PDA

View Full Version : let it breathe! (whisky)

jimbob-mcgrew
28-01-09, 06:28 PM
this is for any of you out there that enjoy a drop of the ol whisky. :thumb:

normally i dont give it the light of day... the bottle gets cracked and down she goes. but a few days ago i cracked a bottle and i was drinking and drinking and it wasnt doing anything to me. i guess im becoming a bit of an alcoholic so to speak and building an immunity to it.

anyhow, yeh bassically i decided to put the bottle down and leave it for another day as i clearly wasnt getting my moneys worth.
2 days later i dived at the bottle.. for medicinal purposes obviously *cough*cough*, and was shocked at how much the smell and taste of it had changed. especially it being a cheap 'n' cheerfull bottle of whisky, they all smell and taste like paint stripper upon the initial crack, but i guess in that coupla days after it got its first taste of oxygen its matured into a blinding drink. can clearly smell a whole rush of woody and fruity flavours (not far from the more expensive and very good brands like glenfiddich), and it tasted a fair bit better too!

so a word of advice to anyone planning a drink or a pissup, crack your bottle a coupla days before and let it breathe for 20 mins or so, put it away and youll be amazed at the transformation.

long live the barley seed, where would i be without it.

Spudly
28-01-09, 06:33 PM
Or if it were medicinal then you just had bunged up sinuses and couldnt smell or taste it? lol

Sloth
28-01-09, 06:44 PM
more to the point, did you neck it all or not?

draper
28-01-09, 06:50 PM
meh, just buy a real whiskey, or brandy or bourbon or stella

Stuart
28-01-09, 06:53 PM
whisky and brandy are the piss of satan

draper
28-01-09, 06:55 PM

and thats a bad thing why ?

Spudly
28-01-09, 06:57 PM

Well theyre not lovingly referred to as "fire water" for nothing you know lol

Sloth
28-01-09, 06:59 PM
stu's showing his lady side methinks, spud, you on the jack tonight?

Spudly
28-01-09, 07:02 PM
Na not tonight im being a good boy and laying off it for a while lol

draper
28-01-09, 07:03 PM
i am !! add me to msn for some bollox lol

Sloth
28-01-09, 07:07 PM
added, im in need of a giggle... get in chat aswell ya battys!

Stuart
28-01-09, 08:32 PM
I'll drink anything aslong as its not whisky/brandy oriented (or stella for that matter lol).

Sloth
28-01-09, 08:46 PM
i agree on the stella thing but spirits are gooooood!

Stuart
28-01-09, 08:54 PM
yes gin, vodka, schnaps (in the right setting... ie up a mountain), Jaegermesiter, rum etc are good.... aforementioned whisky and brandy ewww (although one sneaky let through of cherry brandy with coke to get adults cherry coke lol)

Sloth
28-01-09, 09:26 PM
mmmmmmm....

mowgli
28-01-09, 09:58 PM
try a really good hebridean island single malt.... damned expensive way to get pissed, but most pleasant.

ps. i would only ever buy jack daniels if i needed to wash fox sh1t off my dog

Dod
28-01-09, 10:29 PM
You Homos. Whiskey is ment to taste like that. Cheap and cheerful whiskey is a joke, its like cheap petrol or cheap oil.

You need some hardcore Irish or Scottish Whiskey, that stuff will hurt you when you drink it. Its the proper order. I dont drink often but I wouldnt have a bottle of beer in a night. Just some nice whiskey and less and less coke throughout the night until I'm nicely toasted.

draper
28-01-09, 10:31 PM
You Homos. Whiskey is ment to taste like that. Cheap and cheerful whiskey is a joke, its like cheap petrol or cheap oil.

