PDA

View Full Version : Ford 'Revoknuckle'

Welsh Dan
28-01-09, 02:04 PM
"The new Ford Focus RS is equipped with an innovative front suspension system known as a ‘RevoKnuckle’, which is designed to reduce unwanted steering disturbance and torque steer, the impact of torque on steering in front-wheel driven vehicles. Torque steer occurs during hard acceleration, cornering or driving on uneven surfaces, when torque on the driven wheels exceeds grips levels. It is characterised by sudden turning force on the steering wheel and can be exacerbated by vehicles with wide tyres and limited-slip differentials.

Here is some more info on focaljet. (http://forums.focaljet.com/suspension/585922-future-fwd-performance-revo-knuckle.html)

mowgli
28-01-09, 02:09 PM
interesting. as ford invented both macpherson struts & also torque steer, that they sort it out.......
it must add to the unsprung weight quite a bit.

what was the arrangement on the fwd lotus elan se??? that had some funky joints

loggyboy
28-01-09, 02:32 PM
The m100 Elan was double wishbone:

http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/m100-lcu-manual/m100fsus.gif

mowgli
28-01-09, 02:48 PM
so very similar in concept then, but ford managed it without any body mods...
to be honest, if the mac strut had an offset top pivot, then it would do the same job as the ford one but with much less work

Mint FRST
28-01-09, 09:03 PM
IIRC Renault use a similar set up on there Renaultsport Megane's and Clio's...

Obviously the Ford set up is far superior! lol I would say that though as mines due in March...

Ben
29-01-09, 12:28 AM
Seen a new Focus RS the other day, was awesome, was amazed!

I know there not out in the UK but seen a German one in Belguim lol

Jack
29-01-09, 07:46 AM
interesting. as ford invented macpherson struts
No they didn't, Fiat did. Ford just nabbed the idea and stuck their guy's name on it.

Stuart
29-01-09, 08:21 AM
Seen a new Focus RS the other day, was awesome, was amazed!

I know there not out in the UK but seen a German one in Belguim lol

I dunno.... I've seen a couple here rhd/uk plates, hell, have even driven one :D. Plus a modded one already lol

Ben
29-01-09, 11:37 AM
I dunno.... I've seen a couple here rhd/uk plates, hell, have even driven one :D. Plus a modded one already lol

What was it like to drive? Critics have slammed them due to the FWD and too much power issues.

Stuart
29-01-09, 11:50 AM
tbh is no "worse" than the Mountune 265bhp version of the ST.

yes it torque steers, yes is not the ideal platform for so much power etc, but hell its a giggle!

The gearboxes wont last long enough for most folks to get the most from the car anyway :D

dj_wudgey
29-01-09, 12:56 PM
[quote=Ben]Seen a new Focus RS the other day, was awesome, was amazed!

i hate them me they went wrong when they stoped doing the rs the new focuses just get worse looking each time they bring one out imo!!!

but then i hate MOST new cars they are all ugly and look to have been styled by a chimp!!

Lee
29-01-09, 01:55 PM
I thought for a minute this was a component on the OLD RS, so i laughed seeing as it torque steers so much, left to its own devices it would turn within 90 degrees!

Not seen a new one yet, they ditching the ST badge again?

dj_wudgey
29-01-09, 02:34 PM
Not seen a new one yet, they ditching the ST badge again?[/quote]

i dont know matey im not shure if they have or not i still thought it was the ST though!! but then again i didnt really take much notice what its called beacause its horrid lol

Stuart
29-01-09, 03:35 PM
its a lightly adjusted ST in terms of looks and RS badges rather than ST.

Lee
29-01-09, 03:37 PM
They need to make their mind up lol

Jack
29-01-09, 03:38 PM
Wasn't it Ford who offered a diesel version of the ST?

rofl @ the badge on the back of that car. Much like the humour involved in Impreza STi's lol

Lee
29-01-09, 03:44 PM
Or the Ka Si. That was always a good laugh lol

mowgli
29-01-09, 04:11 PM
Or the Ka Si. That was always a good laugh lol

I once got pulled over in my astramax by 2 coventry cops in one of those!!!!

they thought I was making a run for it, but I didn't see them in my blind spot, and it took them a mile to get enough momentum up to pass me

Welsh Dan
29-01-09, 05:15 PM
Wasn't it Ford who offered a diesel version of the ST?

rofl @ the badge on the back of that car. Much like the humour involved in Impreza STi's lol

They do a diesel ST mondeo, not a bad car for a cheap stump puller. 155PS as standard, but with a decat+remap you'll get close to 200bhp and bags of torque to go with it.

