PDA

View Full Version : Driveshafts-round 2

Anonymous
15-11-00, 01:33 PM
OK, I think I wasn't clear enough: I need to know the lenght of the bare shafts for a Nova big engine conversion, as I am going to do my own shafts by cutting the Astra and Nova shafts, slotting and welding them together... So please, anyone who knows the lenght please send it to me!
Cheers!

Anonymous
15-11-00, 06:54 PM
well basically they gota be the nova legnth as the box sits in nearlly the same place

Anonymous
15-11-00, 09:53 PM
'kin 'ell m8 I've just gave you an answer on the mig board but I didn't realise you were going to cut and weld them!!

I've had a look and they are the same as nova ones but you will kill your self with cut'n'shut shafts as they aren't balanced and no matter how good a welder you think you are you will never get full penetration (ooh-eerr!!!) so they won't be very strong and lastly they cost a couple of hundred nicker for new ones so stop being tight and buy them you might live longer!!

Anonymous
16-11-00, 08:37 AM
Jimbo most of the shafts you can buy at about ?200 have been made by splicing a nova and astra shaft, this is how I made my own shafts and they have been fine.

Anonymous
16-11-00, 07:11 PM
The shafts I bought for ?200 nicker are the same as all the "best" tuning companies sell for at least twice that amount and they are made from fresh blanks and are turned and balanced you just have to get in touch with the guy who makes them for the big boys and buy direct and save yourself a fortune. On another note about companies ripping you off I know a guy who works in the scrap yard that supplies one of the biggest with engines and the mark up is unreal you would not believe it!
As for your home made drive shafts I have no doubt that they work fine but trust me when I say they aren't as strong and safe as new ones no matter how good a welder you are (I used to do weld inspection on sellafield for a living so I know!)
Have you ever thought what a mess it would make of a car if a drive shaft snapped at 120-130mph? All for the sake of ?200 it's not worth the risk! You sort the brakes and the suspension the driveshafts are as important in some cases more so. But it's your choice....one last thing your insurance will probably be null and void if they found out ask them and see!