PDA

View Full Version : "tradesmen" Cordless powertool advice needed

Stuart
16-02-09, 08:57 PM
I have a cheap ass crappy cordless hammer drill that shakes its batteries off etc.

Want to replace it with a decent cordless drill and possibly a 1/4" drive impact driver for doing the screwing (ohh err lol).

Dont really want to be fisted for more than £200 for the lot (inc batteries and charger etc).

I had spotted a Ryobi drill + impact driver and batteries for £75 but no where has them in stock anymore :( (yes it had got good reviews from trade folks etc)

so advices please

mowgli
16-02-09, 08:59 PM
the makita 18v with the Li On batteries is fantastic.

deWalt is hyped.

Gashgusher
16-02-09, 09:06 PM
the makita 18v with the Li On batteries is fantastic.

deWalt is hyped.

true true true, makita all the way. deWalt is good, but hype makes you pay more than you need to.

smcgsi16v
16-02-09, 09:12 PM
Yep dewalt is over hyped.

Do you want just a cordless screwdriver or a hammer one too.
My prsonal opinion would be to get a hammer one too, you pays little bit more and their a bit more heavier but I wouldn't live without mine; so handy.

I would highly recommend anything 14.4v or above in the Makita range, I have been using Ryobi stuff(not diy sh1t the proper stuff with metal guts) for the last 6 years and think it is good value for money.

Mike
16-02-09, 09:14 PM
As said, Dewalt are well over hyped! Ryobi are bollox!!

The new Makita LiOnel blair are where its at. Failing that, Hilti gear (muchos expensive but will outlive DeWalt ten times over!)

Dont bother with anything less then 14v though, its not worth the money!

Andy
16-02-09, 09:15 PM
I bought an 18v one+ Ryobi cordless hammer drill/driver from b+q for £97 complete with 2 batteries,charger and a cordless jigsaw.You get 3 year warranty with Ryobi aswell.I hammered (lol) mine everyday at work for a year and its still strong as the 1st day i got it.Very good value for money,and their batteries fit a whole range of tools.
Dewalt is over priced,you are paying for the name,Makita are reasonable.Milwaukee are currently the best on the market with Hilti
Milwaukee is a sister company of old Atlas Copco which were good

smcgsi16v
16-02-09, 09:20 PM
Ryobi are bollox!!

I'd disagree.

As said, you get the diy ****e from a&z or the beefed up profesional stuff.
Beefed up suff is very good, i've had the same 18v combi drill for 6 years constantly used and abused, has been servixced every 2 years and I've never had a problem.

Its a bit like bosch, diy ****e is green coloured, pro is blue.
Pro stuff rocks but you pay for it. Grenn stuff is ok.

Mike
16-02-09, 09:24 PM
All the Ryobi ive ever borrowed from the chippys on site has turned out to be pap though TBH :S

Yea, the Blue Bosch gear is top notch, me & my dad have got a lot of it. He had a Hilti drill that was 18 years old, when it finally died he called Hilti UK to find his nearest stockist, they told him to send his funked drill back to them (to put in there museum??) and they sent him an £800 impact/SDS/TV/DVD/Blueray drill back!!

He also won a £500+ Dewalt out of Proffesional Tradesman mag a few month ago, its a load of sh1t lol lol lol

djbrowney
16-02-09, 09:24 PM
go into you local traivs perkins, they have a deal on at the minute

1 x drill drive
1 x hammer drill
1 x impact gun
1 x charger
3 x batteries 14.4
1 x carry case

£199.98

I brought the exaxct same set up about 18 months, i gave the two drills constant abuse for the last 18 months every day of the week (i mean using them as a hammer an such like) the only think that killed mine was drilling out locks, every time i hit a hard plate pin in a lock it jolts the drill an eventually killing it lol

But my dugger dugger is still going strong, use that every day aswell and havin 1/4 1/2 3/8 socket adaptors for it, got enough guts so undo most wheel nuts :cool:

i now have an 18 volt makita an it's class one **** compaired to the 14.4 batterys lasted longer an the drills have more grunt, but they are both the same amp hour, i cant justify spend more on li ion in my job so i will be investing in another 14.4 volt set up like above asap hope this helps mate :thumb:

Mike
16-02-09, 09:26 PM
Fcuk a cordless driver, just get a Plaslode lol lol

djbrowney
16-02-09, 09:30 PM
Fcuk a cordless driver, just get a Plaslode lol lol

its just a drill with out hammer lol, you gota have a pretty good shot to hold a moritce lock in with a passlode lol

Mike
16-02-09, 09:31 PM
its just a drill with out hammer lol, you gota have a pretty good shot to hold a moritce lock in with a passlode lol

Silicone it in first lol

djbrowney
16-02-09, 09:32 PM
same as this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Makita-Cordless-14-4-Drill-set-6280DWPE3-TP_W0QQitemZ380081232304QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home _Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item380081232304&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

djbrowney
16-02-09, 09:33 PM
Silicone it in first lol

gripfill ftw lol

Mike
16-02-09, 09:34 PM
gripfill ftw lol

How fcuking ace is Gripfill though, usefull as funk that stuff!

