PDA

View Full Version : puffing blue

carltoncrazy
27-12-02, 01:10 AM
right the carlotn aint been driven 4 a couple of weeks,coz ive been abusing an audi 80 :twisted:
started it,and it was running fine,no lost in preforamnce,but every so often it coughs blue smoke its not really really blue,only noticable when theres a white paper beind it.
every so often from the zorst il get this puff of smoke,not think,bout every 10 secs,being rev or not,it doesnt matter.
so wots up,coz last time i ruin an engine,it was always blowing blow,
bit worring coz i got a mot book on the 20th of jan
so any ideas,it hasnt been servied for about 20k miles(bad i know)

ollster
27-12-02, 01:17 AM
well the basic rule is if it blows blue smoke first thing in a morning then your valve stem seals have gone. If its smoking all the time under heavy acceleration the you oil controll ring has most lightly gone. Could be a combination of both doh. All depends how many miles its done

Manta Mad
27-12-02, 11:44 AM
Try a compression test, that should give you a good idea where the problem is.

carltoncrazy
27-12-02, 01:31 PM
215,997 miles

carltoncrazy
27-12-02, 01:53 PM
the oil ring things,is that expensive,
or could i get away with getting it to the MOT station bang on time,so they test is when its warm,so it doesnt blow blue,
when i say blue,i mean its not like rly rly blue,jus slightly tinted blue
im gonna go blast it down the a5 in a sec see if its jus a blocked something

ollster
27-12-02, 04:35 PM
The oil control rings would be expensive because it would mean that the piston's would have to come out (it sits beneath the two compression rings). Considering the engine has been to mars and back etc i would say that it is a possible cause.

carltoncrazy
27-12-02, 11:11 PM
got a gezzer out and he said that,both problems u said,aint the corz,the piston main bearing etc r fine,as it dont rattle,he said it could be some vavle seal or something,
but he said stick redex in it forst see if it sorts the problems

ollster
27-12-02, 11:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :!: whatever you do dont stick redex in. An engine on that kind of milage will not last long after redex blows all the carbon deposits and build ups out (they act as seals when gaskets break down). Trust me engine's with interstellar milage do not respond well to redex treatment. Sorry to sound dramatic but i reckon it will do more harm than good.

Also if the oil control ring would have gone then it would not cause the big ends to rattle it would smply let oil form the sump enter the combustion chamber hence the blue smoke. Valve Stem seals are more lightly the problem though as they are not made to last much more than about 200000+ miles.

Dicko
28-12-02, 01:36 PM
it might be valve stick due to carbon build up so redex ight help, bit of a gamble really, i doubt its valve stem seals you can tell if its them easy.

let it tickover for 5 mins when warm then put your foot down, you will get a big puff of smoke and choke everybody :)

also it will probly puff a load out just after startup, and a bit on high revs when driving

ollster
28-12-02, 02:04 PM
surely if it was vavle stick then the engine would drop in performance and would sound like its running on three cylinders. I understand what your saying though there could be many things that would cause this problem