PDA

View Full Version : SPi to carb

blaiz
17-12-02, 08:42 PM
iv got 1.4spi.
iv asked in previous topic wot best 2 get more power+sum1 suggested changin 2 either mpi or 2 carb

if i changed 2 carb they sed:
"remove the entire inlet manifold and throttle body and replace it with the same part from a 1.4 carbed engine (ie manifold and carb) and shouldnt have to do much else bar add a pressure regulator and possibly replace the dizzy with the carb version"

wud it realy b as simple and easy as this, or are there other factors 2 consider??
also, wud i b able 2 get an induction kit suitable 4 this??

please help me all u experts!!!

much apreciated
chris

Manta Mad
17-12-02, 11:15 PM
I am no expert on this but from reading previous posts, I am sure someone said that an SPi head has a different internal casting to the 1.4 carb head and doesn't produce as much power - but will leave it to the experts to confirm or otherwise.

mikeoxford
17-12-02, 11:52 PM
im not quite sure about the difference in internals

but as you said, yes it is as easy as that to unbolt everything, but a new system on (e.g carb or MPi) and away you go

obviously a bit of tweaking maybe???

mikeoxford
17-12-02, 11:53 PM
also if you fit carbs, u will obviously need a pressure regulator for definite as injection works on pumped pressurised fuel, carb draws it through a pump and nothing else

MC
18-12-02, 07:56 AM
If you go to MPi, you'll need to change the head.

blaiz
18-12-02, 02:22 PM
ok, i that case wud it b better js 2 get a 1.4 head aswel?? iv herd that these have the best flow characteristics out ov all the 1.4 heads

also, induction kit?? or wud that js b 4 injected models??

how wud i go about fittin a pressure regulator? has ne1 done ne thin like this b4+got any tips??

wot wud b the best carb(s) 2 opt 4??

cheerz 4 da help so far

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 03:14 PM
1.2 is best head for performance - they have slightly higher compression and usually big ports too i think.

induction kits are for injection models

however you can kit bolt on kits for carbs such as k&n ram air and the like, same prinicple just for different type of car (i.e inj or carb)

pressure reg. fits in the fuel line after or before the pump i cant remember, just cut the pipe, feed a cut end into either side, and turn the dial to required setting.

ill find a pic for you.

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 03:15 PM
1.2 is best head for performance - they have slightly higher compression and usually big ports too i think.

induction kits are for injection models

however you can kit bolt on kits for carbs such as k&n ram air and the like, same prinicple just for different type of car (i.e inj or carb)

pressure reg. fits in the fuel line after or before the pump i cant remember, just cut the pipe, feed a cut end into either side, and turn the dial to required setting.

ill find a pic for you.

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 03:16 PM
http://www.chriswardy.btinternet.co.uk/Images/Dscf0149.jpg

look above breenys oil filler on his engine, just to the right of the petrol pump[/img]

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 03:16 PM
as for carbs, if your going for all out performance, cost not bothered about, go for twin 40s webers, secondly a weber 32/34, then onto a normal carb. depending on cost

blaiz
19-12-02, 05:23 PM
cheerz, that helps!

anuva q, r 1.4sr heads difrent 2 my SPi head?? and will an inlet manifold thats bin ported and flowed from a SR mate up properly wiv my head??

cheerz agen

ade
22-12-02, 12:28 AM
you want to speak to aragorn - hes contemplating a similar mod but hes stuck on the ignition wiring.

Seems to be pretty clued up on it all though.

I've been trying to get some info from a m8 of mine to help him but aint had much joy.

(sorry m8!)

Ade
:(

Aragorn
22-12-02, 02:32 AM
heh

i'll add a post tomorrow with some content - just in from big stylee food shop at ASDA :o and im f00ked

just lettin u knonw im here and watching :)

Aragorn
28-12-02, 07:44 PM
ok ive had a look and the ignition wiring looks like a piece of piss

if u can follow the haynes wiring diagrams and improvise a little you'll be fine

i'd suggest getting a 1.4SR cam, cam box and dizzy

u can either switch over to carb fuel pump and tank or get a pressure regulator for your current electric pump and wire that into the ignition circuit so it only runs when the ignition is on

the carb and inlet will go streight on the 1400 head and that hsould just about do it

disconnect and tie up the old wires from the ECU and disconnect the ECU LED unless u want it sitting on permenantly :)