PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Sprayer

DW-Nova
09-02-09, 08:38 PM
Hello all, just been surfing the web looking at those HVLP sprayer set up's and i'm thinking of getting one, they sound very good and seem a fair price on the whole, has anybody on here got one or used one ? heres a link to a couple. whats everybodys opinion ?

http://www.hvlpshop.co.uk/Apollo+Spraymaster-p-2.html
http://www.hvlpshop.co.uk/Apollo+Pro-spray+1500-p-1.html

ade
09-02-09, 09:38 PM
ebays a good source for HVLP compressors (just dont get the spray tan ones lol)

several for commercial use but you can get a step down transformer for £30 off there as well.

HVLP is good simply because it doesnt give as much overspray. Theres + and - for both compressor of hvlp.

Rexy's the man to speak to re painting etc...

DW-Nova
09-02-09, 10:45 PM
Cheers for the input ade, i'm very curious about these sprayer outfits as they sound very good ! i'm just thinking that i'll be best of buying one of these and painting my Nova myself instead of paying my mate 1k ish to do it at his bodyshop as firstly i'll save money, if i spend alot on the paint work i'll spend most of my time worrying about it instead of thrashing it lol and i'll always have the sprayer for future use, so anybody used one of these ? all input welcome, cheers.

ade
09-02-09, 10:55 PM
spraymaster are good so are graco. The spraymaster one though i dont think you can change the spraygun (thats it you'd want to).

Good price though...

Benn
09-02-09, 11:00 PM
lol at not giving much over spray.
It will give over spray likeanyother gun/paint system.
Over spray is down to the painter.

dougie_boi
10-02-09, 12:58 AM
hey sorry to intrude lol you could probably pick up a 100ltr tank compressor 100 pound mark and proper spray gun at the 70 pount mark which would do a better job imo thats all i use and get really good results

burgo
10-02-09, 06:07 AM
i remember seein an article about hvlp systems before. basically they got a oad of different systems and took them to a random bodyshop and got them to try them and rate them. the sprayer was extremely impressed with them and recommended them instead of the conventional systems

Rexy
10-02-09, 06:58 PM
It depends what your painting to be honest... If your doing a wagon you will neeed something pretty big which will give out 2 - 2.5 bar over a period of time. However, if your doing little bits like a wing, a side skirt etc you could get away with a 50l effort, even a 25l depending.

I painted a sprinter with a 50l compresser LMFBO, oh the fun i had.

Benn
10-02-09, 07:10 PM
I painted a sprinter with a 50l compresser LMFBO, oh the fun i had.

lol any "ah crap" moment?

Rexy
10-02-09, 08:02 PM
it was just one Big OH crap lol...

Benn
10-02-09, 08:32 PM
Had it before.. lol
Boss says Go put a coat on the tranny connect.. Walk in start painting to find theres enought to coat a door and thats all the paint.

DW-Nova
10-02-09, 08:39 PM
Wanting to respray my nova myself and thinking that it may be worth while getting myself one of these hvlp sprayers to do it, looked at getting a compressor and i'm going to be paying a fair bit for a decent set-up, decided that i'm better off doing all the painting myself as if i spend a packet on a paintjob i'm just going to spend all my time worrying about scratching it etc instead of having fun thrashing it ! thinking of just going for 2 pack white all over.

Rexy
10-02-09, 09:42 PM
Had it before.. lol
Boss says Go put a coat on the tranny connect.. Walk in start painting to find theres enought to coat a door and thats all the paint.

We get that all the time, Best on was today....

Ford focus estate, boss rings ford asks for the colour so he orders the colour... Turns out its moondust, they send some random ass silver with a mega green tint lol. did about half a coat and thought **** me pmsl....

Rexy
10-02-09, 09:44 PM
Wanting to respray my nova myself and thinking that it may be worth while getting myself one of these hvlp sprayers to do it, looked at getting a compressor and i'm going to be paying a fair bit for a decent set-up, decided that i'm better off doing all the painting myself as if i spend a packet on a paintjob i'm just going to spend all my time worrying about scratching it etc instead of having fun thrashing it ! thinking of just going for 2 pack white all over.

Roller the 2k on, flat and polish it... Job done.

DW-Nova
10-02-09, 10:01 PM
Right, i've done alot of research into these and i've decided to go for one ! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apollo-Pro-Spray-1500-HVLP-Spray-System-240V_W0QQitemZ130284492108QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bo dy_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item130284492108&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1700%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Dosnt seem like too bad a price, so then anybody got any tips for abit of DIY painting ??? guess i'll be best off doing it panel by panel ? as this should reduce the chance of getting dust in the finish, my mates is reckoning i'll defo be best of using 2 pack and has suggested white as it'll be the easiest to get a nice finish, not sure though yeh, everybody please input. cheers.

Benn
10-02-09, 10:02 PM
We get that all the time, Best on was today....

Ford focus estate, boss rings ford asks for the colour so he orders the colour... Turns out its moondust, they send some random ass silver with a mega green tint lol. did about half a coat and thought **** me pmsl....