The same engine in a fiesta would be a right giggle.

Stuart
29-01-09, 05:20 PM
currently (and sadly) the fastest mondeo on the market is the 2.2 Derv one... 420NM of torque, yummy

Mint FRST
29-01-09, 05:35 PM
its a lightly adjusted ST in terms of looks and RS badges rather than ST.

Have to disagree here... How come you have driven one?

The car has wider track Front and rear and has wider wheels and so to accomodate them has wider arches all round. The front styling and bonnet complete with vents are unique to the RS also along with the rear spoiler and lower diffuser...

The engine is much revised also... Gearbox has 1-3 ratio's shot peened along with a less aggressive quaife ATB.

Rant over as who cares as mine is due within 6 weeks.

Some bedtime reading...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/full_press_release_new_ford_focus_rs.html

dj_wudgey
29-01-09, 05:41 PM
They do a diesel ST mondeo, not a bad car for a cheap stump puller. 155PS as standard, but with a decat+remap you'll get close to 200bhp and bags of torque to go with it.

The same engine in a fiesta would be a right giggle.

its a diesel though lol they sound poo i just cant get entertained by driving them me drove a few off them mondeo st's the diesel one's and tbh i was more entertained by a subaru justy 1.3 beast (basicly a 4wheel drive swift)!!

edit thats almost a p*ss take on the justy actually i was'nt just more entertained by it!!! they are a right barrel off fun lol

Lee
29-01-09, 05:44 PM
Rant over as who cares as mine is due within 6 weeks.

The root of all indignant ranting lol

Stuart
29-01-09, 05:48 PM
How come you have driven one?

ohhh the magic of working in the industry ;) get to have a dabble with a modified one on tuesday too :)

The car has wider track Front and rear and has wider wheels and so to accomodate them has wider arches all round. The front styling and bonnet complete with vents are unique to the RS also along with the rear spoiler and lower diffuser...

The engine is much revised also... Gearbox has 1-3 ratio's shot peened along with a less aggressive quaife ATB.

spoiler, diffuser, arches, wheels.... all mildly cosmetic changes from the current ST.

That gearbox is still at its very limit on std RS power (infact its only really warranted to 400NM of torque lol), plus the engine is only rated by volvo to 296bhp, meaning its less than likely to last well given the "demographic" of predicted owners lol

Lee
29-01-09, 05:51 PM
its less than likely to last well given the "demographic" of predicted owners lol

Usual 20K manufacturers service interval when it should be 5K again by any chance? lol

Stuart
29-01-09, 05:59 PM
Usual 20K manufacturers service interval when it should be 5K again by any chance? lol

more like 5 minutes lol

Mint FRST
29-01-09, 06:16 PM
ohhh the magic of working in the industry ;) get to have a dabble with a modified one on tuesday too :)

spoiler, diffuser, arches, wheels.... all mildly cosmetic changes from the current ST.

That gearbox is still at its very limit on std RS power (infact its only really warranted to 400NM of torque lol), plus the engine is only rated by volvo to 296bhp, meaning its less than likely to last well given the "demographic" of predicted owners lol

Body is very different though when say comparing a Astra VXR and a Sports Hatch?

Demographic lol

I was under the understanding the block is rated to alot more hence the change of pistons and crank?

BRoadGhost
29-01-09, 06:38 PM
What a fuss over such a thing. Not like some fragile 80 year old is gonna be driving anything FWD over 200HP hard.

So the answer is simple:-

http://www.alexanderphotoimaging.com/LifestyleImages/BW_MuscleArm.jpg

Mint FRST
29-01-09, 06:53 PM
lol

The purists will always hate it for not being 4x4 or even RWD but in the dry I am convinced it will be awesome...

Stuart
29-01-09, 07:21 PM
oh its a giggle thats for sure... and lets face it, thats what its all about.

its not perfect, nothing is.