PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused.com

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-02-09, 01:08 AM
Right im in abit of a messed up situation..

I got a nova 1.6 turbo for 3k.. had it a few months piston/ rings went twice in 2 months.. Stood me at 4-5k.

So after bill after bill.. i finially figure enough is enough, time to get rid.

So i buy a 02 plate black saxo vtr as a car untill i came to sell my nova, expecting to get alot more than i actually did.

Ended up letting her go for a measly 1k..

They guy i sold it to is a mechanic, And since he's had it.. the cars been bored out, low compression pistons, all head work sorted out. New fuel set up, inlet was very rough. New front arches, sprayed back bumper.. and a detail expert to go over any marks in the paintwork.

He came to my work (petrol station today) And my stomache dropped to floor when i saw my nova again.

finially.. He's selling it for 2k! What should i do?

How i see it, that nova stands me at 3k so if i sold my saxo for 2k.. i could buy the nova back.

Kinda like if i never of bought the saxo.. and kept the nova.. fixed it, it would of cost 1k for low comp forged pistons.. inlet sorted and all fueling inc laybour.

He also said he had a guy work out all compression ratio's etc, and he said that the engine can take 16 bar of total compression and without the turbo its 13 bar, which means the turbo can go upto 3 bar of boost :tard::tard:?

Thought id ask you guy's because you all have a brain unlike the users on saxperience.com.... lol

Any comments/advice would be mucho apreciated!! :thumb::thumb:

sulphur
04-02-09, 01:58 AM
Buy it back. Sounds like a bargain at that price. Then let me have a go:D
Any pics of it?

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-02-09, 02:10 AM
im going tommorrow morning with 2k to collect my keys! you musta seen it? its the black one with j 770va as the reg.

sulphur
04-02-09, 02:40 AM
I recognise the reg, but can't find any pics of it. Post some up tomorrow when you pick her up!:thumb: Where you buyin it from?

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-02-09, 02:44 AM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7232/p1809081303pr5.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1809081303pr5.jpg)

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-02-09, 02:45 AM
proven 175bhp, but now with low comp pistons so more boost :O

L33 LEG
04-02-09, 09:33 AM
nothing worse than seeing your old car whilst working. i know exactly how u feel, so i bought mine back lol

just buy it. doesnt matter about how much you loose, its only money. if u love a car, just buy it! and if he has got it all sorted then at least ul enjoy it more now. im glad i never bought it off you now tho Lol if the pistons kept going :)

dougie_boi
04-02-09, 09:41 AM
yeah buy it back mate at the end of the day most of us lose money on our novas anyway but its worth it just to own one and now all the works been done so you can just buy it and enjoy :thumb:

Stuart
04-02-09, 09:51 AM
your money, your life, do what the fcuk you want..... dont ask a forum that is heavily biased to one car lol

EUROTURBO
04-02-09, 10:12 AM
get the nova back mate...fcuk the french ****e off!!!!

dj_wudgey
04-02-09, 11:11 AM
get the nova back mate...fcuk the french ****e off!!!!

i agree mate get it and have some fun!!!

Southie
04-02-09, 11:17 AM
See if the guy will do a straight swap for the saxhomo.

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-02-09, 12:09 PM
on way down there, doupt he would do a straight swop. He only drives 'fast' cars lol

Mike
04-02-09, 07:19 PM
Thats bollox chap, you cant physically get low comp pistons for the E16 motor. The charger youve got prolly wouldnt take 3 bar of boost what so ever anyway!!!

turbo-boy
04-02-09, 07:36 PM
agree with mike.all the work he has done would be way more than a grand even tho he did the work himself sound like he is talkin the talk.why buy it for £1000 fix everything and sell it for £2000.could hav skimmed pistons in it or he worked with the head to lower the compression.but at the end of the day its your money

Jack
04-02-09, 07:48 PM
So he's added some SYN grooves (LOL), realised the motor is shot and in an effort to sell it back to a gullab- you, he's talked about all this work he's supposedly had done and upped the price to make you think you're getting a bargain? :D

Or is that just me being cynical.. lol

Benn
04-02-09, 07:49 PM
Never sell your car cause you're funked off with it, as someone will allways fix it and you'll want it back..
Happens all the time.

white2lSR
04-02-09, 07:54 PM
Keep the saxo, that nova was/is a bad un, you should realise that from the money you lost and the amount of time it took to sell it. It WILL break again and it WILL cost you more money.

STAY WELL AWAY!

Adam*D
04-02-09, 08:06 PM
How long has this other bloke had your car? seems like he's done quite a lot of work on it for very little profit. I would be quite sceptical and would want to see receipts for everything he has done before I give him any money.

P.s, sell the saxo immediately before it expires and needs to be turned into frag bait!

CP
04-02-09, 09:43 PM
Dont bother with old skool 1.6 turbos - nothing but trouble IMO and everything that goes wrong costs as you have found out. You are well rid

wilson_sri
04-02-09, 09:55 PM
Dont bother with old skool 1.6 turbos - nothing but trouble IMO and everything that goes wrong costs as you have found out. You are well rid
:cry: Not really had much bother with mines. HG went, but that was down to head bolts not being torqued right :roll: Then a boost hose split, but it was old and i was giving it big licks. Think its the same as any tuned motor. You have risks sometimes your lucky sometimes your not.

