PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel cylinder

hendrix
16-02-09, 09:02 PM
Best way of getting this off when the ghey 10mm bolt holding the brake line in wont budge and the 10mm spanner is too 'big'.
Answers on a postcard lol
Cheers :thumb:

Benn
16-02-09, 09:04 PM
Mole grips. Or a deep 6sided socket.

hendrix
16-02-09, 09:09 PM
cant get that over the brake pipe though.
Not tried with moleys tho

Asa-James
16-02-09, 09:16 PM
cut the line, smash socket on, remove.

then you have the problem of needing a new brake line...

Rich
16-02-09, 09:18 PM
Rewind time and use a brake pipe spanner lol

Try a 9mm spanner? or mole grips. Shouldnt be a problem cutting the line and using a socket, you will need new pipe and union to refit anyway :(

phazer
16-02-09, 10:29 PM
If its original then you'll need a 9mm brake spanner. As I found when I did mine recently - none of the unions were actually quite the size they should be!! (Imperial sizing?)

You'll need to get some heat on the union and then use molgrips to get it undone (after cutting the line, even if you get it undone it'll probably twist and kill the pipe).

Benn
17-02-09, 08:43 PM
Ah sorry thought you ment the nut that holds it on.
Get a brake pipe spanner, they fit better and if its std its a 9mm.

jimbob-mcgrew
18-02-09, 03:40 PM
someone had a trick for these i read a bit back. get the best fitting brake pipe spanner youve got on it, and get a pair of mole grips round the jaws of the spanner to stop them opening out, does the job.
plenty of wd40 on the threads beforehand too, to help out a bit.

phazer
18-02-09, 08:09 PM
That worked for one side of mine (that had been replaced years ago) but the other side which was factory wouldn't shift until it had some heat on it, then it cracked and undid with fingertips.

Guess it depends on how bad the union is and what condition the brake pipes are. Surprised my rear lines hadn't burst in places when I took them off - properly rusty :eek:

Jay
18-02-09, 08:17 PM
Get a set of stillsons, if that wont budge it then i dont know what will.

John
18-02-09, 08:39 PM
shallow 1/4 drive socket and ratchet works everytime for me!

Nobby
18-02-09, 08:47 PM
the way i did 1 at work the other day was with a hammer n chisel hehe! snap the little 10mm bolt off and crack the brake pipe off with some sharp moles grips but get them as tight as you can and use loads of wd40 let it soak overnight if possible!! also try and use an AF socket it the metric ones wont go on!