PDA

View Full Version : twin 45's

worst-son
04-02-09, 05:53 PM
hi guys, i have a xe corsa, i was looking at getting a set of carbs on her!

what sort of power would i get?
what are they like to live with?
what are they like to get set up?
how often do they need to be set up?:thumb:

Pistol Pete
04-02-09, 06:09 PM
Power: varies on what else you have done to the engine. At a guess 190ish BHP??

They can be juicey depending on how heavy footed you are lol

Setup: get it booked in to a rolling road place and have it done properly IMO. Dont AFAIK need regular setups. The search function should give you anymore info you need.

Stuart
04-02-09, 08:25 PM
how often do they need to be set up?:thumb:

ONCE by someone who isnt a cnut

Jim
04-02-09, 10:24 PM
ONCE by someone who isnt a cnut
lol

chimp007_uk
04-02-09, 10:59 PM
A standard 150ish hp xe with 45's should see 170ish. and they dont need regular tuning, as stu said, find a good genuine old school tuner!

Count Vaux Alot
04-02-09, 11:12 PM
A standard 150ish hp xe with 45's should see 170ish. and they dont need regular tuning, as stu said, find a good genuine old school tuner!

Agreed :thumb:

muzzy
04-02-09, 11:19 PM
My mate had weber 40s on his mk1 Fiesta and they were the worst things ever, they were tuned by someone who said they knew what they were doing and got it roughly like it should have been then went to a rolling road and was set up there and it was a totally different car.

chimp007_uk
04-02-09, 11:34 PM
My mate had weber 40s on his mk1 Fiesta and they were the worst things ever, they were tuned by someone who said they knew what they were doing and got it roughly like it should have been then went to a rolling road and was set up there and it was a totally different car.

that doesn't make twin carbs the "worst thing ever" it means that you need a reliable well known tuner and not some back street garage...

muzzy
04-02-09, 11:39 PM
I meant they were the worst thing ever at that point since it ran like ****e. It was me that set them up for him properly. Im not a well known tuner either im just a mechanic.

Geordie-Chris
05-02-09, 12:45 PM
Aye, I'd say realistically 170bhp should be acheivable, but I've seen a badly set up XE on carbs make 155bhp, onthe same day mine (with cams and headwork) make 187bhp, set up properly by a well known local tuner.
Tbh, they are ****ing thirsty, and for not a massive increase in performance!! If you've got plenty of money for fuel then go for it, the sound alone is amazing, people stop and stare whenever you boot it!!

Stuart
05-02-09, 01:37 PM
they (once well setup) are only as thirsty as your right foot lets them be...

adam c
06-02-09, 12:13 AM
they (once well setup) are only as thirsty as your right foot lets them be...

as stu says if you take it easy they arent that bad but the problem with them is the sound gets addictive so you seem to put your foot down more and then your fuel does drop down!lol

mines my daily driver and tbh i havent a problem with the fuel consumption but at the end of the day do you want performance or fuel consumption?:thumb: lol

paul91085
08-02-09, 08:20 PM
Ive just run my first tank full through my 2.1 8v on twin 45's. I filled the tank and got 210miles and thats with a mixture of town driving, motorway at 70-80 and some heavy right foot moments.

I can only compare it to my cammed gte which used to get around 260 around town and 320 on a run doing 80, but its not really a useful comparison.

What do other people get on their twin carbs?

Geordie-Chris
08-02-09, 08:29 PM
I really dont get particularly good MPG, no matter how I drive it. Motorway driving to Santa Pod etc (4+ hours) is a pretty expensive trip!! I still wouldn't change it for the world tho!!
I once drove thru a tunnel and booted it big style, a fit blonde in the passenger seat of a convertable M3 with the roof down nearly snapped her neck turning round to see what it was, ha ha!! Moments like that are worth the extra fuel, every tunnel and quick car you beat is awesome!!!