PDA

View Full Version : Stiff

Anton
20-12-02, 02:27 PM
After going fast (70+) it is hard 2 get in2 second gear (e,g at a roundabout) Any ideas how to sort it?

Alex
20-12-02, 02:31 PM
it could be synchromesh gone/worn. Hope not though as that means new gearbox if you want to fix it :o .
Rushing to you aid again Anton :)

Anton
20-12-02, 02:38 PM
wow what service lol

Its not that bad just pisses me off, only happens the first few gear changes after coming off the motorway

Alex
20-12-02, 02:51 PM
sounds like it could be. still don't take my word for it

Manta Mad
20-12-02, 03:52 PM
I would agree - sounds like syncromesh problem but it might be worth trying a gearbox oil change. I had a problem were occassionally I couldn't get 5th gear when changing up from 4th. I changed the oil and never had the problem again - I used the proper Vauxhall stuff - Dexron III I think.

Anton
20-12-02, 03:56 PM
i'll give that a try..

RobHardyUK
23-12-02, 02:33 PM
I have a similar prob on occassions, but its wen i have been running. and then stop (i.e. at traffic lights) i cannot get dee fooking ting into 1st, no good wen im tryin to race the ol (excuse my french) fiestas!!!!

Stuart
23-12-02, 02:37 PM
mine was stiff, then i checked the fluid level and it was a tad low (took 1 liter and the capacity is about 1.8 lol).

now its not so stiff, but i think the smal ammount of damage has been done, just gotta keep the level up.

rysmee
23-12-02, 05:57 PM
tyy reving the engine a little when trying to get it in gear, if it goes in easier then its the syncromesh like the others said. it happened on my old car so i learn't to heel and toe and it was never a problem after that.

mikeoxford
24-12-02, 11:50 PM
where can yoout top up the gearbox oil??

does haynes show you this?

Chris LR
26-12-02, 07:30 PM
I've checked levels before so it must be in Haynes, unless I was born with the knowledge.

I always have trouble getting into 1st when coming to a junction at highist speeds. I simply apply more and more pressure until something happens. 99% of the time it will go in, the other 1% it makes a clunking/crunching noise so I ease off and go down through the gears. 5th has never liked me, and as a result I apply the same pressure to 5th as I do to 1st.

Manta Mad
27-12-02, 12:03 AM
There is an oil level check plug on the gearbox end - access under the N/S front wing, the plug is to the right of the driveshaft. For some reason you can only check the level here - unscrew the plug, if oil runs out then level is OK, if not then it needs oil. Top up by unscrewing the breather plug on top of the gearbox and adding oil here.

When I had the 5th problem its as if the box had changed to 4 speed - couldn't find 5th at all when changing up from 4th. If I went into 3rd then 5th was easy :?: but the gearbox oil change fixed that :D

Aragorn
27-12-02, 12:10 AM
i find if u try to slam the tranny into 1st approaching a roundabout at high speed (ie 25mph+) it just wont go till uve slowed down a bitty

i think its summat to do with the tranny internals that are still rotating while the vehicle is moving - ie the drive gears will be turning at way over the 6000rpm max if u attempt to engage first at 40 mph

might be miles off but thats what ive come up with :)

i notice if i engage first at 20mph or higher i hear the gearbox howls/whines a bit until i slow down

not sure if this is normal or is actually a fault

i also find it hard to engage gears when its cold, especially 1st and 3rd