PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Spark (Xr2)

Nick
16-02-09, 03:37 PM
Not a nova, but my XR2 !

Can't get onto the XROC so thought i'l have a shot on here.

Basically, The car was randomly loosing spark from the king lead... then it'd regain spark, then loose it. Sometimes it'd run fine; but then it'd start getting this intermitent problem.

I've recently replaced the Ignition module/Amp which sits on the distributor as i thought this might be the likely cause for the intermitant problem, along with replacing the Dizzy cap and Rotor Arm as they were also fubar'd .

Now it's started doing it again, i've managed to get it going again and it ran home ok, and seems to run fine at the minute.

I could set about replacing the coil, but i don't really have the cash to be wasting if i'm not sure what the problem is. I was also advised that the coil would tend to go completely, not have an intermitent fault !

Any ideas ?

burgo
16-02-09, 03:39 PM
i assume youve checked all the earths

Sloth
16-02-09, 03:48 PM
edis module?

Nick
16-02-09, 03:49 PM
Nope not yet... It's had a Clifford Cat 1 Alarm and immobiliser fitted in the last 2 years. One of the immobilisers is on the coil, so i'm going to look at the wiring for that.

Nick
16-02-09, 03:50 PM
edis module?

It's a Mk2 XR2 so it's a 1989 CVH.

Andy
16-02-09, 03:52 PM
Sounds irrelevant but have you burst any coolant pipes recently?

Nick
16-02-09, 03:54 PM
nope. Everything is as it should be; which is frustrating.

Nobby
16-02-09, 05:18 PM
have you replaced the main lead from the coil? (unsure if thats the king lead your on about?) as it could be brake in the lead?

Nick
16-02-09, 07:45 PM
Lead is fine, i've allready tested that.

There is a nasty rattle from inside the distributor. So i think the Distributor is having trouble pulsing the coil...

Going to have to buy and hope :)

Thanks for the replies

Saloony
16-02-09, 09:10 PM
Sounds like the kicker in the dizzy my old fruit.