I say buy it back! Cracking wee motor.

What pistons did he use?! I have never been able to find any :eek:

craig green
04-02-09, 10:11 PM
It all sounds like a dubious story tbh, however one persons knackered (& getting rid) is anothers easily sorted & fixed.

Leave it alone IMO.

Simon 1867
04-02-09, 10:18 PM
Did you buy it?

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-02-09, 11:00 PM
i went down with 2k cash. And he wouldnt sell it back to me! Said one of he's mates helped him with the rebuild/costs.. so they'd split the cash from selling it... but he wants to keep it lol.

Im going to stay well away. Vts engine is looking like the next buy! Seen a 56k engine with box.. 375 ;)

You lot are right, i would of probally blew it up lol.

Mike he said he had the block bored out to fit the low comp pistons in mate. Can only go off his word, but the same day he bought it.. it was stripped to basics, so he didnt do much messing about.

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-02-09, 11:03 PM
And i know you lot hate saxo's but i think im going to keep it. Decent suspension and tyres they handle pretty good. Got basic upgrades, like spax shocks n springs. Love the way it handles tbh!

Simon 1867
04-02-09, 11:36 PM
As long as your happier matey...never know another Nova might come up that melts your heart.

muzzy
04-02-09, 11:47 PM
I've never had good luck buying cars that ive owned previously, just keep an eye out for another one maybe wont be a 1600T but one will jump out at you at some point

Stuart
05-02-09, 09:48 AM
I'll take the VTS airbox off you for £5 :D

meritlover
05-02-09, 09:54 AM
He also said he had a guy work out all compression ratio's etc, and he said that the engine can take 16 bar of total compression and without the turbo its 13 bar, which means the turbo can go upto 3 bar of boost :tard::tard:?

where did this figure of 16bar appear from? how on earth was this calculated?

it does not work like that. as the charge density increases the flame is more violent in the combustion chamber and makes it more likely for detonation to occur and smash your pistons in seconds.

think of it like resting a hammer gently on an egg shell to a point where it can support its weight, then think of hitting the egg with the hammer and see what difference it makes to the egg.

i hope you can understand my explanation

mowgli
05-02-09, 10:32 AM
i guessed it was maybe 1bar x compression ratio....... but that would only account for logically maybe 8 or 9 bar if low comp pistons were used, not 13bar without turbo & 16bar with......

isn't turbo boost worked out on the air pressure on the inlet side after the impellor????

you wouldn't realistically get that pressure even in a diesel......

chimp007_uk
05-02-09, 10:36 AM
8 or 9 bar

I'm guessing he means psi

mowgli
05-02-09, 10:42 AM
I'm guessing he means psi

if normal atmospheric pressure is 1 bar, then the maximum pressure in an engine with a cr or 9:1 is less than 9bar due to the restrictions in port flow.

the turbo makes up for some of that but usually only by about 1/2 to 1bar if its well built, so thus the maximum engine pressure is 8 or 9 bar.

Stuart
05-02-09, 10:54 AM
i guessed it was maybe 1bar x compression ratio....... but that would only account for logically maybe 8 or 9 bar if low comp pistons were used, not 13bar without turbo & 16bar with......

isn't turbo boost worked out on the air pressure on the inlet side after the impellor????

you wouldn't realistically get that pressure even in a diesel......

"boost" = MAP - BAP

Me thinks he had it compresison tested at 13Bar (which is fooking low even for a turbod car) and then added a magic 3Bar number to it for a laugh

mowgli
05-02-09, 11:05 AM
"boost" = MAP - BAP

Me thinks he had it compresison tested at 13Bar (which is fooking low even for a turbod car) and then added a magic 3Bar number to it for a laugh

how is 13bar low????? surely it means the theoretical cr is about 14-15:1

and compression testing a turbo, bearing in mind the restrictions of the impellors & the fact that it is turning over on the starter, it would be lower than for if the turbo was taken off

Stuart
05-02-09, 11:10 AM
lol ahh yeah 13Bar = 190psi... pretty good for a good condition 1.6 8V... Dans used to do about 230psi, so the turbo being in the way can let that off. But still would appear that he got that compression test number, pulled 3bar of boost out of his ass and added that on (incorrectly of course)

calculated CR and compression test results as far as im concerened are two VERY VERY different things.
You have, air flow restrictions in the inlet/exhaust
you have air density variations
Starter motor speed
block temperature
etc.

mowgli
05-02-09, 11:12 AM
lol ahh yeah 13Bar = 190psi... pretty good for a good condition 1.6 8V... Dans used to do about 230psi, so the turbo being in the way can let that off. But still would appear that he got that compression test number, pulled 3bar of boost out of his ass and added that on (incorrectly of course)

calculated CR and compression test results as far as im concerened are two VERY VERY different things.
You have, air flow restrictions in the inlet/exhaust
you have air density variations
Starter motor speed
block temperature
etc.

and the fact that the average compression tester has never ever been calibrated from the day it was knocked up in a shed in china