PDA

View Full Version : my car wont start unless jump started please help guys!!!!!

Ben Ritchie
16-12-02, 12:41 PM
when i turn the key i just get a klunk which sounds like it was coming from my starter motor so i replaced it and the fcuking thing still aint workin :evil: .the only other things i can think of is that one of the relays is loose or my immobiliser has got something to do with it. anyone have any thoughts :(

Nova1.6
16-12-02, 12:47 PM
kick it?

Ben Ritchie
16-12-02, 01:09 PM
nah i dont want to dent my car but i have felt like kicking it badly.

Nova1.6
16-12-02, 02:17 PM
how about taking it out for a nice meal, walk by the river, kiss under the stars?

Chris LR
16-12-02, 02:21 PM
The bigger the problem, the bigger the hammer is you fix it with.

Sounds kinda obvious, but your battery has got full charge and is holding it?

d0gz_bollox
16-12-02, 02:24 PM
by a battery tester for about ?2. start the car and check the voltage. should be around 13-14v if your alternator is working.

Chris LR
16-12-02, 02:30 PM
Also remember batterys don't last more than about 5 years max.

mikeoxford
16-12-02, 03:00 PM
my money is on alternator

Nova1.6
16-12-02, 03:15 PM
my money is in my pocket.

Ben Ritchie
16-12-02, 03:18 PM
cheers guys, i will get it checked out.

d0gz_bollox
16-12-02, 03:20 PM
I brought a battery (cost me ?40!!!) runs flat soooo easy :(

Ben Ritchie
16-12-02, 03:23 PM
?40 fcuk.

wisewood
16-12-02, 03:26 PM
i reckon it sounds like alternator...
might be worth trying battery from a mates car if you can though to be sure.

and SheepDip... very helpful of you mate - well done :?

Ben Ritchie
16-12-02, 03:40 PM
i have tried another battery westwood and still no joy :( . How much will a new alternator cost me :?:

d0gz_bollox
16-12-02, 03:41 PM
oh and if you get a voltage tester DO NOT put it on the coil, no matter how tempted you are. I did and all the bulbs on the tester popped :(

Ben Ritchie
16-12-02, 03:52 PM
it is pretty tempting but i will give it a miss mate.cheers for the advice

Anton
16-12-02, 05:05 PM
i agree alternator problem me thinks :P

carltoncrazy
16-12-02, 05:14 PM
yep i 2nd that alternator,

Chris LR
16-12-02, 08:15 PM
A new alt would probably set you back ?60-?70 at a guess for a new one
About ?30-?40 re-con

But you'll have give em your old one. If it's a common nova try a scrappy.

Ben Ritchie
17-12-02, 10:50 AM
all the lights on the dash do come on when i turn the key but nuthing happens.its really fcuking me off now.?40 for an alternator i suppose i will have to. i have replaced the starter motor, the battery already.

CP
17-12-02, 10:59 PM
Step 1.
Check battery. Buy or borrow a battery tester - its like 2 big pointed prongs with handles on the top and a strip of flat bendy steel in between with some asbestos plates either side to stop you from burning yourself. You jam one prong into one teminal and the other prong into the other. There's dial on top which tells you whether its OK or not. Watch yourself it gets fcuk hot!!!! Maybe go to a garage for this if its easier. Make sure terminals are connected tightly.

Step 2. If Batt. OK but still not starting, check earth leads - one on end of gear box onto body and maybe one on alternator adjuster arm. Take them off and re-fit to check good earth.

Step 3. Carefully check wiring to the starter motor and alternator. Connectors and wiring into them can corrode and fail inside even if it looks OK from the outside. Double check against another Nova and make sure you got all the wires back on the starter motor right cos you might have made a mistake replacing them when you swapped it.

Step 4. If it still wont turn over but it does make a clunking/clicking noise then maybe the starter motor needs coming off again? At this stage you'll probably find it easier/more effective to get some professional help?

TUBZGSXR
18-12-02, 09:44 PM
ive had exactly the same problem with mine, im no mechanic at all, havent realy got a clue wot to do! sum of my mates friends are mechanics so i think im gona get one of them round to have a look rather than callin out sum random mobile mechanic! but yea its realy pissin me off :evil: and i havent even got my car on the road at the moment!!! just duno wot it could be! engines in good nick, battery seems to be able to charge the lights, radio etc.. well enough, but it just pings when i try and start it, desnt even have the power to get the starter motor goin!! wots goin on! ahhhhhhh! anyways il have to see wot the mechanic says, im prayin its just sumthin inexpensive and simple......... ha ha :|

Phil_G
19-12-02, 01:27 AM
Hi

halfords test batteries for free....

Phil

Ben Ritchie
27-12-02, 11:35 AM
i have now replaced the alternator and the fcuking thing aint workin.the only thing left is my immobiliser. i think water may have gotten into the wires and caused a big fcuk up.novas i love them but by god they can been the most annoying little cars!!. still i cud never get rid of mine.

Masi
27-12-02, 06:07 PM
Every fucking something goes wrong with mine. I had same prob as u, tried to start u get a click/clunk noise. It's a flat battery caused by faulty altenator, click/clunk = Start motor trying to start, not enough power thou to get it to go over.

Goto scrap yard, cost u a ?10 and they check them over

Ben Ritchie
28-12-02, 07:36 PM
ok people i have finally found the problem with my fcuking car after replacing starter motor,alternator and battery. wot happened was a couple of the fuses had blown you know the fuses beside your steering wheel.anyway replaced them and the b@st@rd thing is working fine now. all that time and money wasted when it was a sh!tty little thing anyway cheers for all the help guys.was appreciated greatly

Ben Ritchie
28-12-02, 08:22 PM
its the easiest way to do it micky. thats what scrappys are for. i spoke to mark iday and he was saying he misses the black beastie. fcuking fuses annoying little b@st@rds