Better when youve done half the side...lol

Rexy
10-02-09, 10:13 PM
Right, i've done alot of research into these and i've decided to go for one ! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apollo-Pro-Spray-1500-HVLP-Spray-System-240V_W0QQitemZ130284492108QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bo dy_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item130284492108&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1700%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Dosnt seem like too bad a price, so then anybody got any tips for abit of DIY painting ??? guess i'll be best off doing it panel by panel ? as this should reduce the chance of getting dust in the finish, my mates is reckoning i'll defo be best of using 2 pack and has suggested white as it'll be the easiest to get a nice finish, not sure though yeh, everybody please input. cheers.

Do your maths before you rush out mate.

£310 for that HVLP thing

Paint and activator, thinners - £100 - £150 depending and if you can get hold of 2k DG

Scotch pads or 400's prep work etc i bet all in all it will cost you just shy of £500. You will get snotters *runs* but certainly a bit of a naffish finish which you wont be happy with, so then you will need 1500's and a buffer, Plus g3 etc things are mounting up here.

Go and get some quotes from a bodyshop, get it done right the first time and in the long run save money.

ade
12-02-09, 10:43 AM
Do your maths before you rush out mate.

£310 for that HVLP thing

Paint and activator, thinners - £100 - £150 depending and if you can get hold of 2k DG

Scotch pads or 400's prep work etc i bet all in all it will cost you just shy of £500. You will get snotters *runs* but certainly a bit of a naffish finish which you wont be happy with, so then you will need 1500's and a buffer, Plus g3 etc things are mounting up here.

Go and get some quotes from a bodyshop, get it done right the first time and in the long run save money.

I agree with Rexy. I sprayed my red nova about 5 yrs ago and after I did it, it would have been cheaper getting a body shop to do it -

I build a spray booth out of tarp in a double garage. Hires a compressor for a week (£170) and got £150 of 2pk paint inc primer. Flatted the car right back (took a while and went through 2 electric sanders). It was HOT and although the primer went on okay and flatted back nicely the top coat was a nightmare. Had lots of orange peel and overspray settling on the car because the thinners evaporated before it ran out (was even using slow thinners) and didnt have a proper extraction system set up, once cured and flatted it back is went all patchy! had to respray it again - bought more paint, hired an HVLP compressor this time -went on much better than the compressor (really noisey though) and didnt bother to flat it back - actually took it to a mate who works in Vauxhall who got a mate to flat it back for me - overall spent close to £800! TBH the quotes I got were for £1200 so still saved money and I did learn TONS/experience but for only £400 difference and the time it took I would have been better getting it done by a pro.

My next project I'll probably use rollers!

:thumb:

DW-Nova
12-02-09, 11:31 PM
Cheers for the help guys ! Right then i'm rather split what to do at the moment, i've estimated that if i paint the car myself it's going to cost £500 to £700 including everything, i've got bonified quotes for the paint, primer and materials etc.. the hvlp set-up will cost me £310, i already have a DA sander and a proper machine polisher to mop the paint with once done, i've done some painting before and had fair results, one of the main reasons that i want to do it myself it to gain some experience really, plus it's something that just interests me. On the other hand my friend who own's his own bodyshop has quoted me a grand to spray the shell inside and out in a colour of my choice (non metallic) i've had plenty of work done by hime in the past and it is 100% top notch !! however i obviously wont learn anything this way and wont have the HVLP sprayer for use in future. If i do decide to do it myself am i best of using 2 pack yeh ? the biggest panel i've painted before was a tailgate that i flushed for a friend, i washed it down, panel whiped it, flatted it with my DA sander with 400 grit primed it and flatted it with 600 by hand then applied the paint. If i do my car is this the right way to go about things ? sorry for all the questions but i'm just trying to think what'll be the best, lastly, regarding the suggestion of rollering, flatting and polishing, surley this is a joke lol ? this cant look any good ???? anyone ?

dougie_boi
13-02-09, 01:52 AM
yeah id definatly go with the 2pk ebay are doing deals with piant you can probably get a gallon of direct gloss 2.5 litres of hardner and a gallon of thinners for about £70 but if your going to be doing it in a shed or the likes of where it wont have heating or in warm area you would be best to get the fast air dry hardner as well mate so the piant flashes off quicker so it doesnt run as much

dj_wudgey
13-02-09, 12:47 PM
the best way for me to paint my car is to get some one else to do it lol

DW-Nova
16-02-09, 08:26 PM
Cheers for the help "dougie boy" i think i'm gonna have a crack at it myself yeh, i'm going to france at the beggining of June for a week so i'm probably going to take off 2 weeks and spend 1 week solid on working on the car, thinking that it'll be better to do it once the air temprature is a bit warmer, i've got a couple of those Halogen heaters in my garage aswell so i should be able to get it quite nice and warm in there ! i'm going to spend between now and then preping the body for paint, putting the new back arches in, front panel and battery tray aswell as stonechipping and painting the underside, so plenty to do hey ! Just about to post up a project thread so everyone will be able to see how it goes.