PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes locking on my car?

cossienova
05-02-09, 12:02 AM
When i brake in my car the rear brakes are locking,even when braking lightly.All the front brakes are new and the rear has been overhauled.Someone said to me it could be the proposional valves that are screwed into the master cylinder,could this cause them too lock? if so could i take them apart and clean them or just get new ones? thanks leigh.

jimbob-mcgrew
05-02-09, 01:52 AM
the rear drums arent over-adjusted are they ?
or the cars been sat un-used for a period of time ?

mowgli
05-02-09, 06:40 AM
the rears sound like they aren't adjusted up enough & the fronts probably need bleeding more. if you had a garage do it, then take it in again

meritlover
05-02-09, 08:39 AM
the rear drums arent over-adjusted are they ?

you cannot over adjust the rear brakes or the drums will not fit on.

check the front brakes are working properly, if they are bad then you will be pressing harder and forcing the rears to work before the fronts.

or its the valves as you say, or someone has switched the pipework over for a laugh.:confused:

jimbob-mcgrew
05-02-09, 02:42 PM
you cannot over adjust the rear brakes or the drums will not fit on.

course u can, u can wack em on by hand and they could be over-adjusted.
some even do it with a hammer, which u can get much more brutal results with.

Southie
05-02-09, 02:45 PM
Take the handbrake off lol

inushmiah
05-02-09, 04:27 PM
its the battory m8 had the same problem lol
na sounds like u need to adjust the rears
also are both rears locking up at same time

cossienova
05-02-09, 06:41 PM
Cars used everyday just started doing it all of a sudden.Front has new callipers,discs and pads,rear recently had new shoes and i adjusted them so that the drums were tight goin on the handbrake works well but isnt sticking.Also think that only the one wheel is locking.

meritlover
06-02-09, 08:46 AM
course u can, u can wack em on by hand and they could be over-adjusted.
some even do it with a hammer, which u can get much more brutal results with.

you're doing it wrong.

bai1ey
06-02-09, 10:59 AM
i have heard of the drums worping and going slightly oval this way when you are braking and the wheel comes to a flat point it will lock. my mate had it with his corsa people told him it was this that and the other and one bloke sed it might be worped drums

keithrg
06-02-09, 11:04 AM
I had same with my nova somthing about correct balencing of brakes. I liked it like that so left to alone. This was aftre I had new cable fitted but at first only wone side worked on handbrake. which was excerlant fun but sadly a mot fail.

inushmiah
06-02-09, 12:47 PM
y dont u try to dejust the side thats locking

jimbob-mcgrew
06-02-09, 01:16 PM
inushmiah - "its the battery mate, had the same prob" lol joker

if the calipers have been recently changed, yeh sounds like theres air or what not at the fronts, and there getting pressure later than the rears.
bleed up the system, all 4 quarters, twice round if need be, should sort it out :thumb:

cossienova
06-02-09, 05:54 PM
Cheers guys,going to go throughn the lot again to cure it,will have to sort it for the mot.