PDA

View Full Version : More C20xe Problems!!

*Dave*
09-02-09, 06:23 PM
1ST problem,

took the car for a drive earlier after a full rebuild, covered around 40miles and on way home it started tapping a little, and slowly got worse. nursed it back home, plenty of oil and oil pressure gauge is showing ok on the GSI clocks.

when i open the oil filler cap when the engine is running i was expecting loads of oil to flick out but there wasnt, only 2 or 3 specs of oil came out.

any idea why it may be doin it?

2ND problem,

it hesitates when i rev it and bogs out when i try to accelerate,
i havnt revved it over 4000rpm as im running it in, but through the rev range it hesitates then goes.
could it be dodgy crank sensor?

very annoyed with this car, starting to regret doin the engine change.
cheers.

Dar
09-02-09, 06:25 PM
Where is the tapping coming from?

let_nova
09-02-09, 06:26 PM
where did you get the lifters? (if they were replaced?)

*Dave*
09-02-09, 06:29 PM
tapping is from top end, lifters are the old 1's but put back in the same place they came from so not mixed up, never used to tap at all.

let_nova
09-02-09, 06:30 PM
im sure oil should flick up when the cap is opened? what all have you replaced?

Adam
09-02-09, 06:31 PM
Do you have an oil pressure guage?

*Dave*
09-02-09, 06:33 PM
iv replaced oil pump,water pump,all gaskets and seals,etc, pistons, rings, big ends,mains.valv stem seals the lot and obviously belts.

i have the standard oil pressure gauge on my GSI clocks. the gauge mones up to almost full and is about half way on tickover.

let_nova
09-02-09, 06:34 PM
all genuine stuff?

let_nova
09-02-09, 06:34 PM
1ST problem,

plenty of oil and oil pressure gauge is showing ok on the GSI clocks.

*Dave*
09-02-09, 06:35 PM
no not genuine, but should still work surely

let_nova
09-02-09, 06:37 PM
its 50/50 with pattern parts. sorry for all the q's but just trying to help. where did you purchase oil pump etc?

*Dave*
09-02-09, 06:40 PM
its 50/50 with pattern parts. sorry for all the q's but just trying to help. where did you purchase oil pump etc?

thats fine mate its good to know people are trying to help!
EBAY unfortunatly.

but my mate bought the same pump from ebay and his is fine and we both done our builds together and been driving together at same speeds.

let_nova
09-02-09, 06:43 PM
ebay.... thats what i mean by 50/50. it may not be the oil pump. did the temp rise at all?

Sloth
09-02-09, 06:46 PM
ive heard horrror storys about non gen oil pumps. an xe wont throw oil as there is a guard inside the rocker cover to prevent it. id be making sure ya put the head gasket on the right way round....

let_nova
09-02-09, 06:51 PM
ive heard horrror storys about non gen oil pumps. an xe wont throw oil as there is a guard inside the rocker cover to prevent it. id be making sure ya put the head gasket on the right way round....

pattern pumps can be a problem. its always worth getting gen with something like the pump.

*Dave*
09-02-09, 07:00 PM

iv done the breather mod inside the rocker cover so the plate is really small.

i can see the cams flicking oil around.

the headgasket only went on 1 way round from what i could see otherwise all the holes dont line up for the water ways etc.

let_nova
09-02-09, 07:07 PM
try a change of oil and try again in that case.

tom reid
09-02-09, 07:13 PM
Did you strip and clean out the lifters, prior to refitting?, they could be gummed up with all sorts of muck, if you didn't, you should.

auzzy-b
09-02-09, 07:40 PM
Did you ensure all the pipes etc where cleaned and free from being clogged, have you thought of taking it to a garage to hook it up??

*Dave*
09-02-09, 09:13 PM
i blew the lifters out with an air line then had them sitting in a bowl of oil for a couple of days.

*Dave*
09-02-09, 11:03 PM
went out and started it at about 9.30 this evening and it tapped for the 1st few seconds then stopped and ran sweet.

left it running for about 10mins and every now and then it taps for a second then goes again. but mostly quiet.

any ideas?

Gabbo
09-02-09, 11:14 PM
me and my mate rebuilt his redtop. exactly the same thing happened, new oil pump the lot and after a few mins the tappets started tapping 1 by 1 untill morw or less they were all at it. we had it apart and back together a few times replacing bits and in the end we took the new oil pump off (which was an after market one) and found the screws were loose that held the pump gears in place so it read the was enough oil pressure but just not enough oil quantity getting up there.
dunno if that will help but just thought id share it with u :)

*Dave*
10-02-09, 11:16 AM
ok ill look into this.

thanks alot mate !!

let_nova
10-02-09, 09:09 PM
just check the oil level and take it for a nice easy run.

*Dave*
11-02-09, 12:03 AM
still tapping and getting worse.

think ill change oil pump.

if not its back to square 1.