You need some hardcore Irish or Scottish Whiskey, that stuff will hurt you when you drink it. Its the proper order. I dont drink often but I wouldnt have a bottle of beer in a night. Just some nice whiskey and less and less coke throughout the night until I'm nicely toasted.

i hear you pal

the more you drink the less diluted it gets ;)

Andy
28-01-09, 10:32 PM
What whiskey then doddy?

mowgli
28-01-09, 10:32 PM
whisky (or whiskey) & coke is a waste of two good drinks.... its a classic example to prove the whole can be less than the sum of the parts

whisky & spring water is simply divine.

avoid teachers whisky for the same reason I gave for avoiding jack daniels

Andy
28-01-09, 10:34 PM
Jack daniels doesnt deserve the title "whisky"

mowgli
28-01-09, 10:37 PM

thankyou, a lone voice of reason

draper
28-01-09, 10:37 PM

nope, because its bourboun

mowgli
28-01-09, 10:38 PM
erm. cough cough
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:aHb6LFRUuP9_8M:http://tennesseeguy.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/jack-daniels.jpg (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://tennesseeguy.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/jack-daniels.jpg&imgrefurl=http://tennesseeguy.wordpress.com/2006/11/&usg=__oFkME6oQcW64CAijjz7LALmIl-s=&h=425&w=288&sz=50&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=aHb6LFRUuP9_8M:&tbnh=126&tbnw=85&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djack%2Bdaniels%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DG)

Dar
28-01-09, 11:05 PM
You lot have got me wanting some rum before bed. yum!
I like Pusser's Rum and donations from the sale of a bottle go to a good cause.

wilson_sri
28-01-09, 11:08 PM
Whisky makes me whitey!

mowgli
28-01-09, 11:08 PM
You lot have got me wanting some rum before bed. yum!
I like Pusser's Rum and donations from the sale of a bottle go to a good cause.

the good cause is the old seaman's fund......

Dar
28-01-09, 11:11 PM
the good cause is the old seaman's fund......
Reading off of the back of the bottle it's the Royal Navy Sailor's Fund AKA the 'Tot Fund'

mowgli
28-01-09, 11:12 PM
i was being rude

Dar
28-01-09, 11:13 PM
Oh, I was being slow :D

Sloth
28-01-09, 11:26 PM
right, ive found my dads jura whiskey, and i'd say go get some, its funking tasty!!!

mowgli
28-01-09, 11:42 PM
right, ive found my dads jura whiskey, and i'd say go get some, its funking tasty!!!

that's more like it, but remember, scotch is whisky, some irish & all the american stuff is whiskey

Sloth
29-01-09, 12:17 AM
yip, i have the clan dram aswell.... youngs scottish whiskey, but its £90 a bottle!

ade
29-01-09, 12:21 AM
my misses works for Diageo - the big drinks manufactirer who own the top Island Malts in Scotland. Some of the stuff they produce - the top end stuff is amazing.

Now I cant stand whisky personally but she often swans in with a promo bottle and this stuff is in a different league! When she was given a bottle of Johnny Walker special (think it was green label) the taste difference was unreal compared to the cooking whisky - and as Mowgli said - a small amount of spring water to release the flavours really sets it apart.

of course if you want a real taste explosion - stick a bottle of 1/2 decent whisky in a freezer for a while - then get some really nice 7u0%+ dark chocolate - take a chunk of chocolate on yout trongue and then a swig of neat ice cold whisky - sook it about your mouth and its supposed to be superb!

And for a decent bourbon try Bullit - its mainly made for the American market but its the more "classy" bourbon unlike JD which is for neds!

Sloth
29-01-09, 12:46 AM
aye ive had bullit, its very good! ill also reccomend bisongrass vodka, its slightly green and you get it in tescos. dont mix, just drink and savour it...

jimbob-mcgrew
29-01-09, 12:48 AM

hahahah - i drink my own piss in that case lol

... maybe i should, its probably 40% proof.

dj_wudgey
29-01-09, 01:19 PM
i hate anything thats a spirit or like one they taste fooking foul lager is the only drink!!!

turbojolt
29-01-09, 01:24 PM
i have never heard of letting whiskey breath before is it a well know thing and you stumbled across it by accident

The Simps
29-01-09, 01:42 PM
And for a decent bourbon try Bullit - its mainly made for the American market but its the more "classy" bourbon unlike JD which is for neds!

