PDA

View Full Version : Saab Engine Help

Plug
31-01-09, 08:26 PM
Right i've been offered a 94 Saab 9000, 2.0T. only asking as this has been offered running and complete car cheaper than i can get an xe.

Just wandering cause im not a very mechanicaly minded person if this will fit?

Or does anyone know what work will be involved at all?
Im guessing the engine mounts will have to be cut off and re-welded or some heavy duty brackets made up.

would i have to mate the engine to a vaux gearbox or use the saab one?
Its rear wheel drive thou

any info or a point in the right direction will be appricated.

Regards Jimbo

Plug
31-01-09, 08:44 PM
i know no one has done this properly yet but just asking if it will be worth while

Stuart
31-01-09, 08:46 PM
offer to nosh sloth off, he at the very least pretends to know what hes on about... it might even be true for all anyone cares

Plug
31-01-09, 08:49 PM
right i'll wait and see when he comes on and ask some questions.

Might get the car and have a look what work will be involved if its to much break the saab to fund the nova

philip
01-02-09, 07:54 AM
check out deeks thread on migweb or vauxsport of his mk3 astra van, thats got the 2.3, sure its a very tight fit and the engine sits higher than an XE, but you'll have to read it!

may struggle with fitting it in a nova or corsa bay tbh!

Mike
01-02-09, 09:12 AM
The saab engines, well some, so v-v-v-v similiar to GM motors, so I'd guess it'll fit.

TBH i dont know why people buy LET's when you can get a SAAB turbo motor for about £200 lol lol

philip
01-02-09, 10:40 AM
there taller so it would be harder to fit.

but as you've mentioned price i got offered a 2.0t for £80 complete car with no rocker cover and no turbo, get near 400bhp on stock internals:cool: but lost bank card and mates mate wanted car going saturday, so gona wait for a 2.3:D

i think the 94-98 motors are ones to go for, especially the 2.3t's as they bolt to the vaux boxes.

im going either 2.3 saab or evo motor in my corsa next year, but i havent got the problem of space anymorelol

Stuart
01-02-09, 11:02 AM
or use a more "recent" 9-3 engine which is a deriviative of the family that the 2.2 Chain driven engine that is used in the vx/veccy/astra/zaf etc.

Plug
01-02-09, 11:17 AM
right im goin to get some more information on the car today but i think the engine code is B204L,

ill have a look on migweb at the build there

thegingerwhinger
01-02-09, 11:26 AM
they do fit, ive got one in my corsa b van, it uses the same mount as a a v6 block, the 3 bolt jobbie on the drivers side, the rest is same as an xe. i can send you some pics etc

Plug
01-02-09, 12:23 PM
Yes please pics will be greatly appricated ive been told that a post 94 engine bolts straight to a f20. just need a different clutch or something.

Just gathering information on MIGweb.

Im thinking if its as easy as most people are making out i might actually go for it as i will be getting the complete car cheaper than a ton,

Jimbo

philip
01-02-09, 12:29 PM
not sure it can use a f28! not too sure though.

if can post pics of the lump in the corsa, that would be kool:thumb:

Plug
01-02-09, 01:11 PM
the splines on a f28 are apparently different i would be looking at using a f20 if i could handle the torque and power,

As said some pics of the corsa b would help alot.

reading through MIGweb and most are saying that its the same as fitting a v6 but i've been told the engine is taller.

Mikey_J
01-02-09, 08:17 PM
would i have to mate the engine to a vaux gearbox or use the saab one?
Its rear wheel drive thou

There has never been a rear wheel drive Saab made apart from the new turbo x's which are 4 wheel drive

Jack
01-02-09, 09:34 PM
right im goin to get some more information on the car today but i think the engine code is B204L,

ill have a look on migweb at the build there
B204L is the middle of the road turbo engine, 185bhp, so more powerful than an XE, but will have some turbo lag and won't be as good as a LET - mind you, considerably cheaper...

Shouldn't be too hard to fit, use an F20 so the gearbox side mount is the same, you might need to fabricate a drivers mount if its the same as the B308.

Dod
01-02-09, 09:43 PM
Sloth is your man for Saab info. He's creating a Sabalier at the minute and knows what he's talking about. Give him a PM.

Plug
01-02-09, 10:08 PM
whats engine is the b308 Rj?
if its the v6 thats a Gm engine anyway.

it may not be as quick as the let but it can back big bhp without changing internals ive been told.

its just i been offered a full working car for under 100 and all i will need to get is a xe fitting kit and f20 i think.

Jimbo

philip
02-02-09, 08:01 AM
go for the B234/235;)

Sloth
02-02-09, 09:59 AM
right, as me and jim discussed last night, you need the 900 engine, not the 9000 engine, as the overall length is shorter, so you have more room to play with. this means, unless you swap the timing case and sump etc, then the 2.3 turbo lumps are a no-go. the water pump also needs changing.the wiring is easy, i have the guide here, and the rest is as easy as a let. im in the middle of fitting a b234r to my cavalier mk1, so i'll update as and when..

Mikey_J
02-02-09, 07:48 PM
Standard internals are good for 300 bhp i would say. There strong old lumps. I luckily get to work on alot of abbott racing stuff....they pull like a train and do take abuse

Plug
02-02-09, 08:30 PM
will have more information at the weekend about what engine i actually have and if its actually worth the time and effort.