PDA

View Full Version : alternator clearence for XE?

L33 LEG
02-02-09, 04:02 PM
i know that the proper way is to make a cut out for the alternator, but seen as im not a welder what else can i do? i hear alot of people just say bash it a bit to make it clear, but iv never actually seen any examples of this.

is it because its a very pikey thing to do? or have people on here done it but never wanted to show pics of it due to embarrasment Lol?

i am aware that this is a bodge way of doing things :roll:

Jack
02-02-09, 04:06 PM
Just smack it with a hammer :D

You may not need to go very far at all. I have a feeling Dar's nova didn't need bending for clearance

L33 LEG
02-02-09, 04:07 PM
does anybody have any pics of an example? with and without the engine in

i may get the hammer out tonight lol

jayme taylor
02-02-09, 04:13 PM
if your no good at welding , heat it up first until its glowing red , then hit it with a hammer !

16v Nova Kev
02-02-09, 04:14 PM
look at olis track day nova thread he took pics of his

L33 LEG
02-02-09, 04:17 PM
il have a look now, cheers

mayhem
02-02-09, 04:21 PM
www.corsa-novatuning.nl (http://www.corsa-novatuning.nl) good pics of the hammer methode :P

L33 LEG
02-02-09, 04:30 PM
thanks mayhem. il have a go later and let you know how i got on lol

L33 LEG
17-02-09, 03:45 PM
i still havnt done this but will be doing it within the next few days. but iv got another problem lol

i need to get the pulley off to get it cut down to size so it fits into the bay, however the bolts wont undo. theyre all going to round. whats the best way to get around this problem, would it be easier to drill the bolts out and get it sorted or could i be a pikey again and 'bash' the shell down there aswell to make clearence? dont think iv seen anyone do this before, is it a stupid idea or would it work? surely bashing it away wont weaken the shell will it?

if you think this will be an ok thing to do, anyone got a decent pic to show where i need to hit it Lol?

ps. if this is a totally wrong thing to do, just say so and then il try and get those bolts drilled out.

Lee
17-02-09, 03:46 PM
Drill the bolts off you pikey lol

L33 LEG
17-02-09, 03:48 PM
lol i can see it being an awful lot of hassle

Lee
17-02-09, 03:49 PM
Its not too bad tbh, just make sure you have a nice big sharp drill bit. Something like a 14mm. Once the heads are off the threads will just undo by hand :)

L33 LEG
17-02-09, 03:54 PM
il give it a try in the morning. hopefully itl be straight forward as im wanting it in the bay within the end of the week.

i can see there being lots of littles problems like this but oh well lol :(

mayhem
17-02-09, 03:57 PM
^^ what she sad.
you can get other bolts from vauxhall, i have no idea how you guys call them in the UK, the are torx, but insideout

John
17-02-09, 04:02 PM
^^ what she sad.
you can get other bolts from vauxhall, i have no idea how you guys call them in the UK, the are torx, but insideout

Internal Torx.:)

Sloth
17-02-09, 04:03 PM
female torx mayhem... i've cut a section from the bottom of the leg before, but only because the guy wanted pas so his missus could use it. but theres no reason a big hammer down there wont work either, it only hits a small bit tbh. give it a try dude.

mayhem
17-02-09, 04:07 PM
lol great english eey.. same head as arp2000 rodbolts, just smaller (duh..)

i have the part number somewhere, i just cant find it.

L33 LEG
17-02-09, 04:20 PM
female torx mayhem... i've cut a section from the bottom of the leg before, but only because the guy wanted pas so his missus could use it. but theres no reason a big hammer down there wont work either, it only hits a small bit tbh. give it a try dude.

il try and undo the bolts and if they all need drilling out il have a quick look at how much needs to go. if it is only a small bit to clear i may give it a hit Lol. its not as if im ever going to sell this car so it doesnt need to be tidy lol

Lee
17-02-09, 07:54 PM
^^ what she sad.

ive just checked, and yes, i have a penis lol

16xe_chris
17-02-09, 07:58 PM

lol lol +1 rep

mayhem
17-02-09, 09:21 PM

you are 100% sure? its not just a huge clitorus?lol

Benn
17-02-09, 09:35 PM
Grind them off,
I can sell a bag of allen head bolts that are a plated finish so they shouldnt rust at £6.

Mine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/dec08morebaystuff11.jpg

griffin mad
18-02-09, 02:04 AM
if you hit the rim of the alternator belt pulley section of the bottom pulley (assuming its the v belt version) as yo go round it will crack as its cast crap n it'll come off like a big washer or bits at least leaving you with a pulley that clears the chassis rail , worked for me n i never once hit my girl lol

L33 LEG
19-02-09, 12:44 AM
its all sorted now :) the bolts came off after hitting them with a chisel and we bashed for the alternator clearence, only took a minute and theres loads of room. so glad i didnt go through the hassle of cutting and welding a box for it!

cheers anyway guys

Riggy
19-02-09, 10:54 AM
mine still touches under hard corners

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/general%20pics/Image335.jpg

goin to fit solid mounts to stop it though