PDA

View Full Version : GSi Electric Windows

nutsaboutnovas
19-12-02, 11:13 AM
In My GSi the drivers side window only goes down about an inch and then gets stuck.. if you spray the sides of the windows with WD40 this then works for a while but then it gets stuck again... really pissing me off.. any suggestions!!!

This car is really nice just bought it.. full sevice history K reg and it only done 33,618 miles!!! on all the vauxhall service stuff did aout 6000 roughly did 3000 miles per year ith only 2 previous owners!!!

Thanks for any coments about the windows

:o Cheers people :o

Manta Mad
19-12-02, 12:45 PM
Sounds like an excellent Nova - and rare to find with such low miles. With the window I would have a look inside the door and check that the guides are all tight - if there is any adjustment available on them, this could make a difference. Check also that the door frame isn't twisted at all causing an extra strain on the motor.

Could be that the motor is worn though. :(

nutsaboutnovas
19-12-02, 01:12 PM
ok i will try that any other ideas in the meantime though??

cheers for feedback

Alex
19-12-02, 03:02 PM
go down to halfords and get some rubber lubricant (oh er) which comes in an aerosol. Worked with my windows when i had the same problem as you. It should only be about ?5. :)

Ric 16v
19-12-02, 06:59 PM
when I put GSi electric windows in I put LOADS of grease on the motors and I think I put a little on the top bit of the guides where the glass stays, and u should c them go, way faster than any other nova's (maybe not though)

Chris LR
19-12-02, 09:39 PM
I had the same problem with me SR, I changed the door.

But apart from the rust I used Water Displacement 40th attempt (WD40) on the windows.

Nova-Flair
19-12-02, 10:15 PM
But apart from the rust I used Water Displacement 40th attempt (WD40) on the windows.

no one likes a smart arse! :lol:

mikeoxford
20-12-02, 01:38 AM
:lol: @ wd40 joke

you need the proper rubber lube stuff from halfords mentioned

reason why wd40 works for a bit then goes is cos it evaporates and dosent stay like proper lube

be careful not to get it everywhere though, because otherwise everytime you raise and lower you window you get lllluurrrvveeelllyyyy grease streaks all up and down! :evil:

Chris LR
20-12-02, 01:40 AM
Changing the door solved my problem entirely.

Manta Mad
20-12-02, 10:17 AM
Did you change the door and internals or did you transfer your electric motor etc over to the new door?

carltoncrazy
20-12-02, 10:55 AM
i had this with the rear door on the carlton,
get the door panel off,get sum1 to press the button,
then put ur hands on either side of the glass,and slowly jigly it(techincal words)it will work its way free slowly,also spray the window motor with wd 40,
but its jaming for a reason,throwing rubber stuff at it may work for an hour or so :wink: but you cant beat a good fiddle to help it and sort it properly.
just slowly move the window,with both hands pressed on either side.whilts sum1 is pressing the button,
sorted it for me,
dont spray wd 40 on ya windows,its a fuck 2 polish out

neiloakley
20-12-02, 11:13 AM
IT'S THE MIDDLE OF WINTER. WHY'D YOU WANNA UNDO THE WINDOWS ANYWAY?

Chris LR
20-12-02, 10:19 PM
Kept the glass and stored the rest.

I have a winter policy on my car, It doesn't get washed and the windows don't open.