, 01:43 PM
3 of my friends have joined the RAF , 1 has joined the Army , apparently the RAF blokes get it so much better.

bmw156
18-02-09, 01:45 PM
few mates in services, army and navy. lost a friend in the army. to friendly fire from the yanks.

go for it dude. you only live once

General Lee
18-02-09, 01:48 PM
iv'e only got one problem, i go regular jogging about 3-4 miles at night twice a week, i do ok but i just want to check if i have athsma, how would i go about checking that anybody know.

Andy
18-02-09, 01:49 PM
iv'e only got one problem, i go regular jogging about 3-4 miles at night twice a week, i do ok but i just want to check if i have athsma, how would i go about checking that anybody know.
Go and see your quack

bmw156
18-02-09, 01:49 PM

docs.

dj_wudgey
18-02-09, 01:55 PM
thats one thing ive never ever even thought off lol im to lasy me im allergic to hard work like those boys do lol and i have athsma so would not get in any way!!

novalicous
18-02-09, 02:01 PM
this is something that ive been thinkin about for a while now i realy wanna join up but the parents dont thing its one of the best ideas ive had especialy with whats goin on abroad
But with the economic climate as it is at the moment its looking like a good decision
if its what you want go for it :thumb:

General Lee
18-02-09, 02:05 PM
i am going to try and join, i've got the backing of parents and girlfriend, it's just a case of getting financialy stable and get my fitness and muscular endurance up, i want to go into the infantry in the parachute regiment or the rifles not sure which one yet.

novalicous
18-02-09, 02:07 PM
if i were to join up id have to get back into shape lol
and i would want to go into the mechanical engineers

General Lee
18-02-09, 02:53 PM
The thing that has really inspired me lately is the 2 ross kemp series they are just fantastic.

GRUNT 16V
18-02-09, 03:01 PM
War Is A Very Glorious Thing To People Who Have Not Experienced It !!!!!! My Words Of Wisdom!

kc_08
18-02-09, 03:03 PM
jesus the para's lol need to be seriously fit to do that and the infantry, i was about to join was going through my interview stages but i didnt in the end, so many people told me not to, was trained and ready for it, my sisters bf's in there now, phase 2 training and i dont think he's liking it lol, you know what you need to do mate? and the stages? pm if you have any questions, i know abit lol

General Lee
18-02-09, 03:16 PM
War Is A Very Glorious Thing To People Who Have Not Experienced It !!!!!! My Words Of Wisdom!

Thanks, it's a life long ambition so i really need to do this as many people have said to me, you only live once. And i really think i would make a good soldier.

General Lee
18-02-09, 03:22 PM
jesus the para's lol need to be seriously fit to do that and the infantry, i was about to join was going through my interview stages but i didnt in the end, so many people told me not to, was trained and ready for it, my sisters bf's in there now, phase 2 training and i dont think he's liking it lol, you know what you need to do mate? and the stages? pm if you have any questions, i know abit lol

Yeah i know apparently one of the hardest tests in the army, some para work alongside the armys special forces iv'e read too. Thanks for you help i will pm you if i think of anything.

Pistol Pete
18-02-09, 03:34 PM
Go for it. We are here for a good time, not a long time. I regret not joining a few years back, so anyone i speak to who is considering joining..go for it i say. What have you got to lose??!! Oh, and see your GP about the asthma thing. Is it heavy asthma?

Good luck.

draper
18-02-09, 03:40 PM
ive just started training to get in shape for joining matey, main reasons im doing it are

a) i feel like im wasting away in a factory where i work now, im also living in a box room at my parents

b) redaing some of the stories in the papers/watching documentaries really humbled me, these guys/gals are doing and amazing job that most (if not all enjoy) and fancy some of that, actuallly doing something worthwhile in life

also a few of my mates are in the forces and they places they go are amazing

General Lee
18-02-09, 03:47 PM
You know those are pretty much the same reasons why i'm joining, only i don't know anyone in the armed forces at all. Only one of my mates were going to join.

jimbob-mcgrew
18-02-09, 04:01 PM

if u can jog 4 miles mate, id say you dont have athsma :thumb:

General Lee
18-02-09, 04:32 PM
thanks, i just want to make sure just before i go for a medical by the army.

Jack
18-02-09, 05:54 PM
Really? What instrument were you thinking of learning?

