PDA

View Full Version : Best matching rattle can

paul91085
10-02-09, 08:06 PM
Ive got rid of the surface rust on the doors on my Gsi and now need to spray up the pataches. Whats the best rattle can paint to use? ie, is closest to the original flame red and best finish?

Cheers,

Paul

Graeme
10-02-09, 08:09 PM
Most bodyshop supplies places will make the colour to suit your car (ie the closest shade) and then put it in a rattle can for you, No one can say which will be the best 'off the shelf' can will work as there will be lots of shades/variations of the colour after twenty years of fading

paul91085
10-02-09, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that, didn't realise paint shops etc could put the colour you want in spray cans. Might as well do that then :thumb:

bmw156
10-02-09, 08:15 PM
i got halfords rattle can for my carmine red and it was perfect match and i mean perfect

it had to be the old lid type tho, as the new ones are a shade or two out.

i was v lucky i think lol

Jack
10-02-09, 08:23 PM
Halfords can mix paint too, which tends to be a bit better than their off the shelf stuff.

Some bodyshops may be able to sample your paint if you take the car to them and get a match which takes account of paint fade etc.

Southie
10-02-09, 08:25 PM
Halfords can mix paint too, which tends to be a bit better than their off the shelf stuff.

Agreed as my engine bay was done by a halfrauds mix. Oh it's metallic aswell :D

paul91085
10-02-09, 09:10 PM
Some bodyshops may be able to sample your paint if you take the car to them and get a match which takes account of paint fade etc.

My paint has faded, so the plan is to cut it back with some G3 get it looking as good as i can, then get a paint shop to match the colour that im left with.

The surface areas are mainly bare metal with a couple of areas having a slight bit of filler, whats the best primer to use?

Graeme
10-02-09, 09:13 PM
I think you can only get cellulose high build in a rattle can

blue redtop
11-02-09, 12:12 AM
i get my paint from apex they post to :)

brainsnova
11-02-09, 12:14 AM
are you not best using zinc primer.