PDA

View Full Version : Lights on lights off

dErZ1
18-12-02, 01:20 PM
Bastard lights, I have a j reg 1.4sr and when you try and turn the main lights on they just turn off again, parking lights are fine but when you turn the nob right it stays there but the lights come on for a second and then turn off!

Any ideas???

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 03:19 PM
dim dip relay?

Manta Mad
18-12-02, 05:31 PM
Yes, sounds like the usual dim dip problems. Do you know if Novas of this age were all still fitted with the dim dip system? Reason I ask is that my own J reg Nova doesn't have this feature and I thought it had been done away with - but could be that a previous owner has removed the relay.

brian
18-12-02, 11:13 PM
i reckon its a dodgey switch becauce i have come across loads of them in novas. if you keep the switch pushed over the right will they stay on?
often i was driving along at night and the lights just turned to parks, then i'd touch the switch and they were back on until i'd hit a bump. i changed it for one from a mk 2 Astra (same connection).

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 11:23 PM
is that a mk1 or a mk2 brian m8?

ollster
18-12-02, 11:36 PM
j reg = mrk 2, and yes it will be the actual light switch its a common fault on the later models. If you turn the lights on and hold the switch all the way over they should stay on, best bet is to get a mk1 switches internals and put it into your mrk 2 switch carrier case