PDA

View Full Version : 1600 won't tick over but revs mint!!

Peanut_119
14-02-09, 07:28 PM
i seized my cam the ova week, and after stripping the engine and rebuilding it, i started it and if its above 2000rpm, then it runs fine and revs really well and high, but as soon as it goes back down to tick over (just above 1000rpm) it pops and bangs then cuts out :tard:

any idea's anyone???

Peanut_119
14-02-09, 07:49 PM
bump

bsa_man
14-02-09, 07:50 PM
That's just the exact same problem that I was going to post just now. I have a GTE 1600 that's started doing the exact same thing today. I changed the radiator earlier today, splashed a little coolant around but nothing much, then when I went to start it again it wouldn't tick over, but is running real sweet at about 1500 rpm up. It was working fine before this so was wondering if I had splashed water round an engine management sensor or something. Hopefully someone will have encountered and solved this problem before.

Peanut_119
14-02-09, 07:53 PM
i aint got any water or nefin anywere, but i changed the the plug leads but still no joy, afta 1500rpm its mint but i have to put alot of throttle on to get it to 1500rpm, my mates dad raced nova's for year and even he is stumpt about what it could be

bsa_man
14-02-09, 07:57 PM
Same here, I just can't work it out at all, I'm going to have a better look at it in the dayligt tomorrow.

Peanut_119
14-02-09, 08:00 PM
well i changed the plug leads and no joy, i checked all leads/wires/clips/pipes etc, no joy, the only thing i can think of is the air flow, i maybe rong but thats the only thing left

Peanut_119
14-02-09, 08:26 PM
anybody any idea's on what it might be?

Peanut_119
14-02-09, 09:04 PM
bump

staggy_gsi
14-02-09, 09:38 PM
could well be an air-flow problem mate. but it could possibly be more serious too. you say you seized the cam, how did that happen, overheated?? i have a rover vitesse and the head gasket blew, but i kept driving it for about half a mile as there was nowhere to stop. because i kept driving it while it was overheating i have fooked the piston rings! i would advise you do a compression test on all the cylinders mate.
also check the timing again just to be sure....

staggy_gsi
14-02-09, 09:38 PM
could well be an air-flow problem mate. but it could possibly be more serious too. you say you seized the cam, how did that happen, overheated?? i have a rover vitesse and the head gasket blew, but i kept driving it for about half a mile as there was nowhere to stop. because i kept driving it while it was overheating i have fooked the piston rings! i would advise you do a compression test on all the cylinders mate.
also check the timing again just to be sure....

Peanut_119
14-02-09, 09:44 PM
i didnt want to admitt this, and let me point this out before i carry on. I DIDNOT PUT THE SILICONE ON THE HEAD IT WAS ALREADY THERE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT

there was a head gasket on but silicone on the head gasket aswel, and sum silicone had block the oil feed through the head, i have cleared this out, and removed everybit of silicone,

got a new head gasket set and cleaned up everything.

capey24
15-02-09, 09:52 AM
like staggy gsi sed have a look at the timeing if it's all in line try the idel valve sensor mate see if that is workin ok.

bsa_man
15-02-09, 12:08 PM
I changed the airflow sensor unit in my GTE this morning. That sorted the problem out, its ticking over at low revs fine at the min. tried just about everything else before that.

Peanut_119
15-02-09, 02:02 PM
how much is the air flow units pal, and where can i get ne from?

bsa_man
15-02-09, 04:07 PM
no idea at the min. I had one on another nova, so tried that to see if it cured the problem. I'll be looking tomorrow to see if I can get hold of a new one.

John
15-02-09, 04:37 PM
i didnt want to admitt this, and let me point this out before i carry on. I DIDNOT PUT THE SILICONE ON THE HEAD IT WAS ALREADY THERE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT

there was a head gasket on but silicone on the head gasket aswel, and sum silicone had block the oil feed through the head, i have cleared this out, and removed everybit of silicone,

got a new head gasket set and cleaned up everything.

I take it if the cam seized, you've replaced the cam and carrier, and pulled all the bits if silcone out of the oil pump pick up pipe? Does the oil pressue light go out?
As for the revs, have you checked for air leaks?

Peanut_119
15-02-09, 06:41 PM
yea cleaned it all off, changed the cam and the cam carrier and yea the oil presure light goes out,

i will check for air leaks tomorrow

Johnnybreaking
16-02-09, 02:48 AM
Inlet manifold Gasket eg air leak maybe?

Peanut_119
16-02-09, 06:30 AM
i think the pipe from the air flow box (the one that your air filter fit onto) to the inlet, is'nt to clever so i am going to change that and see if thats the problem