PDA

View Full Version : Where to place axle stands? and Caliper overhaul.

holster
20-12-02, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know the best place to position a pair of axle stands for the front end of a nova (1.2)?

Has anyone themselves carried out a caliper overhaul (due to stuck caliper sliders)? I have a haynes, just wondered what problems people may have bumped into along the way. Any idea of costs involved for parts?

Many Thanks.

Manta Mad
20-12-02, 09:00 PM
I usually put them onto the chassis legs - there is a good sturdy bit behind where the suspension attaches to.

I haven't rebuilt the Calipers on a Nova but done them many times on a Manta which I think is similar - will check it out to see.

Manta Mad
20-12-02, 09:23 PM
Had a look at the Haynes book and unless you have the calipers that were fitted from 1992, they are the same.

It is quite simple to do, I have found that as well as the sliders seizing, the rubber seal inside the piston often fails causing the brakes to seize on. I haven't bought the sliders for a while but think they are around ?15 a side, the piston seal kits are ?8 a side (bought them earlier this year)

Points to watch are
Get new dust caps for the sliders, some are rubber but Vaux also do metal ones - much easier to put on. Something like 20p each.

If the sliders are badly seized, you will have to hammer them out with a suitable drift (3" socket extension bar!) You will need a large allen key or hex socket to get the sliders off, they are usually VERY tight - get a long bar on your ratchet to get extra leverage.

Make sure the tube of special grease comes with the slider kits - I believe that copper grease is not suitable. Clean all rust from the slider bores in the caliper.

If you are going to renew the piston seal as well - check the bleed nipple isn't seized before you start. Take out the brake pads and remove the caliper but keep the flexi hose connected. Apply the brakes slowly to gradually ease the piston out of the bore - its messy but works, Haynes say to use compressed air but this doesn't work.

Only fiddly part is fitting the piston new dust seal onto the caliper, you have to tap (hammer) it on and as you do one side, the other tends to pop up but you get there in the end.

holster
20-12-02, 10:13 PM
Thanks mate very useful info!!!

Do you know what parts I will need to do a complete overhaul of the calipers, as in a list form (if possible)? [As in, what to ring vaux and other places for and correct part names etc] would be best to start with all the parts than to keep having to stop now and again to ring for the rest etc.

How long does it take you to do 2 calipers on a manta usually?

Just hope my discs aren't badly scored!

Chris LR
20-12-02, 10:14 PM
Just to confirm, jack on the rear engine mount and put axel stands on chassis rails.

It won't be going anywhere.

holster
20-12-02, 10:16 PM
Cheers mate.

Manta Mad
21-12-02, 10:49 AM
Probably best to get all the parts together before you start - best check with the dealer that you get the right parts for the year of your Nova but in list form you would need. (PER CALIPER)

SLIDER OVERHALL
2 Metal outer dust covers for the sliders
2 caliper sliders (sliding sleeves) - these generally come in kit form complete with the rubber 'washers' that fit into the grooves in the sliders, the inner rubber dust covers that fit into a groove in the end of the slider and are drifted over a ridge on the caliper and a tube of grease.

PISTON OVERHALL
Again in kit form, it has the piston outer dust cover and the rubber sealing ring that fits into the groove within the bore of the caliper (where the piston slides in)

And thats all you should need - I had a look at the Haynes manual and I see it shows the caliper being separated in 2, I have always done it without separating - allow about 2 hours a caliper - if it all goes OK - remember to bleed the brakes if you renew the piston seal as well.

Dicko
21-12-02, 06:11 PM
iv got a good set of callipers with discs+pads off a GSI (ATE style) if you want them for ?25 exc p&p mail me

michael.dickinson@ntlworld.com

ade
22-12-02, 12:50 AM
MAKE SURE YOU CHOCK THE WHEELS - stick a brick or similar chiock behind each one. Halfords do 2 for ?10

Prevents accedental rollage and a crushed head!

rysmee
23-12-02, 06:31 PM
DONT DO IT!!! its never worth it, they just seaze again. if you can fit them under your wheels, go for 16v's or just go for the gsi ones above.