PDA

View Full Version : panel prep ???

v1nce
16-12-02, 01:15 PM
i think it must have something 2 do with turning in2 a teenager but my sri has developed a rash of rust spots on the drivers wing.
like stone chip that have been badly repaired.

my grand plan is 2 get the whole car resparyed next spring, but thats a long time off and the motors looking scabby so the short term plan is 2 get a ?15 wing from the scrappy and paint it up. this is wot im look 4 advice on...

i have a compressor and can get my hands on a wing and the paint. wot do i do then ????

wot the best colour 2 paint white on 2 ??? how do i perpare the panel 4 painting (like wot grades of paper 2 use)??and wots the best way of achieving a good finish???

ade
22-12-02, 02:33 AM
if you have patchy rust on surface under paint prob rotten through from other side meaning selaer on innerside has failed.

Its all in the prep

Get a new panel or clean up a second hand one. Newer ones are about ?30 and dont need any prep. Older ones need prep - need to offset cost of prepping against cost of new panel!

to clean up old panel - simply follow this -

List of things -

If using spray gun - get etch primer, primer and paint and lacquer - best using 2 pak but you WILL need breathing aparatus. best to use cans for one panel. Will last till spring and look fine

Primer - white if car is white (cans will do for a wing)
paint - white (cans will do for a wing)
Lacquer (cans will do ladadada)
p120 paper
p240 paper
p600 paper
p800 paper
p1200 paper
degreaser/panel wipe
tack cloth (optional)
bitumen paint or hammerite
mastick (not silicole sealer)
warm soapy water
Body filler/p38.p40 - fibreglass (depends on state of holes on panel etc)

Following dtls for can sparying -
Take panel off car - see haynes. You may find unexpected holes behindjoins where bumber goes etc so this may influence your decision on getting new panel.

Start by sanding back (use orbital sander = quicker) wing to bare metal in all rusted areas and at least 3" around using 120 grit dry
once sanded back - smooth using 240 and then 600 sandpaper - on sander - dry

DO NOT GET PANEL WET

Clean up inside of panel - check no rust - use above procedure - to protect outside - you could do this 1st or just put some cloth down on your work surface to stop o/s of panel getting scratched

Repair any holes with body filler and clean up using DRY wet n dry.

Degrease inside of panel - use tack cloth to remove any last bits of dust (do this after all drgreasing)

Before spraying any paint (primer, paint or lacquer) - qst sit can in very hot but not boiling water for 5 mins. this helps llsen the paint making it easier to spray - make sure you shake it for 2 mins too!

Spray inside with primer - 4 coats - allow to dry between coats. Allow to dry for a couple of hours

Turn panel over and degrease outside and spray with primer - 4 coats - allow to dry between each. Make sure you get all edges around lips etc...

Allow to dry for 24 hours at least n warm area.

Once dry smooth outside with 800 wet n dry - wet - soak in warm soapy water. UYse your hands and watch the edges . you only want to take the roughness off the paint so a light skim will do the job.

Wipe off any excess water and allow to dry fully - use a hairdryer for example

Turn panel over (make sure work area dry and protect outside with bubble pack or similar) degrease inside and spray the inside of the panel with white paint. No need to sand inside as you aint gonna see it. 4 coats - allow to dry between each

Once dry (after 2 hours) - turn back on outside and degrease outside, tack cloth pane and spray in white paint - allow to dry bwtween coats (4 coats).

leave for 24 hours to harden in warm place (longer if possible)

protect outside with bubble pack and now paint the inside with bitument paint or similar sealer (hamerite is v good but bitumen paint is excellent!)
Allow to dry - 2 hours

Once dry - the outside can now be smoothed using 1200 wet n dry (WET) - use warm soapy water., As its white, you wont see many whirl marks as white hides most errors. you just want to take the rougnedd off the paint. Once done, dry fully and degrease (as with primer stage).

Leave for 24 hours

Now you can lacquer the wing. This is optional but will pritect it and make it shine to match the rest of the car.

Degrease the outside wing (ignore inside this is now finished) - and spray lacuer (after warming and shaking it) - 4 coats - you wont see it so watch out for runs! Once finished - leave for at least 3 days and dont polish or do anything to it for at least 10 days

Wing complete!

If your car is white your v lucky cos you can pretty much fook it up and still get away with it (light colours are VERY forgiving) - the worst colour except metalics, flips pearls etc is red - too may shades!

Hope this helps - PM me for me if you need it

Ade

:wink:

ade
22-12-02, 02:35 AM
OH - mastic is so you can stick wing back on - make sure you replace all grommits (like the one that the side indicator lights wires run to - other wise the car will leak like mine did!

make sure you run mastic down the engine bay inner wing top, A frame and anywhere wher eits joining (front of lower section of car for example)

Ade
:D