Mike
16-02-09, 09:35 PM
same as this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Makita-Cordless-14-4-Drill-set-6280DWPE3-TP_W0QQitemZ380081232304QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home _Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item380081232304&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Not a bad price for that lot for DIY use TBH, I did notice, in his other items (Item number: 380044514515) that was what my dad won.

djbrowney
16-02-09, 09:36 PM
fookin awsome mate, they even do white now so you dont have to paint over it fookin legends lol

Mike
16-02-09, 09:37 PM
fookin awsome mate, they even do white now so you dont have to paint over it fookin legends lol

White Gripfill?? Bet it still smells like shizzle though lol

djbrowney
16-02-09, 09:40 PM
White Gripfill?? Bet it still smells like shizzle though lol

of course it always will lol

I gave my drill's constant abuse for 18 months so i would say there more than good enough lol had i not have to drill locks out they would still be going now :mad:

Gashgusher
16-02-09, 10:36 PM
gripfill rules. also used "sticks like s**t" before, equally good but its hard to write it on a customers invoice, you just get daft questions about it

sport
16-02-09, 10:59 PM
Bosch pro you can get a 14v drill with 2 batteries and case for about £85.

burgo
16-02-09, 11:57 PM
makita all the way

16v Nova Kev
17-02-09, 12:03 AM
bnq got a deal on 75 for a makita

burgo
17-02-09, 12:18 AM
screwfix are doing a mekita deal atm

*edit* http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38686/Power-Tools/Kits/Makita-8280DWPE-4-14-4V-Combi-Drill-Driver-Kit?ts=29908

i think it comes with three batterys aswell

brainsnova
17-02-09, 02:34 AM
screw fix had a dewalt deal both electric drill and cordless.

Stuart
17-02-09, 09:23 AM
I've always found (even expensive) cordless hammer drills to be a bit of a waste of time... the sheer infrequency I need a cordless one (as the mains drill I have is fine for that job) outweighs the cost/baf etc.

also WTF is the difference between a drill/driver and a combi drill ? as the drill/drivers can have hammer as can the combis etc... confusedmeerkat.com lol.

I did see a Makita drill/impact deal in screwfix :)

Shaun_O'Donnell
17-02-09, 10:12 AM
Makita seems to be very popular, have a dewalt myself but only because I got a great deal on it (otherwise I deemed them too expensive) and have had no issues at all with it. Had several relatively cheap Black and Decker ones but my dewalt is the best so far.

bmw156
17-02-09, 10:16 AM
my dad has a dewalt i think and he is a self employed chippy/builder. and im sure he have given it constant abuse for years and he has only just brought a replacment. and i think that was because he wanted to buy a new tool lol.
that is his battery drill. he has a range of other drills, i have seen makita boxes. a red box with white writing, might be hilter?

joeSRI
17-02-09, 10:41 AM
I work for HILTI in manchester matey, might be able to get you a good deal on one? PM me?
Cheers

Andy
17-02-09, 10:45 AM
I work for HILTI in manchester matey, might be able to get you a good deal on one? PM me?
Cheers
Can you get anything other than a drill bit in hilti for under £200? lol
Drill driver has more torque than a combi drill which usually has a higher rpm rating

joeSRI
17-02-09, 10:49 AM
Can you get anything other than a drill bit in hilti for under £200? lol
Drill driver has more torque than a combi drill which usually has a higher rpm rating

Not far off there mate. They are expensive but are good tools and last a long time. (i am not a salesman btw lol )

Staff prices! :thumb:

Andy
17-02-09, 10:51 AM
Oh i know they are the best,Ive had their gear on hire before its very good

Stuart
17-02-09, 11:32 AM
hmmm do I "really" need a 1/4" impact driver..... its more of a toy than a purposeful purchase lol.

