PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 ecotec into nova

jimbob-mcgrew
01-02-09, 04:08 PM
m8 of mine has one of these from an sri vectra, runs prety decent.
from the looks of it, the PAS pump has got to come off for it to fit the nova.
i hear theres a problem on the gearbox front getting them in ? this true ?
cant remember what he said exactly, but it might have been the ecotec had an F28 which was a pain to fit apprently, whats the best alternative gearbox to use that will fit straight on and not cause installation probs, F20 ?

im hoping with the PAS pump gone, it should be running about 140 horse.
anyone else that's fitted one of these before that has anything else to add, be helpfull cheers :thumb:

AlexW
01-02-09, 05:22 PM
The pas pump will have to come off yes, so will the aircon pump if it has one.

Gearbox is problery already a F20 i would have thought? But yes if its F28 one of the mounts needs to be changed.

Clean2.0nova (or what ever his username is) had one fitted to his nova. The engine code should be X20XEL btw. Your problery have to get the key and transponder out of the donor car.

Steve
01-02-09, 06:04 PM
f16 or f20 would be best for it, I thought those engines came with the crap f18s? could be wrong.

Benn
01-02-09, 06:07 PM
They did, iirc its the diff bearings that go.

Change it before the engines fitted.

Sloth
01-02-09, 06:12 PM
some late ones have the f23 on em. they can be the x20xer, if so buy it as the do kick out 140bhp. excellent engine, fits the same as a c20xe, just has the immobiliser to play with...

jimbob-mcgrew
01-02-09, 06:35 PM
cheers guys, so were probably looking at an F20 for it right ?
once thats changed, will it need a new clutch and release bearing to go with it ?
fairly sure he's got the key & immobiliser with it.

one more thing i forgot..
will it fit in ok with the standard inlet/throttle body housing or will the firewall need some modification ?

edit : scrap that question on the clutch, its burnt out and will need changing anyway.. doh!

Nobby
01-02-09, 06:58 PM
^^^ if i remember correctly rhe ecotec uses a tophat similar to a power cap so no modification needs doing??

jimbob-mcgrew
01-02-09, 08:30 PM
ahh right. nice.
hopefully that should do for now, will come back if i get stuck on anything else.
cheers all.

Sloth
01-02-09, 08:37 PM
if ya get stuck, pm me...

nova_saloon
01-02-09, 08:53 PM
ive seen a few of theese done its a good comprimise to the xe engine although less powerful, more econimical as you know but there cheaper aswell and dont go porus.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-02-09, 01:04 AM
its going into a m8s 1400 SR, should be fairly decent one its all welded up and in there. just out of curiosity, are the ecotecs any lighter than the xe's ? i'd imagine there prety similar in weight, but just wondering as i reccomended something smaller to him to keep the handling characeristics classic.

Steve
02-02-09, 05:04 PM
Pretty much the same weight I'd have though, and regarding the handling issues.. thats normally down to cheapo/ old springs on a 2.0 just get bilstein or some decent coilvers :thumb: