PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!!!!!

CP
17-12-02, 10:27 PM
Right, I had a battery blow up in my face today. :crazyeye:

I'm OK but I thought I'd post up a bit of a warning about how easily it can happen.

I made 2 mistakes. The first was to make an assumption that someone elses kit would be safe and second i used the wrong procedure to unclip the jumper leads.

Basically I had to borrow someone else's telehandler. It's not been starting properly so they said and needed jumping to get going although there was life in the battery. I took out their double lorry battery jump start kit and connected it up as per normal ( positive to positive etc).
Started it all up OK but the frigging thing was missing and need a bit of revving to keep it going.
Anyway got it running and went round to disconnect the jump leads. As I removed one of the clips from the negative pole on the battery on the machine it blew up. It was situated in a purpose made container in a well in the bodywork with a lid on it. It blew the clip out of my hand and smashed my hand against the side of the container. Bits of debris cut my hand and face. Fortunately the battery was virtually empty of electrolite so i was lucky and didn't get covered in battery acid which would have been very nasty.

What had happened is that because the battery was iffy and was badly low on electrolite it was gassing quite severely due to being charged heavily by the alternator. A slight spark as I disconnected was all it needed to ignite the gases. It was in an enclosed space which held the accumulating gases. I did hear hissing but i thought it was the air system on a lorry that had just been parked next to it.

Therefore always do 2 things when jump starting:

1. Check the electrolite level - if its low it may gas badly. It made do anyway even if the level is OK so always assume that an iffy battery will gas.
2. If its sitting in an enclosed space connect it up first and disconnect it last
to minimise sparking risks in that area that is poorly ventilated.

I was also guilty of being complacent about something I do regularly.
You've been warned!

Matt Finary
17-12-02, 10:34 PM
Glad you are ok CP, you were quite luck.

Matt :)

dan16v
17-12-02, 11:03 PM
doh unlucky cp glad your ok! another thing, you may think you look silly but wearing some form of eye protection when doing any thing like this or ie using chisels or any potentialy dangerous substance/tool will help you no end!. i work in the mod ship building industry where a large majority of injuries are to the eye due to loss of concentration or small particals, remember you only have 1 set of eyes look after them! :D

locky
17-12-02, 11:08 PM
At least ur ok cp, thats the main thing!

mikeoxford
17-12-02, 11:14 PM
eek :| glad ur ok mate!

another thing i have done - is remove the positive lead first, and let it touch the body of the car, which effectively create a loop and made sparks and shit, set fire to a little pool of petrol that was on the floor

this was on my old car!

the lead welded itself to the body because it was arching so badly.

Nova1.6
18-12-02, 12:20 AM
glad your ok CP.

This is a really stupid question but when adding a wire to the negative or possative if you touch the terminals on the battery with a spanner or something metal can it give u a shock?

Ian
18-12-02, 01:27 AM
Doh at least your ok

sheepdip no you will be fine but dont short them, ie let the spanner touch both terminals same time.

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 11:35 AM
you wont get a shock off 12v neil.

well you can yes thats a lie

its not the voltage that shocks its the current

if you touch the battery terminals etc like you say, u may get a slight tinge - like putting a 9v battery on your tongue or similar.

on a car for instance, spark the battery or whatever, ok its not gud but it wont hurt hurt. where as if you pull of a HT lead or similar, where the coil stores up volts to produce a big charge, then you will know about it.

wisewood
18-12-02, 01:54 PM
that's it - i am never opening the bonnet of my car ever again - it's just too dangerous in there. Sod it... let the thing die... i don't care!!!

Glad to hear you are ok CP... no butch and hard acid burn scars or anything then?

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 03:11 PM
we could be on to a money spinner here guys

a battery less, petrol less, car!

wisewood
18-12-02, 04:20 PM
it's already been invented mate - it's called a skateboard.

Breeny
18-12-02, 05:47 PM
ekkk glad your ok C..

Its not just battery, i think HT leads also have a lot of current flowing through them (when the engine is on/turning over anyway :lol:)

Be careful when ya working on cars, brings back memories of when i nearly had my fingers off with an angle grinder last year!

Jim
18-12-02, 07:30 PM
:o

Glad your ok CP. It hasn't put you off has it? ;)

Jim

CP
18-12-02, 10:19 PM
Thanks for your comments :D

I've had a bit of a 'mare this last 2 weeks.
The week before I was in casualty for 7 stitches in my knee when I err had a slight coming together with a 9" heavy duty angle grinder! :oops:

tsk old people - bleeding liability! :roll:

Just wondering what the third thing is going to be :o
I might twat myself with a hammer and get it over & done with lol!

Stuart
19-12-02, 10:25 PM
HT leads carry micro amps or less.

voltage provides the shock, but the current is the killer (50milliAmps is the most current you can take directly accross your heart)

go back to magnetos ;) lol

good to hear your ok CP, get the kids to do it next time so that they know what not to do too lol or better yet get a poxy student labourer in since they wont complain :D