3 of my friends have joined the RAF , 1 has joined the Army , apparently the RAF blokes get it so much better.
RAF is the mugwump service lol

if i were to join up id have to get back into shape lol
and i would want to go into the mechanical engineers
REME, definitely worth doing as you'll be a clever fella when you come out.

And i really think i would make a good soldier.
If you can fit 90% of your head into a condom before suffocating yourself, you're Army material :thumb:

also a few of my mates are in the forces and they places they go are amazing
Timmy Hortons's coffee shop in Kandahar base does the BEST vanilla coffees :D

Rickardo
18-02-09, 06:27 PM
i did my test's yrs ago for the Army.. wait till you are having your medical, some big bloke has your nut sack in his hand's, then he tell's you to cough. that's an interesting day, believe me.. if i was you i would try for a trade, ie. REME. Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineer's. my bro did it. trained mechanic and trained HGV driver. you gotta think you won't be in there forever.. There is no need for a bullet stopper in civvy street.. :thumb::thumb:

wilson_sri
18-02-09, 07:03 PM
I used to be in The Black Watch, a scottish infantry regiment. To be honest most the time it was total gash. When your a private in the infantry you get ****ed about something rotten. Used to have to paint the grass green when someone special was coming to our barracks. Spending weekends standing at the gates on gaurd duty. And the worst part is on exercise in the brecons, sleeping in a muddy hole that has filled up with water after 3 days straight of rain.

But those bad times mean **** all just for the buzz you get off a live battalion attack 600 infantry soldiers, complete with armour using live ammunition with GPMG machine guns firing 10 metres above your head makes it all worth while!

Id go back in a instant if i could.

wilson_sri
18-02-09, 07:06 PM
thanks, i just want to make sure just before i go for a medical by the army.
They will find out anything like that at your medical. Check for asthma, arthiritis, heart murmours, your eyesite and your hearing.

General Lee
18-02-09, 08:39 PM
If you can fit 90% of your head into a condom before suffocating yourself, you're Army material :thumb:

i got 92%

GRUNT 16V
19-02-09, 12:42 PM
The Musical Instrument I Would Be Playing Will Be In The Shape Of A Gpmg (gimpy) Thanks Jack!!

meritlover
19-02-09, 12:45 PM
i think people forget that they are joining the army to point a gun and shoot someone before they shoot you.
the army is not a career break ,an experience or a life ambition to be ticked off.
if you want to join then join. but dont sign up thinking it will be cool, then start moaning because they send you somewhere you dont want to go then end up loosing your leg in a hilarious road block explosion and sueing because you didnt think it would be like that.

General Lee
19-02-09, 01:33 PM
i think people forget that they are joining the army to point a gun and shoot someone before they shoot you.
the army is not a career break ,an experience or a life ambition to be ticked off.
if you want to join then join. but dont sign up thinking it will be cool, then start moaning because they send you somewhere you dont want to go then end up loosing your leg in a hilarious road block explosion and sueing because you didnt think it would be like that.

Are you in or have you been in the army?

meritlover
19-02-09, 01:52 PM
Are you in or have you been in the army?

no

Andy
19-02-09, 01:57 PM
It isnt all about wasting people.There is different careers in the army.Hell you can be a mechanic but still be in the army

meritlover
19-02-09, 01:59 PM
It isnt all about wasting people.There is different careers in the army.Hell you can be a mechanic but still be in the army

yes but surely everyone is trained to use a gun? and when it comes to the crunch you will be expected to use it or ordered to use it. regardless of your 'career'

General Lee
19-02-09, 02:00 PM
I'm just wondering why you have such a dark reality on the subject? Everyone who has been in the army that i have spoken to have really enjoyed it! And i would also not just tick it off, if i were to get in i would try and stay in for a good period of time, the min is 4 years i think but i would want to do more! Im just tired of not being counted i really want to do something with my life, that really makes a difference to others and my country.

draper
19-02-09, 02:01 PM
yes but surely everyone is trained to use a gun? and when it comes to the crunch you will be expected to use it or ordered to use it. regardless of your 'career'

yep,

REME squaddies are soldiers first, engineers second - same as alot of 'trades'

General Lee
19-02-09, 02:01 PM

True, but i haven't heard of a chef for instance running on the front line.

meritlover
19-02-09, 02:13 PM
im not saying that is the case either. what iam saying is that people expect a mechanic (say) is the same job in the army that it is on the high-street. but it isnt. day to day..perhaps, but there is always the possibility that you will be put into or ordered into a situation that you didnt think you were going to be put into. and if you get your face blown off, you'll be like "oh but i was just a mechanic i wasnt supposed to be doing stuff like that"

the army is the army.

meritlover
19-02-09, 02:15 PM
True, but i haven't heard of a chef for instance running on the front line.

