PDA

View Full Version : paint work?

blacknovagsi
25-01-09, 10:06 PM
any suggestions on the quickest and best ways to take my shell back to bare metal (on a small budget) ie not blasting? i'm guna give the old rustolium effort a go:roll:

meritlover
25-01-09, 10:26 PM
there is a clash of terms here

quickest,
best,
small budget,

pick 2. you cannot have 3

blacknovagsi
25-01-09, 10:28 PM
best, small budget

meritlover
25-01-09, 10:32 PM
nitromorse and wet and dry

do you REALLY have to do a full baremetal respray?

im sure its not necessary even if there are spots here and there. if you're going to scrimp on the stripping then how much are you going to spend on the respray?

in which case is the finnished result really going to justify the effort if the long run?

Simon 1867
25-01-09, 10:34 PM
^^^ Im have to agree with meritlover, think about it carefully.Not worth scrimping.

blacknovagsi
25-01-09, 10:48 PM
as i put in the first post i'm guna do the roller thing with rustolium but just want to start from bare steel, i don't wana scrimp on the job as still wana do it well, just can't afford a spray job as i just spent a grand sortin the front of my mini. i'm still guna put all the effort in just wanted to know the quickest and cheapest route to getting the car to bare steel as i think that this is the best way to do it.

bai1ey
25-01-09, 10:53 PM
nitromorse is your best bet unless you can get your hands on some paint stripping acid. but i would cover it in nitromorse and leave it over night then be really carefull with a paint scraper rapped in a cloth. should do the trick

blacknovagsi
25-01-09, 10:57 PM
how many attempt do you reckon it'l take? just so i know how much nitromorse to get. have you ever done one like that?

Benn
25-01-09, 11:05 PM
You'll need 2-3 big tins of nitromorse, score over the paint first so its got a lip to get under. Then cover it with plastic sheeting. The heat helps to speed everything up. Then you'll have to sand and or scotch thesurface.

But taking the paint off can show alot of bad bits, any fill wont really come out.

Why dont you just sand it back and then repaint?
What are you gonna roller? If its the colour, then no point in stripping it and the finish will look sh*t.

Plug
25-01-09, 11:06 PM
nitromorse will do it in one hit

bai1ey
25-01-09, 11:11 PM
i used to work at a diesel workshop and nitromorse took really thick SH*TY rubbery paint off in about a hour without scoring it so if you score it and use the thing right you shudnt use to much

blacknovagsi
25-01-09, 11:13 PM
yeah once id' got a nice smooth surface to work on i w guna prime it then flate it then keep building layers of colour up, flat it back then nuke it all with the buffing machine, it's a track slaglol

Benn
25-01-09, 11:16 PM
You wanna buff up primer?

meritlover
25-01-09, 11:21 PM
yeah once id' got a nice smooth surface to work on i w guna prime it then flate it then keep building layers of colour up, flat it back then nuke it all with the buffing machine, it's a track slaglol

why go to all this effort for a track car? i really dont think it needs to be stripped, a good buff with a DA sander then plenty of primer, flatten back, fill if needed, more primer, paint, then buff.

finish will be great if done properly.

bai1ey
25-01-09, 11:24 PM
tbh at the end of the day i dont think it needs stipping back to bear metal but if that is waht you want to do then go for it

DW-Nova
28-01-09, 10:47 PM
As many people have already said it may not be necessary to bare metal the whole car, escecially if your not trying to go for a concours finish, i think that you would be best of going over the whole car with a panel whipe then a da sander with say 400 grit, bare metal any areas that need filling, prime it all and paint with 2 pack then buff, will be more than good enough for a track car, biggest problem will be dust in the paint which will be eaisly rectified by wet flatting and polishing, defo buy yourself a da sander and polisher though ! will save an amazing amount of time, best of luck and get some piccies up.