PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up alloys

filmbuffuk
20-12-02, 07:13 PM
hi,

my alloys are in need of a clean up and i was wondering what i should use to do this myself. i cant afford to pay some garage ?100s. i have posted a photo of the worst alloy below.

any advice would be great

cheers

http://www.tonywebber.com/images/wheel.jpg

Anton
20-12-02, 07:16 PM
just go out and find some better ones, common as muck, and cheap as cheaps.

filmbuffuk
20-12-02, 07:42 PM
i dont want to go out and buy some better ones i want to tidy these up. hence my original post.

Anton
20-12-02, 07:46 PM
yeah but with the money you spend tarting them up you mite as well get a new wheel.

Ant :P

MattyWoo
20-12-02, 08:45 PM
i dont think there is a way you can do it yourself and make it look much better than it already is, i mean a garage would probably be able to do an alright job with them, but i agree with anton, flog them ones and get some decent ones, my mate paid 60 quid for 5 wheels and centre caps with decent tyres on them. thats gonna be the cheapest option mate, trust us we know :D

Will
20-12-02, 09:30 PM
cheap as chips, do it, can get a mint set for ?60 me thinks

:D

filmbuffuk
20-12-02, 09:57 PM
thats all well and good but whos going to buy them!?

mikeoxford
20-12-02, 09:58 PM
to me in the photo it looks like th silver alloy paint has lifted and come off so unless you want to respray the alloy yourself, which again to do a good job you will spend that money prepping it and spraying it. ade answered a post a while ago on how to refurb alloys, have a flick back through a couple of pages in the styling forum.

filmbuffuk
20-12-02, 10:19 PM
what about spraying them a different colour than silver? does anyone know of any SR alloys that have been done in a different colour?

Chris LR
20-12-02, 11:03 PM
I've gone for dark grey, Then again they've got 3 months of dust of them.

I think dark grey would look prettysmart done right.

Matt Finary
20-12-02, 11:50 PM
It's a bit of p!ss to recondition your alloys, I have done a guide if you want it. I will post it tomorrow.

Matt :)

baha_guy
20-12-02, 11:51 PM
anyone no were i can get a good set of those alloys

Matt Finary
21-12-02, 12:00 AM
I have 4 at mine, they were off the flying machine. Chris I have your vent I will post it on Monday as I don't know where I am over the weekend :P .

Matt :)

ade
22-12-02, 01:07 AM
like micky says.

I did mine back in july and theyre mint still - took me long enuff so should be! All stuff available in halfords or similar car shop

1 Sand back old paint/ruff up surface on paint thats bonded still - feather edges (smooth so you cant feel an edge). To get in the spokes wrap some wet n dry around some dowling rod or similar.

Where possible smooth chips/dents in rim - you can get these repaired but not worth it.

2 Clean off with a suitable degreaser (panel wipe or similar) whole wheel!

2a mask off rubber section of wheel. best way is to put wheel in a bin bag, seal the opening then with a stanley knife gently cut the bag around the rim, then using masking tape seal the bag edsge against the edge of the wheel and rim - leaving the alloy exposed only! Pack inside area with strunched up newspaper or similar to prevent paint collecting and blowing back up causing dust marks.

3 Prime with suitable primer - grey will work. 4 coats

4 allow to dry between coats and leave for 24 hours in warm place

5 smooth back with fine wet n dry (dry) then clean off using degreaser again

6 spray wheel in chosen colour (solver wheel paint is good, sos hammerite in cans - alternatively use a car panel paint - black?)

7 apply 4 coats - getting in all areas - watch runs/build up in spoke areas - allow to dry between coats.

8 Leave for 24-48 hours for paint to cure - warm dry place

10 lightly sand 1000 wet n dry - wet (only of not metalic)

9 to keep protected lacquer with 3-4 coats for extra shine and protection (metalis or non - if sanded previously the lacquer will make shine so dont worry) - watch for runs

10 allow to dry for at least a week in warm area or at leats 48 hours

11 AVOID KERBS AT ALL COSTS!

Good luck
:D

Ben Ritchie
24-12-02, 05:06 PM
doing them yourself is easy.just like everyone has mentioned aforehand.can be cheap doing them yourself but if you fcuk up then you will have to do it again so it cud be better buying another alloy they are cheap as fcuk cuz they are so common