PDA

View Full Version : ? Mile times - whats the fastest Nova in the uk?

beef@novadose.net
17-12-02, 03:25 PM
Whats the quickest Nova you've seen on the ? mile strip? I wanna see who we're up against in 2003 :)

There was a few 13s at the Pod at PV2002, but are there any 12s in the UK?

Fastest I've seen is Stefan Glassen EDS GSi running a 12.8

beef@novadose.net
17-12-02, 09:23 PM
Come on! Someone must have done a 1/4 mile on here!

CP
17-12-02, 09:58 PM
Date :14/09/01
Venue : Pod
Event : Novaload Shootout.

Results:
1. Jon Shield 2.0l 16v tb's 13.648 102.97mph
2. Darren Ludlam 2.0l 16v Twin 45's 13.729 100.47mph
3. Alex Haines 2.0l 16v Turbo 13.819 104.00mph

other class leaders:

1600cc : Declan Burke 1.6 16v tb's 14.78 94.69mph

1300/1400: Toby Crisp 1.3 16.94 79.6mph

1200 Michael Gent 19.826 67.22mph

Source: Ian Storey.

Sorry I dont have the figures of PV2002 but I expect someone will refresh your memory for you if you need?

Hope this helps a bit :)

Ian
17-12-02, 10:00 PM
some european ones do mid 12s and i know of one doing 13.0 from birmingham

how is your mates gonna be the quickest? i can name 3 that will challenge it next year

dan16v
17-12-02, 10:56 PM
i cant wait till nxt year as ive never run a car up pod! ian are we gunna have any thing like a novaload shoot out day? would be good fun! +pod is not to far away from me bout hour and a half i think :D hopefuly with my tbs and gbox mods i could maybe run mid 14's? or abit lower? :?:

mikeoxford
17-12-02, 11:33 PM
id definitely be up for a novaload pod day - would be cool to get all the novas togetehr on the tarmac, and get a load of photos and have a big meet

mikeoxford
17-12-02, 11:33 PM
also if we get deposits of people id guess it avoids drop outs and people who say they will come but never do etc etc

mikeoxford
17-12-02, 11:34 PM
lol sorry to abuse with three posts

but failaing that ANY novaload meet id be up for :D

well enjoy them

think we should all wear name badges next time tho as sometimes its hard to meet and greet people you cant put names to faces

glad i spoke to locky and a fe wothers last time round

Phil_G
18-12-02, 12:00 AM
hi,

im up for a baslt on the strip too....

me an my lil 1200

:)

phil

Nova1.6
18-12-02, 12:08 AM
If another 1.2i was going up the strip i'd do it, but there's no way im going next to a 2.0 16v!!!!

Anyone else recon they'd go in there 1.2i? HOw about u alex or locky?

Matt Finary
18-12-02, 12:16 AM
I would be up for going up the strip, once the Flying Machine is done :roll: as long as it doesn't take off :twisted:

Matt :D

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 12:21 AM
i know yeah, for one run i would like to go up witha nova of the same class.

i guess a run with a 2ltr or a turbs would be cool as you can compare what your car is like to theirs, but definitely, runs in your own class for one run at least

SO

who shal we nomintae in all our wisdom to organise such an event!?

Nova1.6
18-12-02, 12:25 AM
Yeah, if one is organised, this is us lot counting on someone off here( ie, an admin member) to get it sorted!
How about having 'class' runs aswell?

beef@novadose.net
18-12-02, 02:52 AM
how is your mates gonna be the quickest? i can name 3 that will challenge it next year

What spec are the 3 then? I love it when Novas beat Scoobies and other ?20k+ cars.

jkhilton
18-12-02, 10:22 AM
your car isn't red is it? I went to the Peugeot Sport show last summer at Long Marston Airfield (I think htat was the name) and there was a red nova sr that beat an Impreza up the track there, even though the impreza had a quicker reaction time, the nova still was in the lead by half way down the track!!

wisewood
18-12-02, 10:56 AM
If another 1.2i was going up the strip i'd do it, but there's no way im going next to a 2.0 16v!!!!

lmfao - why not - nobody would expect you to win !!! and it gives you something to chase which should spur you on a bit to nice quick, smooth gear changes as your try in vain to catch the valver which is sat on the finish line :D

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 11:06 AM
lol i think id stall on my first attempt!!

gonna have to try a few takeoffs down our local back road!!!

having said that, usually do ok away from the lights :twisted:

Ian
18-12-02, 11:53 AM
cant tell you the other cars but expect 12 sec quarters..and then theres the twin engine one being built.....

wisewood
18-12-02, 11:59 AM
i always wanted a twin engine, or rear wheel drive nova... just so i could take off like a lunatic and be dead after the first corner... what a way to go :D

it's the sort of thing legends are made of that is...

