PDA

View Full Version : Home made respray!!!!

Anonymous
15-11-00, 10:26 AM
If I were to spray black primer over my red paint, and then gloss black, and then a few more coats of it, would it be alright? I've done my boot already, and that seems to be ok, only I dont have the funds to have it profesionaly done, only in my garage. Has anyone else sprayed their own car b4? The car is dull red anyway, so it needs some sort of help.
If not, would a brighter red be more suitable, or the metallic stuff from Halfords?
Please let me know if you have any info or ideas, thanks.
Cris.

Anonymous
15-11-00, 11:00 AM
I sprayed all the silver onto my car - its only on the bumpers and that so its not that noticable if u fuk up. I wouldnt do anything major cos runs and uneven spray are hard to avoid. If u r going to do it, make sure u rub it right down and prime it first.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous
15-11-00, 11:03 AM
my mate spayed his own boot on his AX GT and made a right shit job on it, dont do it.

Anonymous
15-11-00, 11:32 AM
I probably wouldn't bother attempting it yourself, when they spray large areas such as bonnets, roofs wings, doors they don't spray from a can they use a speacial machine which sprays alot more paint at once than a can does, also spraycans dont give an even amount of paint, its intermittent. As Ian said, any runs or overspray can be hidden on a bumper or spoiler but on your main panells it will look shit. If the paints dull buy some colour T-Cut in red and give it a fucking good polish, use a buffing machine if u can get hold of 1, it should bring the colour up nicely.

Anonymous
15-11-00, 11:47 AM
I've decided just to spray red over red, the same colour, so it should be alright like that I'm thinking. It wont run if I spray it even will it?!
Oh well, I only drive the car at night, cos I'm at work all day!

Anonymous
15-11-00, 12:47 PM
Na, get some paint restorer & a buffer, If you fuck it up your car will look well shite. It is a job 4 the pro's. There is so much shit you have to do. I got my car sprayed about 5 weeks ago but did all the prep myself. You have to rub the car down till there isn't a scratch on the bloody thing, fill any dents, prime it rubb that down, paint it and lacker it. When a car has been painted it then has to be buffed with some special body shop stuff to make the paint shine. My car was off the road for about a month an a half.

It is up to you at the end of the day mate.

Anonymous
15-11-00, 03:39 PM
damien is right just polish the dull red with t-cut it will come up like new, you will not get a good finish with aerosols. If you must paint it yourself get a compressor and a proper spray gun. cheers paul

Anonymous
15-11-00, 06:39 PM
dont do it m8y.
the boys are 100% correct
Get some T-Cut red and a buffing machine.
if u cant get hold of one, send thecar to a valeting place or a bodyshop and ask them to freshen the bodywork with a damn good buffing
ull be surprised m8.
if its a flame red car, they fade , but a good buff, t-cut etc gets em up like new. a potch job will look good for about a week then it will fade.
if the car still looks shit, im sure it wont, then get thinking about spraying m8y

hope this helps you on your quest,

elg

Anonymous
15-11-00, 07:05 PM
well what can i say. if u can paint then its possible to do a whole car with cans but its easyier to spray a full car with a compressor. i have just done my girlfriends car with tins (it took 20/25 400ml tins) i got them for ?30 trade and i took the car down to a shell and did the door shuts etc with the doors off. it takes loads ov effort to paint large pannels with tins but it is possible if u do the prep. if u can paint and have painted before than i sugesst u go to a libray and read up un techniques etc before even buying thwe piant. if u havent painted before then its best to pay sumbody to do it 4 you. no point learning to paint on your motor coz ull make it look soo shit. a lot ov peeps knock areosolls but with the right techniques and prep the job can look just as good as a pro job (although the finnish wont last as long as a 2 pack finnish from a reputable body shop)

hey my tailgate/bonnetvent/mirrors/front bumper/rear spoiler/skirts are all painted with tins and nobody has ever noticed.