PDA

View Full Version : IT folk help please

Stuart
20-12-02, 05:50 PM
after using the reset button when win xp pro hung the other day it wont boot, only throws up an error saying to use the repair console.

i ran the xp recovery console and did the "fixboot" and "fixmbr"

but they have done bugger all.

the hdd is 40Gb partioned into two twenty Gb's.

they are both formatted in ntfs mode.

when i get to the "recovery" version of dos it cant see the windows directory or anything else for that matter, leading me to belive the boot sector/record and file allocation table is missing/corrupt.

is there any way of recovering this? i know i should have backed up my data but a)no CD burner and b)way too much to do it on a regular basis.

cheers

ps win xp pro is stupid lol

Alex
20-12-02, 06:02 PM
where abouts in the boot does it fail. Can you access the startup menu if you hold F8 down?
If not
Try a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com that help save me once.

Do you have cd access in dos mode?

mikeoxford
20-12-02, 06:04 PM
you help me ill help you!

what id suggest is put the win xp cd in the drive, and reboot your computer, win xp is a bootable cd, so let it try and install over the top of your knackered install.

what it will do - even if you tell it to install etc etc is to actually repair your systems problems, and do whats called a system restore, putting you back to a point when there was last known good configuration and software installation

hope that may help a bit

worked on my old mans machine

we use FAT32 file system though

NTFS is a pig, i used it once, fcuked my whole server, never tried it again

NOW THEN!

can you answer my porting question in ICE please mate? i know you reitred and all but i tried to help ya out a bit!

respect
mike

mikeoxford
20-12-02, 06:08 PM
also another thing to note is dont bother loading cd drivers or whatever, that dont matter - so dont worry bowt it

for some reason when you whack the win xp pro cd in, and boot the PC from it, it just does it! dosent seem to need drivers - dont no how it does it, just f00kin clever these japaneese!

Stuart
20-12-02, 07:11 PM
i had done all that anyway

btw i dont know anything about the physics behind bass ports :D

then again i could read your post lol