Bulliet is awesome!!

I can't really stand scotch but did get into drinking Jack Daniels (which as mowgli pointed out is a sour mash not bourbon ;) ). When I was in the states in the summer a mate got me to try a few others like Makers Mark which is really nice but I fell in love with Bulliet! The difference being the smoothness of it. The 1st few sips of JD you have you always wince slightly but Bulleit not at all.

I have a couple of glasses of Bulliet & coke a nite and I sleep like a baby most nites!

jimbob-mcgrew
29-01-09, 07:04 PM
i used to drink buckets of JD, thought the stuff was great, but after drinking different varieties of whisky for a while and my tastes changing, its waaay too sweet for me now. same as southern comfort, cant touch the stuff anymore, mainly to do with the fact that i drank 3 quarters of a litre and threw up big-stylee, then passed out, now.. just smelling it triggers hatred.

for me at this present moment in life, a good single malt scottish is the daddy. takes the pain away and leaves me with a clear head :thumb:

turbojolt
29-01-09, 07:13 PM
i have never personally been able to drink spirits straight i always cringe lol dont know how people can sit in a pub drinking rum or brandy or wiskey if i done it i would look like a spaz the way it makes my face go lol

The Simps
29-01-09, 08:37 PM
same as southern comfort, cant touch the stuff anymore, mainly to do with the fact that i drank 3 quarters of a litre and threw up big-stylee, then passed out, now.. just smelling it triggers hatred.

I have the same problem with Lilt. Mixed it with malibra one night when I was 14 and was unsuprisingly very unwell!!!

I want to curve my "couple" of whiskies a nite habit as it can't be good for me - I'm buildin up a tolerance so it will be harder & more expensive to get drunk!! lol

Dod
29-01-09, 10:16 PM
whisky (or whiskey) & coke is a waste of two good drinks.... its a classic example to prove the whole can be less than the sum of the parts

whisky & spring water is simply divine.

I completely disagree mate. Diluting it with water just ruins it where as with Coke it adds flavour and the carbonation in the Coke (or the bubbley fizzy stuff) helps you stop falling asleep. Also, when you drink as much as me a night you do need something to reduce dehydration.

Andy
29-01-09, 10:22 PM
Which brand do you drink dod?

Sloth
29-01-09, 10:24 PM
sod that get in chat!!!

Dod
29-01-09, 11:58 PM
Dod drinks Jameson or Powers, both Irish and both bliss.

jimbob-mcgrew
30-01-09, 12:15 AM
simps - my mums told me stories from a friend of hers that used to work in the police as a coroner, and by his assessment, he could instantly tell a whisky drinker by the state of thier arteries, apprently there prety clear incomparison to usual. so maybe its not such a bad thing. might keep u strong and fit for years to come.. untill your liver packs up that is (im way ahead of ya on that one prob) but a good thing to know, i hear the liver is one of the rare organs in the body that can repair/regenerate itself, (my guess is thru evolution of crap going thru over the zillions of years, its a double 'ard ba5tard) so youll prob be all good :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
30-01-09, 12:19 AM
and dod - its funny with coke.. some people get enraged about it, others expect it. my say on the matter is.. if its a REALLY good whisky (which, lets face it are fairly rare and not most of us can afford them at that), its a bit criminal to water it down with coke. but the majority of whisky's i agree it adds to the flavour and definatly keeps u more fired up which balances out the hit of the drink so u can get even more tw4tted lol

J4MES
30-01-09, 01:08 AM
Here you go guys just munch on the aspirin...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7850623.stm

Sloth
30-01-09, 01:16 AM
wicked, pills and booze, sounds like a good un......

(jokes)

mowgli
30-01-09, 09:41 AM
my sister once went to the bar & ordered a whisky & orange and a coke, and thats exactly what she got......in the same glass!! the barman couldn't see what the problem was.. it had curdled