PDA

View Full Version : Rear Compensator 4 disc brakes

sparkie1401
06-02-09, 05:16 PM
would a rear brake compensator valve from a Corsa B/tigra be suitable for a nova with rear disc brakes to stop it locking up under firm braking?

i ask as this is originally its job and the beam on the tigra /corsa b is very similar to the Nova

any help/opinions would be appreciated

mark

thanks in advance

mowgli
06-02-09, 09:24 PM
I think to do a proper job, you would need an adjustable bias valve.

Stuart
06-02-09, 09:30 PM
the adjustable valves dont cap the pressure down enough imho... they all hit (lets say 100psi) the same pressure and ramp off at a different rate given the adjustment

John
08-02-09, 08:32 AM
I read a thread somwhere, where the oe mk2 astra gte compensators can be fitted to stop this happening.
The chances of finding them are pretty slim though, so i'd go with the adjustable bias valve too.

John
08-02-09, 08:43 AM
Something like 3/30 or 3/27 reducing valves as found in novavans, cav sri's or mk2 astra gte's. The only other concern is that these will have to fitted to the nova master cylinder, and brake pipes then made to suit. The chances of finding these is probably quite slim though, i'd go with the adjustable bias.

sparkie1401
08-02-09, 10:52 PM
wont these parts still be available from the main dealer, also is there no way of fittng some other form of servo and master cylinder from a cavalier for example

Novasport
08-02-09, 11:32 PM
Never seen the point in rear discs on a Nova. Properly set up drums are perfectly adequate

Stuart
09-02-09, 08:57 AM
Never seen the point in rear discs on a Nova. Properly set up drums are perfectly adequate

agreed, you wind up backing out the pressure from the discs so much that they only do what the drums did anyway.

rear discs are only of much use on a rally car that needs to be able to do repeated H/B turns, and then its tenuous :D

GRUNT 16V
09-02-09, 12:50 PM
I Used 3/30 Valves From A B/c Reg 1.2 When I Was Running Rear Discs Never Had A Prob With Them Locking Up.

Dod
09-02-09, 02:01 PM
The Astra and Cav inline valves are located in-line towards the rear brakes.

Going off on a tangent here, while fitting non Rear Disc equipped Cavs with Rear discs, you dont need the valve so on that basis the Cav in-line valves should be sufficaint to hold the rears on a Nova.

I have a rear beam under construction I'm gonna fit to one of my Novas and test the theory, I say the best way to tell if its any good it to give it a whack but anything that'll aid braking cant be a bad thing if set up correctly.

Also, it may do no harm in investing in a Cav MS and possibly a servo to suit. They're surprisingly easy to change.

Graeme
09-02-09, 02:10 PM
My saloon had rear discs and I never change the compensators and under hard braking it was very scary, it was like you had just put the hand brake on, thus I have no decided just to rebuild my read beam with new shoes, drums, cylinders and bearings and I'm hoping that will be more than addiquet (sp)