PDA

View Full Version : U can help Sheep Dip by fixing his car..

Nova1.6
23-12-02, 12:53 PM
Ive been getting quotes for ?250 - ?300 for a new head gasket and skimming and stuff,Earliest it could be done is Januray.
Ive been told i could do the gasket myself, the only prob i might have is the skimming. Now id love to learn more about the mechanics but i'd like to learn it by someone helping me to do stuff, i have texted olly(ollster) to see if he can help me, he said he's not got any room at his place, i begged again but havent got a reply yet so i dont if he would.

Anyone else fancy earning a bit of dosh and helping me, i know everyone on here seems to live in MK or down south, but anyone else in midlands that could help me?

I'm desperate!

Neil

carltoncrazy
23-12-02, 03:40 PM
maybe sheep,just maybe,depends on,
how much u gonna pay,
and will u do it on wednesday

Nova1.6
23-12-02, 07:36 PM
wednesday? y u ask that?

carltoncrazy
23-12-02, 08:58 PM
well sheep,faye wants me to go spend xmas day with there family,
im not a relgious person and they are.and i dont wana have to spend money on buying em stuff,
so if i say u need more or ya lass with dumb u(u no the shit,which makes girls go all touchy and senstive((not like that micky)).
so ya probley be doing me a favour.
i cant really be fucked to skim a head,but ive got a old 1.3 sr head floating around(if u`ve seen my gagrage ud understand).
so il just stick that on instead.
do u want me tow ya down m8?or is ya car drivable

Nova1.6
23-12-02, 10:17 PM
ummmm well mk maybe bit far, if i got a 1.3 head would that be ok on a 1.2i???

i take it u mean a wed coming soon?

carltoncrazy
23-12-02, 10:24 PM
i think so,all il do is swap ur inlet onit,
if its 2 far not 2 worry,

Cheese
23-12-02, 11:47 PM
Sheep,
Do it yourself mate, its really not that hard, just follow the Haynes and you cant really go wrong.. Post up here if you have problems..
I could pop over to Sheffield after the new year, when i get back to Derby, but that probably wont be before the 6th Jan.
If you decide you want to keep the standard head, then find an engineering place, and find out when they could skim the head for you..

Its just bad timing that its this close to Christmas and New Year :?
PM me here, or e.mail if you want anymore help mate.. :D

Good Luck! :D

Ben :)

ollster
24-12-02, 01:10 AM
Beckets and Gardners in sheffield would skim the head for about ?20, but i still reckon it would be easier to put a new engine out of a scrappy in. The hassle of stripping the valve train down would be too much for a 1.2 IMO. Either get an sri engine or an sr engine for about ?150, i know you have been on about swapping for a while anyway so why not do it now!

Nova-Flair
24-12-02, 01:41 PM
not worth the bother go for an engine conversion. :D

Stuart
24-12-02, 03:06 PM
"stipping the valve train is hassle" ?? wtf all you need is a valve spring compressor and it takes seconds (prehaps minutes) to do.

its not like a 16V head where its fiddly to get at the collettes.

Nova1.6
25-12-02, 04:34 AM
cheers for all your help guys, all i want is for my engine to be working and then when i get my 1 yrs NCB in 4 months and then do a nice engine swap.
I just want it working!
ARGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

ollster
25-12-02, 08:23 PM
"stipping the valve train is hassle" ?? wtf all you need is a valve spring compressor and it takes seconds (prehaps minutes) to do.

Fair point but if your goin to the trouble of stripping the head and having it skimmed then really the valves should be re-ground (and possibly replaced if any have burnt out). Also to be safe the head should really be compression tested to test for cracks, the valve guides may need replacing etc etc etc. Which all adds up to lots of time and money that could be spent on a conversion.

mikeoxford
26-12-02, 01:55 AM
i no ive been txtin u neil to say get it done yourself it ent that hard

but thinking about it, do the engine

either dont tell insurance for 3 months - your risk though :? however 1.2 upto 1.4 look the same ;) even some 2ltr small blocks!

or just dont drive for a bit! use them legs - remember you used to use them BEFORE the nova.............................?

Nova1.6
27-12-02, 05:04 AM
my what, legs, what are they? Well there is a point ive ben thinking about and that is....ill text u mike, ppl on here might not like it, ie Ian.