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 12:00 PM
bring on the NL POD Day!

so who we nominatng - someone close to the event me feels :lol:

Rick Draper
18-12-02, 12:13 PM
Nar a Novaload York day would be far better, 4 of the moderators live up this way and i recon you southern canys shud have to pick your shandy drinking asses up and drag them up north for a change :lol: . Rick

beef@novadose.net
18-12-02, 05:27 PM
Yeah its the Red Nova, not mine. Always racing a Black Scooby Catalunya.

locky
18-12-02, 05:33 PM
I'd b up 4 takin the 1.2 up the strip
yo beef, i c ur from swansea, may have seen ur car about!

beef@novadose.net
18-12-02, 05:48 PM
Yo locky... I run SW-CC.com (previously South Wales Novas) so I'm usually up Cardiff if theres a cruise/rr day/0-60 day going down.

locky
18-12-02, 06:54 PM
Cool! Im bout 2 get a membership! that was easy advertising for u! :wink:

Jim
18-12-02, 07:25 PM
Next year should be intresting to see what people have been doing over the winter.

I wouldn't mind taking mine up the strip.

Ian? Is the twin engined Nova one that you're building by any chance?

Jim

P.S. I'm not excpecting an answer from you Ian, but no harm asking :)

wisewood
18-12-02, 07:38 PM
i recall hearing whispers of that while at MK... can't remember who was saying it though.

CP
18-12-02, 11:07 PM
Lol @ the "subtle hints" in my direction. :lol:
Basically a quarter mile day doesn't really need that much organising. There's no way we could afford to hire any drag strip for ourselves so we always have to go along to a RWYB day which run like every other Sunday throughout the season ( early spring to late autumn). You turn up on the day, show your license, pay your money and away you go. Chip has already suggested a shootout against some Pugs so we could do it then?

I think Ricks idea of going up to York is excellent. We could have a bit of a team challenge ( north versus south) with the southern leg at Pod and the northern one at York? Could be a laff. I'm sure someone good at maths could come up with some clever method of creating a weighted scoring system so that all cars could be raced and scored to give a fair reflection of how well they had done?

When the Pod dates are out in the New Year I'll post them up and we can decide when and where.

Rick Draper
18-12-02, 11:08 PM
Nope it aint Ian but its coming from somone who lives close to us and is in PNG region 2. Rick

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 11:13 PM
well done to CP nominating himself

good on ya mate!

?Marty?
19-12-02, 12:22 AM
Don't know the person you're on about, but Dave Francis (of Fearless Motorsport) is building a rear wheel drive (and then a four wheel drive - two engines) at the moment. If he's got off his arse and started it yet! :wink:

Ian
19-12-02, 12:52 AM
north v south very unfair as we all know the southerners wouldnt travel north so we would win by default, and we'd kick ur arses at pod anyway cos all the fast cars are up north!

Rick Draper
19-12-02, 10:21 AM
:lol: There will be a few more pressure cookers up north next year wont there ian :lol: Warp tshh. Rick

Ian
19-12-02, 10:38 AM
it seems your mate is going to make himself look a fool beef, been going round telling everyone he will have the fastest nova in europe hahaha

he really should have a look at the ones running mid 12 quarters and one running 11.6 according to someone in sweden, who has posted on mig lmfao

from what i hear he is space framing the car for more space at the front for intercooler, sounds like a non vauxhall engine to me though, although my source insists keeping the 2.0 8v turbo nos motor, and tbh he hasnt a chance with the current engine of being fastest in uk let alone europe.

one more thing firges 500bhp nova gte...

say no more, i suppose its not his fault he is welsh :P

Matt Finary
19-12-02, 10:59 AM
I looking at the low 10's, once I have built my 4wd, 500bhp, cossie powered, Carbon fibre/kevlar/alu shell and chassis Nova :lol: .

Matt :twisted:

beef@novadose.net
19-12-02, 03:32 PM
Glasen is running 12s already and he has heavy backing from EDS which means he can go all the way.

I assume there will be strong competition in the UK which is great for Novafans as it makes a few people sit up and say WTF!? Hope these Novas you speak of make it to the start line in 2003 cos its gonna be an exciting season.

When you say sounds like a non GM engine, do you mean the actual sound of it going up the strip? Cos that noise is the tyres. Its all GM.

For a Southern RWYB don't rule out Shakespear County Raceway in Stratford upon Avon.. its a new surface, and it tends to be a lot quieter than the pod. Check out the Modified Nationals end of May... like Donny in The Park/USC.

