PDA

View Full Version : OE topmounts on GAZ coilovers

craig green
28-01-09, 11:27 AM
To make sure I get it right, has anyone got pics or a diagram as to how they have put the std topmounts onto fr coilovers?

Do I leave off the std spring platform?

garyc
28-01-09, 12:07 PM
They go on the same as normal. on my gold's I used the supplied top hat to hold the spring 2.25 spring. On some 2.1 springs they sat quite nincely in the original spring platoform, but I think they would have been better with the proper spring top hat.

craig green
28-01-09, 02:07 PM
So shall I leave out the OE spring platform?

Anyone got pics?

GRUNT 16V
28-01-09, 03:02 PM
Im Pretty Sure You Still Need Them As That Is Where The Top Bearing Is Mounted Bud But Lose The Rubber Spring Buffer

craig green
28-01-09, 03:57 PM
Yeah, there is a bearing in the spring platform which I always assumed was the main load bearing part of the std top mount.

I've dropped all the bits over the top of the struts but wasn't sure if it was right or not. I'd rather ask & only have to fit them once.

I'll have another look, only tried quickly last night when I was locking up.

Adam
28-01-09, 06:17 PM
You re-use everything apart from that rubber spring cup off the top of the spring.

craig green
29-01-09, 05:25 PM
I've pretty much sussed it out & that is the case.

I looked at TV's guide when Chris Astley fitted the AVO's to Dougies & AVo supply a bearing with their fr shocks for the top mount despite the upper spring cup & piston arrangement looking pretty much the same. It seems daft to have the whole spring cup doing nothing aswell.

Nevermind, eccentric top mounts on their way!

Benn
31-01-09, 10:16 PM
Any help? I beileve this are fitting right..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_4659.jpg

Adam
31-01-09, 10:23 PM
Yep, thats how i ran my avos /\

Benn
31-01-09, 10:25 PM
Thats how i ran/run my Gaz and theyve been fine, even if i have the eccentric mounts sitting there.