PDA

View Full Version : why is my car whining!!!!!

Nova-Flair
21-12-02, 07:10 PM
just been out for a quick run in the car and i have been hearing a whining coming from somewhere. seems to be at low speeds and high

cheers for your help

Anton
21-12-02, 07:12 PM
My bet its a wheel bearing :)

carltoncrazy
21-12-02, 07:15 PM
anton u took the words right outa my mouth,
which corner it cuming from?

Chris LR
21-12-02, 10:37 PM
if you leave it for about 3 months it wil turn into a 'light sabre at full tilt' kinda sound. Thats when you know it needs changing.

mikeoxford
21-12-02, 10:59 PM
if you try and adjust your wheel bearing at all (as it WILL need doing cos its started making a whining noise which means it is wobbling slightly) then youur wheel will get louder

so you may as well do the job now.

ade
22-12-02, 12:55 AM
if its the rear bearings you can do these yerself - v straight fwd. Haynes will show all.

Fronts howevr I think I read somewhere something to do with the drive shafts needing a tool to get it off the wheel/bearing (not sure where I read it or if its true???)

Ade

rysmee
23-12-02, 06:27 PM
well theres the clip that holds the drive shaft which isn't too much of a problem, the hard part is getting the hub off the knuckle, then gettting the old bearing out, unless you have a round thing you can bash it out with thats exactly the same size.... lets just say this is one i'm actually prepared to pay a garage to do!

Stuart
23-12-02, 07:04 PM
you need a hydraulic press.

it took 5 tons of pressure to get my outer race free