PDA

View Full Version : Sticking GSI Drum

paul91085
05-02-09, 03:50 PM
Recently bought a nova gsi, it is fitted with standard rear drums and 2ltr 16v front brakes. Hasn't been driven for a while and after taking it out on its first run i found the right rear drum was sticking on and not releasing properly. Took it off today and wound out the adjuster, then put it all back together and went for a run. Got back and break was steaming and sticking worse than before. Also when i pull the hand brake there is no gradual increase in braking, it just doesnt release.

What could be causing it to stick each time and not release? Any help appreciated.

Paul :thumb:

Jay
05-02-09, 03:54 PM
Get the car on a ramp (if one available) and check cables are not corroded badly. Are you sure you would the adjuster the right way, sounds to me like you adjusted it outwards instead of de-adjusting the shoes inwards.

brainsnova
05-02-09, 03:59 PM
sounds like the handbrake cable is getting stuck at the usaul place where it passes through the rear axle corner.

paul91085
05-02-09, 04:00 PM
Don't have acess to a ramp, would have to jack it up. Definitely adjusted the right way, as i struggled to get drum off , but went on easy after adjustment was made and the drum spun fine.

Shaun_O'Donnell
05-02-09, 04:04 PM
Money is on the sticky handbrake cable.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the rear drums, shoes and spring sets. Oh and the cables.

adam c
06-02-09, 12:15 AM
yeah the handbrake cables normally get stuck in the guides on the rear axle.

brainsnova
06-02-09, 12:18 AM
the guides were a fail for vauxhall on the nova. grease them up regular.

paul91085
06-02-09, 09:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies, you were spot on. Jacked the car up today and found that the handbrake cable was getting stuck on the corner of the axle. When i removed the cable it was also quite badly rusted and frayed. Going to pick up and fit a new one tommorow :D