PDA

View Full Version : Nova 5 stud disc conversion (for LET)

mintnovajim
15-02-09, 10:45 PM
Can anyone out there point me in the right direction on how to get a full 5 stud disc conversion on my nova? I'm gonna be running an LET with minor mods (220bhp-ish) and have made the brave (and possibly difficult) decision to fit discs all round.

Looking at v6 discs up front and astra mk 4/5 on rear!!!! The base car is a 1.2 so am expecting to change everything!

Anybody already done this??? any advice on bits needed and how much appreciated.

Asa-James
15-02-09, 10:46 PM
would it not just be easier to get a four stud disc conversion for the rear, and some decent discs up front?

The Simps
15-02-09, 11:16 PM
I've done it on mine so check out my Project thread.

Fronts is very easy. You can buy brand new 5 stud machined hubs from Chris Astley Motorsport to fit your nova carrier, he supplies bearings too. Front brake wise you can run anything from turbo, V6, 4 pots. Just need to match the discs.

Rears is a bit trickier. Cav v6 stuff is good because its not too big. I've fitted vectra stuff which is a little bigger but easier to come by. You will need to mod the way the cable runs tho with the vectra hubs. Not sure on mk4 astra stuff tbh. You use the standard conversion plates either way.

Is there any reason you want to go 5 stud? 4 stud would be sooo much easier. I've even got an already converted 4stud disc'd axle for sale. Would need collecting from norwich.

mintnovajim
15-02-09, 11:23 PM
lol Probably. Going for 5 stud as i want to fit the newer range of vxr wheels. A bit of reverse engineering i know. Surely with some grinding, welding and sticky-back plastic it can't be that hard????

The Simps
15-02-09, 11:29 PM
What are the offset of the newer vxr wheels? I think they're quite a bit lower than the normal nova et49.

Plug
15-02-09, 11:36 PM
the corsa VXR wheels are

7.5jx18 et47

Good luck fitting 18's without wide arches

The Simps
15-02-09, 11:41 PM
the corsa VXR wheels are

7.5jx18 et47

Good luck fitting 18's without wide arches

At that low offset & width you'll also have problems with inner arch & front strut clearance. You'll need to run spacers and either saloon round arches or flared/wide hatch arches.

mintnovajim
15-02-09, 11:49 PM
i'm getting the feeling that 4 studs are gonna cause less headaches on this one.

vx kev
16-02-09, 08:37 PM
I just done mines with cavy v6 stuff as i broke the car so had all parts needed, i found the rear is just the same as doing 4 stud discs. Cutting and welding is required to fit the backing plates for the rear hubs to the nova beam unless you want to try drilling the holes required but i wouldnt recommend this.
I cut the backing plates from the cavy beam and the removed the original nova ones, i then welded the cavy plates to the nova beam and drilled the new holes. The hubs then just bolt into place and use the long nova handrake cable with a mk2 cavy estate short cable. :thumb:
Am pretty sure this is what you have to do anyway when you buy a kit :confused:

I got a local machine shop to machine the cavy front hubs to fit into the nova bearings, job done :D

Everyone has different ways but it is very do-able :cool:

Benn
16-02-09, 09:00 PM
Mines done mostly the same as simps said, but with machined down hubs on the front, and running cav v6 rears.

vxr_racing_2008
16-02-09, 09:13 PM
Ul Have Fun Trying to fit the wheels anyway:thumb: :D

mintnovajim
18-02-09, 04:59 PM
Cheers for the info guys. Might go back to the drawing board on this one!!!

draper
18-02-09, 05:12 PM
theres loads of other 5stud wheels out there tho not just VXR ones