PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 1200 SPi to 1200 carb.

Leeboo
02-02-09, 04:54 PM
Hi, as the title suggests, I have a K-reg shell sat here (1992 I think) which was originally a 1.2 injection. The last owner tried to fit a 1600 carb engine and burnt the wiring loom.

I intend to fit a 1200 carb engine and carb loom so that I am not voiding insurance, I don't want to fit an injection engine.

Will the car pass mot emissions test with a 1200 carb engine? Does the carb engine produce different emissions to the injection? I suppose I would need a cat?

Cheers

Sloth
02-02-09, 04:56 PM
no it wont pass the emmissions for it, yes you would need a cat, but the carb will burn it out. and you will have to notify the insurers as its a modification away from std.

meritlover
02-02-09, 05:53 PM
i was under the impression that the emmisions test required was dictated by the end of the engine, not the car.
there for if you can prove the age of the carb engine then you are ok

AlexW
02-02-09, 09:27 PM
ML is right, If you can prove the engine year (End of cam iirc?) to your MOT'er then your be fine.

But yes, it should be declared on the insurance. Ive got a 1200 SPI engine here if ya want. Inc everything.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-02-09, 10:07 PM
i dont even think they do any of that do they ?
whatever engines in the car is what they run the test against ?

General Baxter
02-02-09, 10:17 PM
dont CARBS suck lol

Leeboo
03-02-09, 09:25 AM
slothsport - cheers for the input. Its just, I was under the impression the car is just classed as a 1200 (no note of injection or carb), and so as long as its a 1200 engine then insurance are happy?

Thanks for the rest of the advice and opinions. AW06 - thanks a million for the offer but I'm in NI and I plan to fit a carb loom and engine.

I've got a sweet running 1600 carb engine here which has just been serviced etc but I'm trying to keep on the right side of the insurance by using the 1200 engine:mad: .

nova ian
03-02-09, 09:52 AM
no it wont pass the emmissions for it, yes you would need a cat, but the carb will burn it out. and you will have to notify the insurers as its a modification away from std.

Not at all!! lol

It will be fine on emissions as long as its setup right as theres plenty of people still running carb engines!

You don't need a cat, I have had a 2 K reg novas and removed the cats and never ever had a problem. 1992/93 was when they started putting cats on cars but they were not compulsary until after then

and as for notifying the insurers it debateable, but end of the day the engine still a 1200 so I wouldn't bother, any bigger engine and its a must :thumb:

Leeboo
03-02-09, 10:03 AM
Not at all!! lol

It will be fine on emissions as long as its setup right as theres plenty of people still running carb engines!

You don't need a cat, I have had a 2 K reg novas and removed the cats and never ever had a problem. 1992/93 was when they started putting cats on cars but they were not compulsary until after then

and as for notifying the insurers it debateable, but end of the day the engine still a 1200 so I wouldn't bother, any bigger engine and its a must :thumb:

This is what I wanted to hear :) , I've got a few bits here that I could fit to the 1200 aswell so alls good.

Cheers for all the opinions people.

Jack
03-02-09, 10:36 AM
i dont even think they do any of that do they ?
whatever engines in the car is what they run the test against ?
Whichever is oldest, car or engine. Considering they still made carb'd engines on K reg you should be fine on emissions tbh. There is no requirement for any car to physically have a catalytic converter, but most do need it to get the emissions down. I doubt very much a 1.2 carb nova will be chucking out enough gunk to fail the cat test, unless its running like a dog.

slothsport - cheers for the input. Its just, I was under the impression the car is just classed as a 1200 (no note of injection or carb), and so as long as its a 1200 engine then insurance are happy?
Unfortunately, no. The 1.2 carb is ~10bhp up on the 1.2 SPi for a start, and any engine swap should be declared to insurance - that includes like for like engines.

I wouldn't have thought they'd charge you much, if anything, extra for it though. But with insurance its always wise to cover your back and make sure the insurance company are aware of any changes (write them a letter detailling the change - even if they say it makes no difference at least you've got a written record of that).

Leeboo
03-02-09, 11:51 AM
Cheers for that too razorjack. I just didn't realise that they know it was an SPi originally. Theres no way I would be getting an engineers report etc for fitting a 1200 carb, but I'll see how I go. Thanks.