BWAHAHAHAH

have you never seen 'Men Of Honour' ?? lol
true story

General Lee
19-02-09, 02:17 PM
No they all know what will be expected to do of before they join. There wont be a situation like that. They would all know that they could be ordered to do what they are trained for.

General Lee
19-02-09, 02:19 PM
BWAHAHAHAH

true story

Nope not a game fan but i have seen funny things on war games

meritlover
19-02-09, 02:26 PM
No they all know what will be expected to do of before they join. There wont be a situation like that. They would all know that they could be ordered to do what they are trained for.

your talking yourself into it. i dont even know what your asking for peoples opinions for.:confused:

General Lee
19-02-09, 02:30 PM
your talking yourself into it. i dont even know what your asking for peoples opinions for.:confused:

Because im not in the army! i am going to try and join no question about that i just want to hear of some peoples experiences in the army, not opinions.

meritlover
19-02-09, 02:30 PM
BWAHAHAHAH

true story

Nope not a game fan but i have seen funny things on war games

its a film ;)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203019/

lol lol

General Lee
19-02-09, 02:33 PM
Sorry thought you said medal of honour. no aint seen that either, what is it about chefs on the front line?

stuartyj21
19-02-09, 02:33 PM
^^^^lol lol lol

meritlover
19-02-09, 02:38 PM
....ye kinda.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAlol:cry:

Christ
19-02-09, 03:07 PM
Well one of my best mates is in the army and hes always bitching and moaning about it. It was his childhood dream, so when he was 16 he joined up and hes 22 now. he has done two tours of iraq and i think two in trash can(afghan). I will try and sum up his drunken ranting as briefly as possible.

Despite what the sun and star says the majority of the british armed forces are fat lazy buggers who couldnt fight for **** and have no general soldiering skills whats so ever.
They get **** equipment.
They get no respect from the public.
The leadership is pretty ****, i think he means officers here.
He never gets the holidays he is entitled to and they are always late with his pay etc etc.
When hes really drunk he starts talking about the mates hes lost through to IEDS and the ones that wont walk again etc

The pay is pretty good although all hes got to spend it on is drink really. because of this he is IMHO fast becoming an alcoholic.

Hes changed alot from the lad I grew up with, He used to always try and sign me up but hes stopped now and I think he regrets not getting a bulding trade behind him.

muzzy
19-02-09, 03:14 PM
I was going to join as a mechanic and did all the tests and spoke to folk who were encouraging me to join. In the end i never did it because i prefer to come home at night, same reason i didnt go offshore. I dont regret it at all, its just not my thing and after seeing my aunty after coming back from Iraq i wouldnt want to have to see what she did.
I know there are obviously plus points to it as well but the cons far outweighted them for me.

General Lee
19-02-09, 03:23 PM
Some good comments balancing up the pros and cons of army life, i never believe the papers anyway. i know they don't get the respect they deserve form anybody. But i do think the army is for some people but some people who think they like it when it comes to the crunch it all hits home and they are not enjoying it as much as they thought they would. That is the whole reason on why i want to hear this feedback on army experiences.

muzzy
19-02-09, 03:26 PM
My main drawback was that its hard to tell how much you will like it before you join and once your in then your in and theres no going back until you have done your 4 years (?), its hard to take other peoples experience of it and think that you will feel the same.

Christ
19-02-09, 03:33 PM
i think you get one 'get out of jail free card' where you can leave but if you join up again your there for a few years before you can leave. and your on the reserves list no matter what.

General Lee
19-02-09, 03:35 PM
I understand, but there aint really much i can do other than have a look into it, join then see what happens really, but i do know if i don't try i will end up kicking myself repeatedly.

muzzy
19-02-09, 03:35 PM
Nobody really explained it to me that well, the guy in the recruitment place obviously couldnt think of anything i would want to do except join the army! lol

General Lee
19-02-09, 04:01 PM
yeah when i went to the army carers place a while back the guy was trying to get me to join the irish gaurds and the houshold cavalry, no thank you.