PDA

View Full Version : GTE Water Pump Removal

bsa_man
02-02-09, 08:48 PM
I'm trying to beat the water pump out of my GTE. I've read the other threads where other people have asked similar questions and the best tried and tested is to wack the pump hard on the top with a bar to loosen it. i've been beating it now for about half an hour and am worried that if i hit it much more I'll beak the cast iron housing its situated in. Any suggestions?

mowgli
02-02-09, 08:54 PM
if all three retaining bolts are out, then the usual method is to hit it about with a hammer & a bar...can you get a mole grip on the pulley & wiggle it???

bsa_man
02-02-09, 09:10 PM
I've got it drenched in oil at the min. I have the 3 bolts removed also and have been giving it a good beating from the top down onto the drive pully of it. Not too sure about the grips, I'll bring a pair home from work tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks for any advice, hopefully tomorrow it'll come free.

chimp007_uk
02-02-09, 09:17 PM
try from all sides... I ahd the same problem on a gte engine i rebuilt a couple of months back

Welsh Dan
02-02-09, 11:43 PM
Take the pipe off the other end of the pump housing, stick an extension bar in there and tap it with a hammer :thumb:.

*Dave*
03-02-09, 01:30 AM
Take the pipe off the other end of the pump housing, stick an extension bar in there and tap it with a hammer :thumb:.

works a treat :thumb:

bsa_man
03-02-09, 06:30 PM
Cheers everyone, got the pump off there, will be trying to rebuild now in about half an hour. Any tips on belt tensioning? Not a lot of room to get a spanner on to the pump to rotate it.

*Dave*
03-02-09, 06:32 PM
it should have a tensioner pulley.

bsa_man
03-02-09, 06:40 PM
It just has the water pump that rotates to tighten the belt. Its a 1989 model, I thought the tensioners came out in 1990 just? I'm prob wrong.

jonn
03-02-09, 07:30 PM
u use a vice grips and tighten it on to the water pump then try and turn it up or down

Welsh Dan
03-02-09, 08:29 PM
Cheers everyone, got the pump off there, will be trying to rebuild now in about half an hour. Any tips on belt tensioning? Not a lot of room to get a spanner on to the pump to rotate it.

I lopped the other end off the spanner :thumb:.

bsa_man
06-02-09, 12:24 AM
cheers everyone, got my mate to plasma cut me a spanner outta 3mm steel at work, one which was juat the right fit. Job done, Many thanks everyone