PDA

View Full Version : 16v head

Rane
26-12-02, 08:05 PM
what dos it take to put a 1,6 16v head on to a 1,6 8v block??
Sorry my englis is NOT good
Rane from Denmark :(

Aragorn
27-12-02, 12:04 AM
not 100% on this BUT im sure both engines use the same bottom end so it should physically bolt streight on

the F15 from the 1.6 16v from the Cosra GSi fits the nova range (well the F13's anyway) so it will prolly be the same casting

u might however have problems with pistons and valve clearance however and im not too sure about that side of it

Rane
27-12-02, 06:32 PM
outhers who can help???
Rane from Denmark

Dicko
28-12-02, 03:14 PM
what exactly are you intending to do?
the head will fit yes, the compression will be a little low, and you would need to run the injection system off the 16v so you would need some parts for the bottom end aswell, such as the crank position sensor and knock sensor, not really worth doing unless your swoping the whole engine over rather than just the top end.

another option would be to fit the 16v head then run twin 40s, but this is also expensive as you need an ignition kit such as alpha weber becuz the 16v head runs a coil pack rather than a distributor

Rane
28-12-02, 05:02 PM
Att. Dicko
it is for a turbo projekt
jaa maby I shoud take the hole 16v motor and put in insted I have the Turbo and outher things
Rane from Denmark

CP
28-12-02, 09:14 PM
Unless you have a cheap supply of spare engine parts lying about I wouldn't bother trying to put a 16v head on an 8v block - get a 1.6 16v complete engine and use that - it 'll be cheaper and easier.
Although it will fit OK to an 8v block you will have to buy a lot of other bits to make it work. You'll need to change the crank pulley, the alternator pulley arrangement, the water pump, the idler pulleys etc to accept the 16v cam belt as well as what Dicko said. You'll have to get the 16v water thermostat housing and a Corsa top hose. You'll need to fix up a crank sensor arrangement by utilising something like an SRi one which means the oil pump will need changing as well. The list just goes on. By the way if you are going to make an engine with a lot more power and much higher revs than std you'll need to get different cam belt idler pulleys - the standard nylon ones are likely to fall apart.