PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Steering Racks

Graeme
24-01-09, 07:03 PM
After spending the day poly bushing the front end of my daily driver, it still seems to have a lack of steering reponse, you can turn the wheel from left to right quiet a lot without it having an effect. I've had a look at the column and UJ which all seem fine to the best of my knowledge, which leads to the problem being the 'rack. Which leads me to my question are they all the same, I'm probably going to get a replacement from Partco as mate uses them at his garage and gets good discount. Does any one see a problem or anything else i should know or change at the same time, I was thinking about doing the bottom ball joints and trackrod ends and then that'll make everything nice and new. As always thanks for reading and any input provided

AlexW
24-01-09, 07:40 PM
Well if your set on a new rack fit it with new track rod ends too (Think mine cost me £4 each) but check the steering and lower ball joints, and i cant remember your last thread but have you tried jacking up the car and trying to wiggle the wheel? see if it moves in any way?

craig green
24-01-09, 07:48 PM
The rack is mechanical, if you turn the wheel, the steering should move by a set amount dertermined by the ratio of the rack & pinion mechanism.

Odd

Southie
24-01-09, 08:33 PM
Does sound odd as Craig mentioned. One of the best investments for mine was getting a quikrack. Definatly worth the money and you will notice the difference, especially with polybushes attached.

let_nova
24-01-09, 08:35 PM
hare you tried checking the wheel alignment ?

ant_tay
24-01-09, 09:10 PM
i have this problem on my drivers side hub where the bottom ball joint goes in to the hub the hub worn so evan the new lower ball joinr i put in still moves about makeing my steering very slack

Graeme
24-01-09, 09:10 PM
Did consider a Quickrack but not sure how suited to everyday use they were, I have tried moving the wheel top to bottom and side to side and there is no movement whatsoever and I know what your saying Craig but there is a fair bit of turn of the wheel before it starts to take effect if you know what I mean, also the tracking was done trice on two different sets of gauges and has been true both times

meritlover
24-01-09, 09:13 PM
you must check the wheel alignment. i fear your wheels are pointing all over the place.

also check the camber. even a std rack should not feel vague.

AlexW
24-01-09, 09:25 PM
That sounds like the track rod ends, but seems weird there is no movment in the wheel....

Hmmm if its not the bushes, not the ballljoints and presume not the rack.....

I would check the joint from the collum to rack, i know you said it was fine but is the movment from the wheel transferd to the rack?