PDA

View Full Version : bios and SATA drivers?

Ash
01-02-09, 09:44 PM
Anyone gen'd up on installing SATA HDD's? My BIOS can't find my new one. I'm using something called 'Promise Controller' :confused:

Dar
01-02-09, 09:51 PM
I'm currently battling with the most pig awkward machine in the world to get working. So your not alone.

Welsh Dan
01-02-09, 10:54 PM
The promise controller won't be bios controlled which is why it won't see it. Just keep the promise controller enabled, when the machine boots past the bios you'll see the promise bios kick in and detect the drive.

If you have no floppy drive you need to slipstream the drivers for the promise controller into your xp disc to be able to install onto the drive... http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

Jack
01-02-09, 10:58 PM
I just downloaded some SATA drivers, put them on a floooopy, then shoved them in when installing XP. There's an option to press F-something to install third party SATA drivers when its going thru its blurb

Works fine for me. The RAID array keeps degrading though :mad:

Nova_Sean
01-02-09, 10:59 PM
Have you set it to boot in your bios aswell?

Welsh Dan
01-02-09, 11:03 PM
I just downloaded some SATA drivers, put them on a floooopy, then shoved them in when installing XP. There's an option to press F-something to install third party SATA drivers when its going thru its blurb

Works fine for me. The RAID array keeps degrading though :mad:

F6, if you have a floppy :p.

Jack
01-02-09, 11:04 PM
Nerd lol

Welsh Dan
01-02-09, 11:08 PM
eff off its my day job lol

Nova_Sean
02-02-09, 04:11 PM
Did you find a fix in the end mate?

Ash
02-02-09, 10:00 PM
nope. Just nabbed Dad's laptop.

Cheers for the replies. Firstly I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate* on to a brand new Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD. I've got the correct drivers for it on usb and install them when promoted, but it still shows 'no drives' royal pain in the ass.

Also I think I my need to 'flash' my BIOS as the motherboard is quite old (Asus A8V Deluxe)

... only just found out theres a differance between SATA and RAID lol

*I know! SORRY!

Stuart
02-02-09, 10:18 PM
its likely that the SATA is on the RAID driver. Lots of MOBO's did that.

deffo update the bios