I guess a drill/driver would be a better option, and for 2ton I could bag a rather tasty one for the mereness of DIY (mostly screwing a workbench and trainset base together to begin with)

hmm

Andy
17-02-09, 12:00 PM
hmmm do I "really" need a 1/4" impact driver..... its more of a toy than a purposeful purchase lol.

I guess a drill/driver would be a better option, and for 2ton I could bag a rather tasty one for the mereness of DIY (mostly screwing a workbench and trainset base together to begin with)

hmm Stuart,if its only being used for diy mate i wouldnt even bother spending that much.£100 scored mine with 3 years warranty,and i used it all day everyday at work for a year til i lost my job
Try these- http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/cat_21/cordless-power-tools.html
This is an ebay shop aswell,they are local to me ive bought all sorts from there,they helpful and good deals.

robertdevlin69
17-02-09, 04:08 PM
hitachi,or bosch,stay away from skill ive had two diff model drils and the gears have packed up in both of them,if you want durability i have heeps of wolf power tools from the late 70's early 80's fair enough i dont think you can actually buy them now but there seriously well made

dave.gsi
17-02-09, 06:59 PM
well i can only speak from personal experience but in my job we go through power tools like there's no tommorow......

we've killed bosch, ryobi, erbuaur (sp?), and titan recip saws (all in under 6 months each)

we've got 3 makita 18V cordless drill drivers, one of them is four years old (the other 2 less than a year) but they all have the same problem, they can't change gear (so 2 of them are stuck in 2nd speed, the other in 1st?) they spit their dummy out if you try and change speeds

and our Dewalt chopsaw is getting on to be 5 years old now, the only thing thats gone wrong was the switch about 6 months ago, it actually caught fire but after putting it out and changing the switch its as good as new :D

i'd go Dewalt everytime, as they say, you get what you pay for:thumb:

Stuart
17-02-09, 07:01 PM
erbauer didnt last one small job for me lol... then again it wasnt a surprise.

I'm a bit wary of DeWalt tbh as there is the "cheap" market for them and it looks tricky to work out where they are at the quality sector of the market that they are famous for

dave.gsi
17-02-09, 07:07 PM
my dad always says that ...'yeah theres good Dewalt and cheap Dewalt'.........

ive never seen cheap dewalt :tard: everytime i look its pull your pants down time if you want to order anything from them! quality stuff though from my experience

Stuart
17-02-09, 07:08 PM
got a mains dewalt drill for like £45 new.... If you look in screwfix there is a lot of cheap dewalt (and some expensive)

muzzy
17-02-09, 07:08 PM
Makita & Ryobi were favorites with my old work for all their hire power tools, they stood up well in a harsh environment (North Sea!)

Dod
17-02-09, 07:54 PM
hitachi,or bosch,stay away from skill

:thumb:

I worked in a Hardware store for 8 years and Hitachi are indistructable. I had a 18v Cordless that I used to remove Wheel nuts and was frequently used to aid stripping of cars and was a handy make shift hammer when none were available. They have a decent range and they're cheap. They do a basis DIY model right up to the Mega Impact 3/4 driver as used by most Rally Crews for changing wheels and the like. My mechanic uses them instead of his air tools, and the best bit is that they come with 3 Battreys per set and their own Impact sockets, 10-19mm.

CP
18-02-09, 01:33 PM
Time was you could stump extra squids and go for the likes of bosch, makita, hitachi etc etc and it was worth it and you got what you paid for. Now its a real lottery - you'll find that some of the budget stuff is suprisingly good. I,ve got an SDS plus heavy duty drill/breaker that i bought for £29.99 and it'll drive 30mm SDS bits into reinforced concrete all day long! The flood of cheap chinese made stuff has really confused the market.

Unless you really need it avoid cordless - the battery situation tho handy greatly increases costs and unreliability issues. Our cordless bosch SDS's run out of batteries before the drills do and replacement batteries are stupidly expesnive plus they can be heavy and tiring to use. If you do any amount of work in 1 go you need a backup battery and if you dont get ones with high enough capacity they run out quicker than you can re-charge them etc etc.

My bro has used alsorts and now just buys the cheap stuff from promo deals with the view that if they go crook he can afford to bin them. Mostly they are fine - he swears by ryobi atm
My advice for home use is to decide cordless or normal and then go somewhere and have a play with some representative stuff. Check chucks etc etc which make a lot of difference to how practical they'll be. You will probably get away without having to spend too much and get on fine.

Dont buy "kits" full of alsorts of drivers - the quality is usually cack. Good quality drivers and drills are a must

Ben
18-02-09, 10:11 PM
www.toolstation.com ftw