PDA

View Full Version : Quick Shift Kit!

tomasti
23-12-02, 10:02 PM
Do or do not Regal Autosport make quick-shift or short shift gear linkage kit? I've been looking all over they're site and I can't find one. If anyone does do one it'll have to fit my 4-speed box. Bloody 4-speed, but she pulls well on a slope! Any ideas?

carltoncrazy
23-12-02, 10:55 PM
right i have to be a bit blunt here,
your driving a 4 speed car,so i dought ya doing quarter miles or racing etc,
where quick shift is an advantage.
so your diveing a 1.0,1.2? right how about looking at a 5 speed box?its a cheap mod,and will lower ya feul bill(lower rpm@cruise).
i cant rly see any company doing one for a 4speed.
i would have alook at doing a 5 speed,

rgv_stu
24-12-02, 10:20 AM
the 4 and 5 speed boxes use the same gear selector on the box so a quickshift should be the same.

i put a 5 speeder in my car and my fuel bills have gone up :lol: as 5th gear on mine is lower than 4th on the old 4 speed hehe

Nova-Flair
24-12-02, 11:07 AM
i agree with ian. u might as well invest in a 5-speed 'box much better than the 4-speed ones.

i dunno if regal do a kit but i know that griffiths engineering do one. think the site is www.griff-eng.co.uk

brian
24-12-02, 03:12 PM
demon tweeks do one. www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

mikeoxford
25-12-02, 12:06 AM
has anyone on here actually got one?

would they recoomend them?

im thinking about it - dont know if it would make a big difference or a big "positive" difference shall i say? is it comon to miss gears and things as they become so close?

carltoncrazy
25-12-02, 12:14 AM
is it comon to miss gears
no thats just ya driving mike

mikeoxford
25-12-02, 12:20 AM
:evil: now whos the cheeky cnut!

hehehe

ill have you know i dont miss a gear - and my dirinvg examiner - and also my later examiner for advanced driving praised me on my gear changes, as you dont even feel them happen in the car :twisted:

i was just asking ian mate :twisted: if WHEN you have a quickshift - it is THEN! hard top find gears or not!?

so has anyone got one then?

carltoncrazy
25-12-02, 06:52 PM
[quote="mikeoxfordas you dont even feel them happen in the car :twisted: [/quote]
thats because of two of the following reasons,
A) u neva got out of first gear
B) it was an auto.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i`ve driven a rs turbo with one,
and the only fault i could find,was its was a ford.
gears was easy

brian
25-12-02, 10:47 PM
i fitted on in my last Nova. was a bitch to setup and didn't make a massive difference. in the end i took it out and sold it!! that was the Demon Tweeks one by the way :wink:

mikeoxford
26-12-02, 01:30 AM
dosent sound too hot a product then...............

brian
26-12-02, 06:32 PM
not great alright!! that's the only one i can anything about though.
i have seen pic's of another companies q'shift which had a bit of rose-jointing involved in it. looked impressive but i cannot remember who does it. someone might know the one im on about??

mikeoxford
27-12-02, 12:34 AM
hhhmmm

is the principle of having VERY close gears a good idea?

maybe the demon tweeks one wasnt a gudden - who knows :S

jon_boy
27-12-02, 10:53 AM
www.raldes.co.uk do one. looks like a laugh.

cornish
27-12-02, 04:59 PM
Quaife do one two, quick rack and pinion kit for a Nova, 2.5 turns lock to lock, ?64.00.

It's in the Quaife catalogue free with the Jan '03 CCC magazine, page 30 :)

tomasti
27-12-02, 08:18 PM
Cheers boys. Thing is you know what the 4-speeders are like! Its like your stirring cake mix in a bowl between changes! Ah well, mustnt grumble... could be a Carlton. he he he

mikeoxford
27-12-02, 10:32 PM
putting your head out on a chopping block a bit there aint ya in front of ian!!!!!! :lol:

CP
28-12-02, 09:35 PM
I got a Griffith Engineering one in and its great - very well made. 30% less gear lever travel and much more positive action. Its the second one i've fitted and it greatly improves the feel and speed of changes. On track its just brilliant - virtually never miss gears. Its identical to set up as a std one but i did find that I needed to remove the rear engine mount to get access to one of the locating pins.
If you do go for a GE one make sure you ask for their installation guide which is spot on if it needs to be adjusted a little.

carltoncrazy
29-12-02, 03:31 PM
mustnt grumble... could be a Carlton. he he he
mike is aloud to take the piss,
reason why i h8 this statement,
1)the carlton has a very short gear shift
2)is got lether
3)its got air con
4)its got heated seats
5)its got eletric seats
6)its got a big back seat(tho i dought ya ever use ya back seat)
7)massive boot
8)rear wheel drive
9)is dam site faster that ya 1.0-1.2
10)its got traction control
11)ABS
12)it has a gb sticker :lol:
13)it has a tow bar so if Cp ever needs it to tow his caravan he can :lol:
14)front headlamp washer wiper
15)autochoke(even tho sr and gte/gsi and sri have this)
16)do i rly need to carry on?
DONT DISS THAT CARLTON,mike can but ya cant
p.s mike il sorta out ya pixs of my car when i find my shoes
but my opion is dont do a short shift until ya have a decnt box in there

mikeoxford
29-12-02, 11:16 PM
pm sent CP :wink:

Jim
30-12-02, 02:41 PM
I've also got one. I'm thinking it's the same as what CP has (as it was from his old engine :D ) It's really weird at first, but once you get use to it, it's so much better. You can change gears so much quicker and very rarely miss a gear. If you can afford one, get one, they are really good.

Jim

mikeoxford
30-12-02, 07:19 PM
so if i get one make sure its a GEngineering one........? and make sure it is setup etc coprrectly.

and you definitely rate getting one for a road going car? this isnt a hard core rally mod or anything!?

tomasti
30-12-02, 07:41 PM
he he, yeah Carltons do have big back seats actually. First car I messed about in was a metalic blue CDX!

carltoncrazy
30-12-02, 10:53 PM
he he, yeah Carltons do have big back seats actually. First car I messed about in was a metalic blue CDX!
tomasti has just become a friend,any one who who has/had a carlton is kl,
if its a met blue then well ay cant go wrong

mikeoxford
30-12-02, 11:19 PM
just looked at the griffiths engineering one - its all rose jointed and stuff and retails at ?125 on their website!!!!!!!!!

im sure i have seen one that looks imilar to a standard linkage and retails at around ?40 - ?50!!!!!!!

lol

any one know what im on about?

carltoncrazy
31-12-02, 09:43 PM
any one know what im on about?

rare any one does mike

to be honest ya get what ya pay for

brian
01-01-03, 08:45 PM
the one that looks like a standard one is the one demon tweeks do. the rally design one is similar also.
the GE one is the one i was asking about with the rose-jointing. and after reading what cp and slimjim said me thinks me gets one!!! 8)