PDA

View Full Version : equal lenth shafts on nova

slowsport
15-02-09, 08:11 PM
hi all, i have an xe nova and i'm interested in installing some equal length driveshafts but i hear i either need to get some modified hubs or cut n weld the shafts. so i dont really want to cut the shafts so if i got some chris astley hubs can i install them into gsi or corsa hubs. if i done that will it install perfectly or would there be more modification i need to do? thanks ed

GRUNT 16V
15-02-09, 08:18 PM
http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.co.uk/
RING HIM UP IM PRETTY SURE HE DOES THE EQUAL LENGTH SHAFT OFF THE SHELF

valvercorsa
15-02-09, 08:39 PM
hi all, i have an xe nova and i'm interested in installing some equal length driveshafts but i hear i either need to get some modified hubs or cut n weld the shafts. so i dont really want to cut the shafts so if i got some chris astley hubs can i install them into gsi or corsa hubs. if i done that will it install perfectly or would there be more modification i need to do? thanks ed

i am having this trouble mate, i took the full front end (lower arms, hubs with big hub conversion, track rod ends, tie bars) from a corsa thinking the lower arms where longer so i could fit the equal lenghts in, but its the chassis that is wider thats why equal length shafts fit straight into a corsa :cry:

i have heard that http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.co.uk does the equal length shafts that are shorter so they can still be used in a nova but think they are £60 each will let you no more tomorrow once i have called him :)

slowsport
15-02-09, 08:48 PM
will let you no more tomorrow once i have called him :)

nice one mate that will be very useful!!!

Lee H
15-02-09, 08:51 PM
I have used the big block hubs and the shorter equal length shaft that Chris does for the Nova and all bolts together spot on. The drvers side shaft is a different length to the passenger side one by the way.

valvercorsa
15-02-09, 09:19 PM
I have used the big block hubs and the shorter equal length shaft that Chris does for the Nova and all bolts together spot on. The drvers side shaft is a different length to the passenger side one by the way.

so can you use another shorter shaft? from another set of shafts?????? got a set out of a 4*4 cav up yard :D

The Simps
15-02-09, 09:26 PM
No, you will need to buy one of Chris'.

If you're already running big shafts and hubs all you need is the single replacement shaft for the drivers side (and obvioulsy the equal shaft bracket.).

If you aren't running big hubs you will need 2 large hubs, 2 bearings and 2 shafts. Give Chris a ring.

valvercorsa
16-02-09, 07:23 PM
so the passenger side stays same????
that will mean the inner cv of the equal length will be pushed right up tight.

Lee H
16-02-09, 08:20 PM
Passenger side stays same as any other coversion. Don't understand what u mean about the equal length side at all. Nothing is crushed up! You fit the equal length bit into the box and the support for it bolts to the back of the block, you then fit the shaft you get off chris between this and the hub!

Dar
16-02-09, 08:25 PM
I've tried getting these of off Chris Astley. If he has them in stock now could you let us know :D

Rich
16-02-09, 09:21 PM
He had them in stock when i ordered, best off ringing and getting in there first lol

Dar
17-02-09, 08:50 AM
He had them in stock when i ordered, best off ringing and getting in there first lol
When did you order them? I went through a month period ringing him only to get told to ring back in a week. So got pissed off and thought feck it, it can wait.

slowsport
17-02-09, 12:38 PM
thanks for all your comments guys this all had been useful info!! just one more quick question... as it seems the chris astley shafts are very sought after if i did decide to cut and weld will i need to sleave the driveshafts after for strength? if so will that be alot of added weight to the mechanics as such, what i mean by this is it like having a heavy flywheel in comparison to having a lightweight flywheel? thanks again, ed

The Simps
17-02-09, 01:31 PM
I used to run cut n sleeved shafts and certainly wouldn't again - no point!

Chris' shafts aren't sort after, just every now and then he sells out and has to wait for the next batch to come him.

Pistol Pete
17-02-09, 01:47 PM
Cutting and welding driveshafts, IMO, sounds like a major bodge and will not last surely??!!

mayhem
17-02-09, 04:57 PM
mtech shafts are welded to, you cant buy 1piece shafts here in the netherlands, we all are running 22 splines or welded mtech shafts.

valvercorsa
17-02-09, 04:57 PM
Cutting and welding driveshafts, IMO, sounds like a major bodge and will not last surely??!!

they do last but getting them straight is a pain lol

slowsport
17-02-09, 08:26 PM
lol thats what i thought! i guess theres only one option and try my luck with the proper set and if i get them o it right 1st time! thanks for the help, cleared alot of questions i had!

Benn
17-02-09, 08:48 PM

Not really, i havent heard of one snap at the welding points.
I ran mine for about 2/3 years and they where fine(still are but i dont use them now)

The Simps
17-02-09, 10:39 PM
Not really, i havent heard of one snap at the welding points.
I ran mine for about 2/3 years and they where fine(still are but i dont use them now)

I bought my nova with welded shafts as a 2ltr 8v. Ran it with them on the XE then a year or so on a P2 LET before it let go. The weld on the joint cracked and the shaft was just spinning inside the sleeve.

Benn
17-02-09, 10:40 PM
Oh right, not heard of them going before, but then lets have lots of power and you gave it abuse so. Still lasted a while tho.

R1CH
17-02-09, 11:38 PM
If there done right they'll last fine, especially on an XE.
I ran a cut and welded shaft on my LET (the equal length shaft) for about 8 month, must've done a good 45+ 1/4 mile runs, it ended up with a small crack on the sleeve ... i ended up changing it for a Chris Astley shaft.
I've ended up removing the sleeve on the welded shaft and found that its still fine underneath, gonna fit a new sleeve on it and run it on my Autogras car.
These guys done it for me ... http://driveline-hydraulic.co.uk/?Propshafts

valvercorsa
18-02-09, 07:17 PM
do the shafts chrisashley does cum as a pair then?

Dar
18-02-09, 07:22 PM
do the shafts chrisashley does cum as a pair then?
No. You buy them separately.

valvercorsa
18-02-09, 07:55 PM
ok cheers :)