Ian
19-12-02, 05:35 PM
i meant that he is fitting a space frame so seems as if he is fitting one to get a different engine in.

and elgan said that the lad had been saying fastest in europe.

Jim
19-12-02, 06:58 PM
north v south very unfair as we all know the southerners wouldnt travel north so we would win by default, and we'd kick ur arses at pod anyway cos all the fast cars are up north!

LOL

Most of the cars up North are all 2.0l anyway, so I'm not surprised you'd kick the southerners arses :P

Jim

Rick Draper
19-12-02, 07:25 PM
:lol: Thats cause the weather is so bastard cold and shit up here through winter we cannot get out of our houses so we fit valver and turbo engines through winter :evil: . Rick

dan16v
19-12-02, 08:31 PM
lol i would not come up north any way as the poverty stricken cobble roads would ruin my suspension! and if i went to race up north id have jet lag coz of the time difference :lol:

Chris LR
19-12-02, 11:15 PM
Forget the cars Wisewood, I'll race you myself.

If I could manage a whole 1/4 mile.

Ian
19-12-02, 11:58 PM
lol i would not come up north any way as the poverty stricken cobble roads would ruin my suspension! and if i went to race up north id have jet lag coz of the time difference :lol:

where was your car built?

thats right the southerners are now importing northern cars darrn sarrf cos even they know the north has the quickest and best cars :P

mikeoxford
20-12-02, 02:26 AM
:lol: this thread made me chuckle - lets have a mildly entertaining and competive STRIP e.g Pod OR ROLLING ROAD DAY - not a grudge match on here!

cos mines faster than yours ner nerrrrr

(lol i bet with his 1.4 - oh well valver on the horisons) LOL a couple of light years away!

?Marty?
20-12-02, 02:35 AM
I'm only wearing my underpants.

Chris LR
20-12-02, 02:39 AM
Well I suppose doing that will take off 0.01 seconds over 1/4 mile.

beef@novadose.net
20-12-02, 03:03 AM
i meant that he is fitting a space frame so seems as if he is fitting one to get a different engine in.

and elgan said that the lad had been saying fastest in europe.

Europe is only as far as the severn bridge for elgan (only kidding m8 :lol: )

I doubt you'll see anything other than GM - cos otherwise it wouldn't be a Nova. Looking at Firges car it seems space framing of the front end would make life a lot easier for most of us for tinkering with the engine, and weight.

I think if anyone wants to say they have the fastest (road legal) Nova in the UK it should at least be front wheel drive and have some sort of Vauxhall lump. Obviously a twin engined Nova would be cool, but then not really practical for 99% of us. Although it will be fun to watch against the twin engined Golfs and GT Turbos. We need to catch up with the FWD europeans anyway... lol

Anyone could stick an Chevy Smallblock V6 (technically GM lol) in the back of a Nova shell and run 11s/12s, but it wouldn't be quite the same.

Ian, I'm thinking of going the 16v route in the saloon, what sort of times did you get before the TBs, and after? My knackered 8v ran a depressing 16.9 at the pod :( but I want 15s this year.

Ian
20-12-02, 11:07 AM
u should get about 14.8-15.2 b4 tbs

mine never was mapped correctly so no idea after, but it should do low 14s maybe high 13s

but then u do have a bigg boot sticking out the back heh cut it off :twisted:

Ian
20-12-02, 11:08 AM
and you mention road legal, does he run slicks? i intend to run road legal cut slicks next year.

dan16v
20-12-02, 02:11 PM
:D Ian that is why when i bought it i had to add extra money to pay for the import costs and vat to bring it bak down south! my car is a northern IMPORT noooooooo :wink: !!
the car has told me personaly tho down south is like a dream come true ,hotter weather, better roads and no coal mine racing! :wink:

beef@novadose.net
20-12-02, 08:25 PM
Road legal moulded slicks. The saloon weighs the same, but theres more metal to get rid of :) And I can go struipped out, and still have a boot to keep my tent in :)

RobHardyUK
22-12-02, 06:52 PM
My nova can technically do 1/4 mile in bout 4secs....... if i was to drive it out the back of a big plane. lol. i think 13 secs is bloody impressive for a nova, the top skylines do it in 7.2 secs. being that they have 4x4, traction control and bout 1400bhp on tap, 13 secs is pretty shockingly fast!

Jimbo
01-01-03, 08:53 PM
So what is the fastest 1/4 mile time that we know of?

13.6?

12.8?

If we all knew the best time it would be handy for the 2003 season. :wink: