PDA

View Full Version : help needed: how to strip paint of plastic

brainsnova
31-01-09, 08:27 PM
ok so i sprayed my vespa toolbox and when i laquered it the paint ran in a few places. so i rubbed down the runs and primed it but it kept showing through after i feather edged it so i tried filler primer and it cracked round the feathered bits. anyway i want to strip it back to bare plastic so whats the quickest way rather than using sand paper.:thumb:

BIGS
31-01-09, 08:31 PM
i havent got a clue lynz will tho lol

Lynsey
31-01-09, 08:32 PM
Nitro-mors lol

Well, it worked on my new jeans anyway :p

Lynsey
31-01-09, 08:33 PM
LMAO, too slow.

Dude, be a gentleman, ladies come first lol

BIGS
31-01-09, 08:34 PM
;)

Lynsey
31-01-09, 08:36 PM
lol + rep

brainsnova
31-01-09, 08:37 PM
is it special plastic stuff as last time i used it on a bumper it softened the plastic.

Lynsey
31-01-09, 08:41 PM
My boyfriend used it on a snowplough that someone had painted white. It worked and didn't ruin the plastic there. What exactly are you trying to get paint off? Nitro-mors is pretty hardcore lol

brainsnova
31-01-09, 08:43 PM
its the toolbox of my vespa and theres plenty tight corners and i want to keep my finger prints.

BIGS
31-01-09, 08:43 PM
Well as Lynz said Nitro-mors will not soffen plastic it acts as a acid on the paint only so the plastic stays fine. But for the love of god if you use it cover your hands. i used it and it burned like hell :mad:

Oh and thanks Lynz :)

CoolTiger
31-01-09, 09:56 PM
thinners ;) let it bubble and then scrap it off and wipe the excess off with wet rag (damp with water) as for the runs you could of just rubbed them off with 1000 grit and polished it and it would of come up just as good as rest unless they were monster runs lol :)

or damp some scotch brite in thinners and rub it off that way take a moment for the thinners to kick in but then it should start coming off easy :)

brainsnova
01-02-09, 02:33 AM
i tried to sand the runs out but i reached the bare plastic and run blob was stick in the middle. it was perfect but the second laquer coat must of been too thick :cry:

Sloth
01-02-09, 02:36 AM
jesus 3 posts and it went rude... as said nitro-mors, or meths, either way mate it'll come off. id dishwasher it afterwards aswell!

Mike
01-02-09, 09:08 AM
Personally id use thinners too chap.

Nitromoors can melt the plastic if you dont wipe it off pretty sharp ish. Ignore the comments of using gloves though , i never have and its not done me any harm & im a decorator lol

brainsnova
01-02-09, 01:57 PM
thinners it is then :thumb: cheers