PDA

View Full Version : Help! Suspension Advice needed!

TITCHY2002
21-12-02, 12:11 AM
I am going to put Cavalier SRI Suspension, Folks, Discs, Callipers, etc on to my Nova.
I was wondering, would it cause me any problems in the long run and with 60mm Lowering Springs, will the car look low enough and will I have any trouble going over speed bumps.

Phil_G
21-12-02, 12:55 AM
HI -

would advise against using the cavalier suspension - apart from the numerous technical reasons ( relating to spring poundage etc) it just wont work.

reccomend you fit a suspension kit designed for your model of car ( i.e nova)

but the brakes will be an improvment - as long as your wheels can fit them in..

cheers

phil

ade
22-12-02, 12:44 AM
lol @ Micky! :lol:

I had to reread the post 4 times before I clicked.

You can imagine it cant you - car all jacked up, suspension off, folks strapped in the front observing.

"Oh - you dont wanna do it like that!"

Sorry m8 - it was funny. I agree with Phil - use a proper kit for a nova for suspension - isnt the cav shock longer?

As for brakes - providing you ralloys have the clearence then you will be ok - depending on yer model you may want to upgrade the servo too to reduce extra pedal travel.

As for speed bumps - avoif at all costs!
Also avoid sharp turning circles, swerving, passengers in the rear, using the folding seats to lug wood etc from B&Q and anyting else practicle you normally get from a car!

Thats wot I found - however its was worth it just for the look!

Welcome to Novaload - you'll adapt to the "humour" soon enuff

Ade
8)

ollster
22-12-02, 01:36 AM
You cant use cavalier suspension anyway mate, this is because the front set up of the car is totally different, the cavvy uses seperate struts and damper inserts whereas the nova dampners and struts are one complete unit. Its wouldnt fit!

TITCHY2002
22-12-02, 04:12 PM
I should better use Nova GTE or GSI folks & Suspension & just use the Cavalier 2.0 SRI Discs & Callipers with a set of 60mm Lowering Springs. I am going to put 15" Fox 6 Alloys with ? Low Profile Tyres, Maybe Pirelli's. Will that work with a 1600 Astra/Cavalier Engine in my Nova.

mikeoxford
22-12-02, 05:47 PM
yup

thats what id do mate

as said previous

cav things wont work.

BUT the 2ltr brakes will help dramatically.

you may want to upgrade your brake servo to something bigger at the same time, try without and see what you think.

rgv_stu
22-12-02, 08:22 PM
As for brakes - providing you ralloys have the clearence then you will be ok - depending on yer model you may want to upgrade the servo too to reduce extra pedal travel.

the bigger servo does not gain / reduce pedal travel - its the master cylinder that pushes the fluid. so a bigger mastercylinder may be of benifit, ie the cav one. the pedal doesnt become excessively long anyway when fitting larger brakes.personally i have never changed from the standard nova m/cyl or servo as they do the job fine

rysmee
23-12-02, 06:18 PM
bigger servo/ cylinder will just make the brakes work in same way just with less pedal effort needed. its the rear bakes prop adjusted that will keep pedal short.

mikeoxford
24-12-02, 11:54 PM
id agree with rysmee there

my mechanic did my front barakes to get me through my MOT

as he was driving off he was laffing to the end of the road at the state of the brakes - but i had been used to them - arent all nova brakes like this i said!?!?!?

he fitted forrodo (SP :?) pads and cheapy cheap car spares brakes disks for princely some of ?20, and he adjusted THE LOT and bled the system

i thought my handbrake was on its way out as it was getting further and further on the rachet

now he has done it i barely get it in the first notch - and the brakes are just so UNBELIEVEABLY different

im going 2 2ltr brakes in january - so this was only :O temporary :O !!!

never mind

well worth it though!